Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Medical Records from Janesville Wi

Rate this question

IndySam

Question

Hi 

I am still pretty new, bit thanks so much to everyone here and all of the shared knowledge. I am learning a lot a hopefully it makes the claims proces easier.

I have been trying to get my medical records from service since Februray 2023. I guess it takes a while? Has anyone had any luck getting their medical records from #11 on the SF 180 form, Claims Intake Center? I faxed the form again yesterday. That what the chart says I think for me, USMC 2002-2006.

I thought I read the VA RO could see them if I had started a claim, but I'm not sure how to ask for those. 

Thanks!!

Sam

#11 Department of Veterans Affairs ATTN: Release of Information Claims Intake Center P.O. Box 4444 Janesville, WI 53547-4444 Fax Number: 844-531-7818

If you want to view your records, perhaps the easiest way is to go to a Veterans Service officer which has VBMS access.  If in doubt, ask the Veterans Service officer if he has VBMS access before handing him your POA.  There would be no cost for this.  Your local vamc should have an office where you can talk to VSO's..VFW, DAV, etc.  

They can also help guide you as to what you may be eligible for.  Of course, I dont know how long you were in the service, your discharge, etc. etc.  

They can/will apply for benefits, too.  

Yes.  But they may have to have your POA to see those records.  Its not bad, tho, you can change it "AT WILL" and there is no cost.  Many Veterans enlist a VSO, while mostly handling the claim themselves.  Its not like "you are under orders" to do what the VSO says. ..its voluntary, and its not like a military committment.  

As an example, if the VSO is unwilling/unable/unsuccessful  to help you with appeals, you can simply hire an attorney, which changes your POA to the attorney, removing it from the VSO.  

You can also switch VSO's if you are unhappy with the service of VSO number one.  This said, its not a great idea to switch out VSO's like you change a baby's diaper.  Make sure you feel comfortable with him/her before signing the POA.  

The POA will be exclusively related to VA claims, its not like he has POA OVER your bank accounts or house.  

A VSO can give you "up to date" day by day, or even minute by minute "whats going on" provided they have vbms access.  This, I understand, is the same records the raters see when rating your claim.  

I dont advise basing a decison on "which VSO" to give your POA to exclusively on "how soon they can see you".  Why?  Because skilled VSO''s with experience, often have a following and you may have to wait to see them.  

However, either rookie VSO's, or VSO's with a bad reputation, will be able to see you quickly.  My dad always used to say, if You want great food, go to the restaurant with a long line out the door.  

Many years ago when I on my own filed a CUE claim and then appeal to the U.S. CAVC veterans appeal court both the VA attorneys against me and I had to file motions, counter motions, briefs, discovery evidence, response to judge inquiries, etc.

In the course of all this the VA General Counsel was required to provide me with copies of all my military and VA records including some medical records and a complete copy of my VA C-File.

During my time in the Active Army and Vietnam I managed thru foresight to obtain copies of most all my medical and hospital records in Vietnam, Japan and USA with the assistance of friendly medical clerks.  All is good.combinededitedcroppedperkins507thDustoffmedevacUH-1Hrescuehoist.jpg.7c3053794369e014e2ea83de19f3fbaf.jpg

5 minutes ago, broncovet said:

If you want to view your records, perhaps the easiest way is to go to a Veterans Service officer which has VBMS access.  If in doubt, ask the Veterans Service officer if he has VBMS access before handing him your POA.  There would be no cost for this.  Your local vamc should have an office where you can talk to VSO's..VFW, DAV, etc.  

They can also help guide you as to what you may be eligible for.  Of course, I dont know how long you were in the service, your discharge, etc. etc.  

They can/will apply for benefits, too.  

I can go ask a VSO, even if I am not using them to file a claim? I already started the claim at the beginning of this year.

We do have a VA RO office I guess here in the federal building and there are DAV and VFW offices there too. 

Thanks!

Edited by IndySam

• Community Owner

"I can go ask a VSO, even if I am not using them to file a claim?" 

The answer is no. You will have to sign up with the VSO for them to view your records in VBMS. And my advices is chose on a VSO wisly. They can make or break your claim. 

The VA RO my not have them. You may have to request them from the duty station where it was created.