Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU

Rate this question

Flo2020

Question

• Greeter

You don’t.. consider that tdiu rating percent as a blessing. Because it can count as your singular 100 percent rating if rated for tdiu on one condition alone. SMC s is an additional benefit you can get and it’s roughly 450 dollars extra a month. You must have one rating at 100 percent or tdiu and an additional 60 plus percent in separate and distinct conditions. When that is done the Va should infer it. Often times they don’t. You should look into that because you are 100 percent pt. What’s your ratings

If you earn "above the poverty level" and you are tdiu, after a full year of making that, the VA can/will send you a proposed reduction letter to remove tdiu.  

You need not worry about it until you have earned above the poverty level for a full year.  And, even then, since you were already tdiu your compensation is unlikely to go down "except" if subtracting tdiu renders you no longer eligible for SMC S
.  It may or may not make a difference, depending upon your other disabilites and if you still have a single 100 percent plus an additional combined 60 percent seperate and distinct.  

• Greeter

Bronco 

From my understanding of his post he was recently award schedular 100 percent p/t status. I was recently upgraded as well to 100 percent p/t schedular. But I still notice that I was tdiu for the mental health condition. Given that I don’t think it is in his best interest to have the Va remove tdiu status because of SMC s. Am I reading something wrong. Please correct me. 

Do the math:  SMC S amounts to about an additional $450 per month.  If the OP is earning "above" the poverty level, which is in the area of 20k (dependent upon the number of dependents), then I would give up 450 per month to make 20 grand per year all day long.  

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/compensation-rates/special-monthly-compensation-rates/.  To figure out the actual amount additioanal for smc s, take the smc rate and then subtract the 100 percent rate.  If you do that you will get around an additional 450 a month, you dont get 100 percent p and t "and also" the smc rate.  The smc rate tables "include" the 100 percent. 

https://www.va.gov/pension/veterans-pension-rates/

• Greeter

Dustoff 
I apologize as I do have a reference to the inability to work with this condition. It’s in my disability award letter when you print it out on Va.gov It clearly states does the veteran have a condition that prevents them from working. It’s there because I too was tdiu p\t. It some what is reffencing your tdiu condition. Just saying