Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Beneficiary Travel Should Be More Automated

Rate this topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Since the VAMC clinic clerks no longer print travel vouchers, we are now forced to either fill out and mail the form or use the online travel system. Half the time the online system does not work properly.

It would be great if the VA could automate this for vets to a varying degree. If going to a community care appointment, a claim would still be required because the VA system does not integrate with their systems.

The VA really should automatically issue travel claims for those which can be detected in their system. For example, if you are SC for something and see a VA provider, issue the claim payment automatically. The same for 50%+ vets or those attending an on-premises C&P.

Whether on paper or online, the claim system makes a vet affirm that they are not submitting a fraudulent claim every time. However, they don't do this to issue monthly compensation payments. 😐

What does everyone else think?

This is an example of the government and VA pretending to help vets and actually doing the opposite causing unnecessary stress and aggravation to vets with serious medical issues.  

Unfortunately this is very prevalent across the board for all agencies and deliberate as in KGB land. Also known as double speak.

"Trust me I am from the government"   what BS.

combinededitedcroppedperkins507thDustoffmedevacUH-1Hrescuehoist.jpg.7c3053794369e014e2ea83de19f3fbaf.jpg

@Dustoff1970 Personally, I really liked going to my VAMC and standing in line at the cashier to cash out my travel voucher. I was able to immediately grab some lunch or put the rest into my gas tank. Then someone got a bright idea about centralizing everything and using direct deposit. At least they still printed out the form, asked you to sign it, and then drop it into the voucher collection box. Now they screwed it up even more. Reminds me of the old saying, "If it is not broken, then don't fix it." They had some good potential options which were really pro-veteran and decided to raise the inconvenience level. 

• 2 months later...
  • Greeter

I couldn’t agree more that it should be automatic. They took the keios machines away. I used to swipe my id card and put in a claim then get a ticket. Now we have to go to the travel department to file a claim. In all honesty I believe that they like it this way because it puts a heavier burden on the vet to get his travel reimbursement. Now I don’t file claims because it is too much of a hassle. But it should be at the check out of an appointment or automatic if you have a completed appointment.

Edited by Dot09

@Dot09 your VA must have been more advanced than mine. We have the kiosks for check in purposes, but I do not recall travel ever being implemented on ours.

I totally agree that this should be something done at time of checkout. I realize some vets  less than 50% rated might opt for co-pay-based visits for single not-SC and would not qualify for travel. However, for those 50% or higher, it should be automatic upon checkout and save a lot of time and headache. Of course, upon checkout vs. checking in because the Birmingham VA hospital has a rash of vets who like to simply hang out without any appointments and watch TV in the lobbies even after clinics close. Yes, it happens a lot.

However, for outside care like ER, urgent care, or community care visits, those providers should be listed clearly in the travel system. I found some pretty horrible typos in the provider and facility names which makes it difficult to find a match.

And if the lawmakers ever get around to fixing these issues, they can also get rid of the deductible they take on the first three round trip travel visits and make ER, walk in, and lab visits count as full time. If we earned the travel benefit, why does the VA get to take a piece of it? What are they doing with it?