Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Testicular cancer and burn pit (Iraq)

Rate this question

USMC3024

Question

Now that reproductive organs are on the presumption list for burn pits I wanted to ask if anyone has had a claim approved for testicular cancer? My backstory is: deployed to Iraq ‘04 to ‘05, our FOB had a good size burn pit. I left service in ‘06. In ‘08 I was diagnosed with testicular cancer, I had my left testicle removed and underwent radiation treatment. In 2010 the cancer returned, but in my chest, I went through 4 rounds of chemo. In 2014 I submitted a claim for the loss of a testicle and the cancer, but was denied as it was not deemed service connected. I had not submitted a claim during either treatment due to my own ignorance but I assume the outcome would not have been in my favor. I if anyone has had a similar experience I would really appreciate any info on what to expect or I should do? All of my treatments were at VA Hospitals and I recently submitted a new claim for these issues. I read a little on special monthly compensation and would think it applies to the loss of my testicle, but for the actual cancer I’m not expecting much to happen with that other than 0% rating. 

Edited by USMC3024

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Its obviously too late to appeal the 2014 denial (1 year period limit on appeals from VARO, 120 days on VBA decisions), but you can/should try again.  

Frankly most of us were denied the first time, and had to appeal to get benefits.  Its what VA does.  

Keep trying, persistence pays off when quitting does not.   It took me a long time, but I got all my benefits, with VA fighting me for every nickel.  

Never give up.  You should ask for expidited service because of your cancer.  Good luck.  

To start, get you a VSO and/or file a supplemental claim.  It probably should have never been denied, but, again, its what the VA does..almost all of us have been denied, most of us were denied more than once.  

I think I was denied on 5 RO decisions, and had 2 awards, had 4 BVA decisions, and 3 times went to the CAVC to appeal board denials.  But, eventually I won mostly by persistence and a lot of help at hadit, especially from Berta.