Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had a Hearing

Rate this question

AngryA

Question

Hello,  back in November I had an appeal hearing, then on May 6 I was notified regarding  “Status: The Board made a decision on your appeal” and that an increase in rating was granted regarding one condition and few others were now service connected.

It is my understanding that now VARO works on establishing ratings and dates for said conditions…my question is whether there is an approximate timeframe that I could expect? Is it 4-5 mos?

Thanks!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

No.   The va has a fast letter addressing "partial grants" which they are supposed to pay you for, even if other issues are denied/remanded.  All this said, VA does not alway follow their own rules.  If VA precisely followed the rules to the letter, then the Board of Veterans appeals and cavc would have to be shut down, as they would not be needed.  There is little chance of that happening any time soon.  

As far as an estimated date for a bva implementation, I have seen them in a month, or rarely less, and they can be a year or more, or even never.  An average guess would be 2 to 6 months after receipt of the board decision.  

8 hours ago, broncovet said:

No.   The va has a fast letter addressing "partial grants" which they are supposed to pay you for, even if other issues are denied/remanded.  All this said, VA does not alway follow their own rules.  If VA precisely followed the rules to the letter, then the Board of Veterans appeals and cavc would have to be shut down, as they would not be needed.  There is little chance of that happening any time soon.  

As far as an estimated date for a bva implementation, I have seen them in a month, or rarely less, and they can be a year or more, or even never.  An average guess would be 2 to 6 months after receipt of the board decision.  

Thank you for that info.

Not sure if it's relevant at all, or simple coincidence, but I did receive a form from the VA few weeks back, asking to verify the number of dependents. I was hoping it was a precursor to backpay.

It could well be relevant, but if I could accurately predict "what va will do" in xzy circumstance, then I would be wasting my predictive skills, and would do better buying lottery tickets with  that that much prophetic skill.  VA is made up of around 600,000 employees, I think, and pretty much all of these have different ideas on most things including how to process veterans claims.  The va is not a unified body, where every employee is a robot and does things exactly the same way.  

Instead, like us, they have good days, and bad days, and mostly the outcome of our claim, including process time, is often dependent upon "how veteran friendly" that employee is, and often, how good of a day they have had.  

Any one of maybe thousands of va employees may be working on your claim on any given day, and its often the "luck of the draw" on which employee you get.  

This is one reason "persistence" often pays off.  You just may get a veteran friendly employee, in a great mood willing to help the next time.  Or, you can get Mr. Grinch who just had a bowlful of nails this morning for breakfast.  You never know, but, by keep on trucking, you should eventually get your just compensation.  

Edited by broncovet