Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Upcoming C&p Exams

Rate this question

snoopy4666

Question

I just found your board today and have been reading for hours....

I have 2 upcoming c&p exams on 03/29 and have a few questions.

I am 40y.o., currently 10% SC for a foot injury since 1988. I've had severe pain over the years and I have had 6 surgeries since 2004 at a VAMC to try and repair my great toe joint. After surgery #4 (07/06) I contracted a staph infection and was treated with 6 months of various kinds of antibiotics and vicodin.

- I lost my job 09/06 because my company wouldn't keep me on light duty and I wasn't qualified for FMLA,

- Surgery #5 (11/06) to remove infection, - Surgery #6 (12/06) to remove artificial joint hardware, Infection returned (01/07) and I was hospitalized and diagnosed/treated for osteomylitis (6 wks IV antibiotics), I also contracted a VRE infection which I am still testing positive.

I submitted a claim on (10/06) for MDD, IU, infection and reevaluation of current SC, and am receiving temp 100%, but I'm not sure how long this will last.

I cannot currently work due to the depression (over 3 yrs being treated/meds), severe pain, anemia, cellulitis of foot, and major symptoms from VRE and meds.

Med list ~ Morphine sulfate SR 30mg, morphine sulfate IR 15mg, neuroton, celexa, meds for knee effusion, stomach issues.

Does anyone have any tips to help me prepare for next weeks, back to back, C&P exams?

Would it be helpful to bring in photos documenting the infection?

Also, I'm also CH 31 but have had to take a few semesters off because of my medical problems. I am extremely depressed and want to get off the pain meds (I nearly ran out a few weeks ago and experienced withdrawal symptoms which scared the heck out of me)... I am talking with SATP, I'm not sure if this pain will ever leave. I am scheduled to see the pain management clinic but haven't gotten an appt yet.

Any info would be helpful.

Terry :lol:

Semper Fi

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Snoopy,

Your 100% temporary evaluation is assigned under §4.30 and there it stipulates how long that evaluation can be retained. Off the top of my head, I think it depends on how long your doctor states you'll be recovering from the surgeries.

As far as your MDD (Major Depressive Disaorder), are you claiming this as secondary to your already service-connected disabilities, or are you claiming this as a direct result of your military service? If its the first one, you'll need a statement froma shrink making the nexus or "connection" between your disabilities and your current diagnoses. If its the later, your SMR's will need to show signs symptoms of depression that manifested itself while you were on active duty.

As far as your foot, it's hard to say without knowing what diagnostic code it's rated under to determine what percentages could be awarded based on an increase after the temp 100% evluation is reduced.

With regard to your IU claim, in order to have a chance with it, you'll need to have one disability rated at 60%, or if multiple disabilities are present, one will need to be at least 40% with the others combining to an over all rate of 70%.

When yo go to your C&P exam, you should take all of your private treatment records of all of your claimed disabilities with you so the examiner can take a look at them and evaluate them. Then make sure the regional office has a copy of those records too.

I hope this helps!

Vike 17

• HadIt.com Elder

Being the problem is with a toe, you may have to ask for an extra schedular considerations based on the fact that the surguries and infections are keepong you from obtaining employment.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

MARINE-

Can you possibly continue your education on line instead of traditional classroom-the net is full of colleges on line that are fully VA approved.But be a lot easier than getting to a campus in pain.Can you drive at all? What foot is it?

Have you formally applied for TDIU yet? The meds you take might well have side affects that would render one unemployable.

If Chap 31 (Voc Rehab) tells you that it is not feasible for you to continue due to SC disability-this documentation will help yor TDIU claim.

"Does anyone have any tips to help me prepare for next weeks, back to back, C&P exams?

Would it be helpful to bring in photos documenting the infection?

Also, I'm also CH 31 but have had to take a few semesters off because of my medical problems. I am extremely depressed and want to get off the pain meds (I nearly ran out a few weeks ago and experienced withdrawal symptoms which scared the heck out of me)... I am talking with SATP, I'm not sure if this pain will ever leave. I am scheduled to see the pain management clinic but haven't gotten an appt yet."

All of the blank C & Ps should have a link here at hadit- that shows you what to expect on the C & P exams.

Photos- Worth a thousand words- or more-

I made a template for a vets claim and for anything else he need to send-by using a very gorey color photo of an infection on his stomach that VA caused -giving him more disability (Sec 1151 claim)

Surgical screw up-it took me 3 days but I found a VA doc had even admitted to the screw up in his med recs.

It was gruesome but the Vet loved it and made sure he attached this template as a cover letter to each submission of evidence he made-like the med rec with the docs statement.

Do they expect this problem to heal?

Are you asking for higher SC rating for the MDD too?

- "I lost my job 09/06 because my company wouldn't keep me on light duty and I wasn't qualified for FMLA"

Do you have documented proof of that in your personnel record at this place?

This is excellent evidence of unemployability.

Chap 31- dont turn into a brain surgeon-it might make VA think you are fuly employable when the reality is- from what I see here-you should be 100%.

I mean it is sure OK to continue your education- but with the level of pain you have-I would not want VA to mess with your comp because they think you would become employable.

Then again-the foot problem could be temorary TDIU? With more treatment? But the MDD is another story-

CAn you tell us what VRE means?

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Can you possibly continue your education on line instead of traditional classroom-the net is full of colleges on line that are fully VA approved.But be a lot easier than getting to a campus in pain.Can you drive at all? What foot is it?

I did try to take a few online courses last year, but wasn't able to focus. The pain meds pretty much put me in a zone. Yes, I can drive, but the pain can be excruiating.

After reading my rating decision, (which I understand more thanks you awesome vets!) I will have my SC reviewed after the temp 100% ends.

"Do they expect this problem to heal?

Are you asking for higher SC rating for the MDD too?"

My joint is no longer and has been fused, so its permanent. My Dr. told me last week that I could have the main nerve injected with something to stop the pain, but the deformity isn't going away.

The MDD will be secondary to my SC residuals of GSW to R 1st metatarsal phalangeal joint (it was an accident!)

"I lost my job 09/06 because my company wouldn't keep me on light duty and I wasn't qualified for FMLA"

Do you have documented proof of that in your personnel record at this place?

Yes, I have proof from an unemployment claim that I submitted, also emails from when I worked there and have completed the 21-8940

Then again-the foot problem could be temorary TDIU? With more treatment? But the MDD is another story-

TDIU would be fine, I want to work, I'm a single parent (daughter leaves for AirForce B.C. on June 12th) and only want to get my life back together. Hopefully the pain clinic can solve my pain... but the depression is aweful. Just sucks me down into a crappy dark spot...

CAn you tell us what VRE means?

VRE stands for Vancomycin-resistant enterococci .. everyone has it, but from what I understand it can be transmitted just by touching things (everyone.. please wash your hands good if you go to VAMC or any other medical facility).

It can cause serious complications in persons who have low immune system.. I would say that it's a step below MSRA infection.

I was treated for it while inpatient, but I'm very resistant to most antibiotics, I just had another test on tues. so we shall see!

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_vre.html

I feel you have excellent evidence-

did you tell them of the affect of those meds for SC that prevent employment?

like Do not take and drive, causes confusion ,drowsiness. etc-

GSW-I assume the GS passed through a muscular group? As well as bone structure?

Is there painful scarring?

Did they SC and rate the GSW already?

forgot-

Is the 10% SC for the GSW?