VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC K for ED

Rate this question

jdman

Question

Is it worth it applying for SMC K? I am service connected for Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Depression, and Sleep Apnea. I am on multiple medications for all of these conditions. I also am obese due to the Thyroid issue and Diabetes. I am also diagnosed for PTSD and Anxiety but they are not service connected. I have talked to my VA PCP and he has prescribed me Sildenafil. I have been on this for years and it does nothing for me for ED. I have very little sexual urges and it has affected my relationship. Just wondering if it is hard to get SMC K? 

Edited by jdman
add information

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

4 answers to this question

Go for it.  Its a little over an extra 110 per month.  It gets better.  When awarded, you should not get it back to the date you apply, but rather, the date the doctor documented your symptoms. 

You posted it was years ago.  If it were 5 years ago, then that would equate to about $5000 in retro, plus an additional 110 per month in the future.  

I dont know about you, but I cant afford to throw away $5000, plus an additonal 110 per month.  

If you dont need that money, well, go ahead and apply, and, when you get it, you can donate some of it at your discretion to hadit, to keep it going, and maybe give some of the rest to one or more grandchildren, if you have them.  

BroncoVet,

I went thru my VA medical records in regards to my SMC K claim for ED. I see in my medical records all the way back in 2014 I had a test result for low testosterone and was prescribed testosterone cream. Over the next few years it shows testosterone replacement. Also in my records it does show ED notes in June 2018 that says this 

Pt has had scrotal pain for six months; recent dx of benign testicular cysts. He complains of ED x year, no tx.

My outside of the VA PCP put it on the problem list of Erectile Dysfuncation caused by Type 2 Diabetes in June 2018 also. Also in 2014 my VA medical records show orgamisc "issues" due to one of the meds I was taking. 

I am still waiting on my claim to complete. I want to be prepared when my claim is completed. When should the backdate effective date should be? The 2014 date showing low testosterone or the 2018 dates by the VA/Outside PCP?

Thanks again for all of your help. You are a wealth of knowledge

Edited by jdman

Here is an example from another vet on another forum.  He was awarded SMC-K for ED due to/secondary to his VA diagnosed long term MH issue that was PTSD and also due to strong VA medications for PTSD and other disabilities.  Both the C&P examiner and VA rater quickly approved his claim.

Another factor that was mentioned in his favor by c&p was never married and with no children as additional possible proof of ED.  The exam was questions only and records review with no actual physical exam performed.  Vet had no written notes or diagnosis for ED from any VA or private doctors and no nexus opinions from said doctors saying his ED was due to any other illness.

Your VA and private medical records revealing your above VA disabilities plus copies of your strong medical drug prescriptions and a claim statement from you about your ED and your contention that the Depression and medications caused your ED may be all you need.

You should claim your ED is secondary to the above VA diagnosed disabilities including Depression and also due to the strong VA and/or private medications taken for Depression and the other disabilities.  Works for others.

An experienced VSO found at VA regional offices and some hospitals can offer you free of charge additional assistance.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO.

combinededitedcroppedperkins507thDustoffmedevacUH-1Hrescuehoist.jpg.66e9e75bebf35a15ff490302ec523268.jpg

Edited by Dustoff1970

Go for it, as it sounds like you have documentation of your ED.  However, since I have not reviewed your medical records, its possible you may even qualify for more than "just" ED (SMC K).  For example, if you need aid and attendance, are housebound, or have increases in disabilities, or have loss of use due to one or more service connected condtions, as well as increases in one or more SC conditions.  

SMC tops out above $10,000 per month (SMc R2), not 100 percent (around $3600 per month).  

If you are still at 30 percent as your icon shows, you may consider applying for an increase of one or more of your sc conditions, also, if that applies.