Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Meniere's Disease

Rate this question

kkp

Question

This may not be the place to ask this. I know some people on this sight have the same problem.

My problem is this. This year at the stated fair I was walking with my Wife in a crowd. I saw a state policeman coming toward me, I looked his way and I stumbled into him. I just smiled and said vertigo, He just smiled back and gave me a thumbs up. This happens often, but when it's in public and it happens every time I go out, Its inbarrasing. I know its just a matter of time before I'm arrested.

My question is this. Is there a card or something that a doctor could give someone like myself, explaining this condition (The condition is called bilateral hypo vestibular function.)

I know Josephine suffers from this as she has opined. Perhaps if you see this you'll have the answer

thanks as always

kkp

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

kkp,

Being that you are a guy and probably drives a car, I would most definitely get a statement from your doctor.

Kkp, I don't drive anymore, I had to give that one up, but I am one that knows exactly what you are going through. I do carry my meclizine with me at all times, but this pill will only help with the vertigo.

As you have found out there is no medication or cure for this illness. I have been falling all over my feet since 1994.

You will be familiar with this, being from West Virginia. When I lived in Wytheville, Va, which is only at most 45 miles from Bluefield, West Va. I had an appointment at the Balance and Hearing Clinic there to see if the doctor could do anything to help me. Well, he couldn't, but after a half a day of testing, my thinking, balance and eyes were so confused, that I was setting on a railroad tie at a McDonald's trying to figure out, how I was going to make it back through the tunnels down 77 with all the truckers, of course, my husband was driving. By the time we made it to the entrance of the tunnel, I had the West Virginia and the Virginia State Police trying to help me figure out how in the heck, I was going to be able to handle that tunnel noise. It took my husband almost 5 hours to drive me back 45 minutes. He was stopping every 5 minutes to let me get some air.

That is what is so disgraceful that my file was transferred to Huntington, as they know that I am not about to walk in their office. I have never met my representative over there, they just have to bear with me.

Kkp, This is one way, that I know that I did not get up in the middle of the floor and stand for those two crooked psychiatrist. I have been having the walls hold me up for a long time.

I have to wear the same shoes and have had to for the last 12 years. When this happened to me, I thought that Ihad bought enough of the same shoe to do me until I died. Not true. I lucked out and did find a new pair, never worn on ebay. I check about once a month for another pair. I treat them like gold, for they have a heel that helps to keep me from falling backwards. I pay $10.00 shipping for a $10.00 shoe.

This is the most horrible disease that anyone could have.

I have never had a drink of alcohol in my life, but this must be the closest thing to it. I feel like I am walking on a mattress all the time.

Jumping on a mattress and walking on it was fun when I was a kid, but this is the closest thing to it that I have experienced. My mother used to say, if you don't quit jumping on that mattress, you are going to fall and break your neck.

By all means do get a statement from your doctor and carry it with you.

Please don't make my mistake and get on one of those sky lifts, as you will want to jump.

Hope that this helps you.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask you. I sure hope that you are not trying to work in this condition.

Always,

Josephine

Josephine I knew from your posts that you suffered from this also. They say cows in west Virginia has to legs shorter than the other two ,from grazing on the mountain sides. Maybe we do to. ha

I first experienced this in 1980. I sit up in bed one night and just kept on going.tne next thing I knew I was on my right side. That was just the start. I was a lineman at the time, boy you ought to have an spell at the top of a 70 foot pole. All I could do was push my self back against my safety and hang on.

Let me tell every one its not fun. I kid my wife all the time, that there are people on the street that have lost every thing they own trying to get the high that I get for free.

I might add I would gladly give everything I own to give it to them.

I had an appointment with my family doctor today and he did write on a prescription for me to carry with me a note explaining why I stagger. I also have been to the place in Bluefield and every other place imaginal in the surrounding states. It only gets worse.

We have a motor home and I told my Wife we had best hit the road pretty soon, as I know I only have a couple of years left that I will be able to drive. And don't even think about my wife driving. Its 40 foot long and she gets lost going from one end to the other, and its all she can do to keep her Monte Carlo on the road. I kid her that she is the most perfect person I ever met, but can't figure why the good lord left her GPS out of he brain. Maybe because he knew she would marry me some day.Now we bot stay lost.

Oh well its good we can laugh about it because it isn't going away. I hope you fair well with yours as I know the misery you are in.

Know matter how bad mine gets it still amuses me at the silly things I do. Most of the time I don't know if I will laugh or cry at my next event, which I know is only hours away as we are going out to dinner in a bit. My wife holds on to me pretty tight while we are out. I don't dare make her mad because she has the hole card, she can always leave me alone. She Hasn't used it yet.

Take care and GOD bless kkp

• HadIt.com Elder

kkp,

You got it. Don't make her angry or you will be sitting on the side of the road, as I have had to realize, I am 100% dependent on my husband.

I can be pretty stubborn and I have been left sitting on the side of the road.

Have fun falling into the restaurant, as you said it "ain't ever going to get any better, only worse"!

I am like you, I just keep on moving those legs, as I am sure that your doctor has warned you, keep using them or you will loose them.

This one is terrible. I was late for my dear sisters funeral. I told my husband, if he was ashamed to be late, just not follow me. Of all places, I stumbled right into the pew.

Everyone said," She made if after all and we have always felt that my sister got a good laugh at that one.

Have a good one!

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

List the condition on a medical alert bracelet and wear it.It is a lot easier than trying to dig through a wallet while having an episode of dizzines. Hope this helps anyone who has that dreaded disease. My father in law has the symptoms.