VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Commissary Use

Mostly, you will need an ID card, which needs to be a military ID.  You can get that on post, but you will need several things, which will include a disability letter/and or retirement verifications.  

You have to go on post to get the id card, but they will likely let you on with a drivers license and maybe a VA card, and you would likely get some sort of temporary id to get you on post, then go get a regular commissary/on post id card.  Thats what I did, it was several years ago and I doubt its changed. 

Some bases have an office just before the main gate (Travis AFB) where you can stop show them your ID to include current state drivers license and a VA medical ID card with your photo.  This will get you on base and maybe allow you to use the PX and commissary without military ID but maybe not.

For many years now I have had a military DAV ID card marked Indefinite that has allowed me to use all the base facilities and I have done so many many times.  Over a year ago I received the new military ID card from the base Deers office.  

As a 100% P&T vet I have saved a lot of money and had a good time using the following base MWR and other facilities free of charge or with deep discounts.

1. RV park,  2. PX/BX,  3. Commissary, 4. Full  workout large GYMs, 4. On base Monarch dinning hall, 5. Outdoor recreation areas and store to include trailer rentals, 6. Library with free WIFI, 7. Bowling alley and theater.  8., Many other on base fast food and stores, 9. Class 6 Liquor store, 10. Lake fishing facilities and campground sites. 11. Golf course and shop and tennis courts. 12. Much more including staying at the onbase Air Force modern and clean Inns with wifi plus TV for $85.00 a night with free coffee.

Last but not least I can fly Space A anywhere in USA and Guam/Hawaii free on military aircraft as a Category IV standby 100% P&T vet.

Many years ago I flew Space A all over the USA on my Army National Guard ID with local unit commanding officer travel orders (1 page form with a few lines with his stamp signature that I filled out myself).  It was an adventure.

To get an actual military DAV ID card you will have to go to a military DEERS facility with all the proper paper work and at least two forms of ID with your recent photo such as VA ID card, Drivers license, etc.  You can see latest base access and military cards here.    https://www.cac.mil/

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO.

close up zoomed perkins with purple heart cap - Copy - Copy (2).JPG

Edited by Dustoff1970

On 6/6/2023 at 9:36 PM, Dustoff1970 said:

Some bases have an office just before the main gate (Travis AFB) where you can stop show them your ID to include current state drivers license and a VA medical ID card with your photo.  This will get you on base and maybe allow you to use the PX and commissary without military ID but maybe not.

For many years now I have had a military DAV ID card marked Indefinite that has allowed me to use all the base facilities and I have done so many many times.  Over a year ago I received the new military ID card from the base Deers office.  

As a 100% P&T vet I have saved a lot of money and had a good time using the following base MWR and other facilities free of charge or with deep discounts.

1. RV park,  2. PX/BX,  3. Commissary, 4. Full  workout large GYMs, 4. On base Monarch dinning hall, 5. Outdoor recreation areas and store to include trailer rentals, 6. Library with free WIFI, 7. Bowling alley and theater.  8., Many other on base fast food and stores, 9. Class 6 Liquor store, 10. Lake fishing facilities and campground sites. 11. Golf course and shop and tennis courts. 12. Much more including staying at the onbase Air Force modern and clean Inns with wifi plus TV for $85.00 a night with free coffee.

Last but not least I can fly Space A anywhere in USA and Guam/Hawaii free on military aircraft as a Category IV standby 100% P&T vet.

Many years ago I flew Space A all over the USA on my Army National Guard ID with local unit commanding officer travel orders (1 page form with a few lines with his stamp signature that I filled out myself).  It was an adventure.

To get an actual military DAV ID card you will have to go to a military DEERS facility with all the proper paper work and at least two forms of ID with your recent photo such as VA ID card, Drivers license, etc.  You can see latest base access and military cards here.    https://www.cac.mil/

On 6/6/2023 at 9:36 PM, Dustoff1970 said:

Thanks for valuable information you provided. I have started the ID Card process and look forward to using the Commissary benefits soon.

• Community Owner

Dustoff1970

Good to see your still around.. Thanks for the input.