Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

File in claims folder stamped "DROP FILE" - What does this mean?

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

I got out of the service in Dec 1990 and was hospitalized with Major Depression in September of 1991. I was so fucked up I didn't know to file a claim, even though I was within the one-year time frame from separation. 

So today I am looking through my C-File and find a file stamped "DROP FILE" dated 9/1991 I'm not sure if this would allow me to CUE for an earlier effective date or not. If any legal beagles have any thoughts see the attached pdf.

DROP-FILE-002_Redacted.pdf

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

I have never seen this on any of my VA claims documents or extensive C-File of over 30 years and is a good question and thanks for asking.  I will send you a PM now.

As I recall vaguely from many years ago as accountant a drop file in government slang means inactive.  Just a guess.

Edited by Dustoff1970

• Community Owner

Me either. My VA C-File as of 8-19-22 is 3909 pages. I can bet yours in more Dustoff1970. 

I PM'ed brokensolder244th and ask him to look at this thread.

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, Tbird said:

I got out of the service in Dec 1990 and was hospitalized with Major Depression in September of 1991. I was so xxxxxx up I didn't know to file a claim, even though I was within the one-year time frame from separation. 

So today I am looking through my C-File and find a file stamped "DROP FILE" dated 9/1991 I'm not sure if this would allow me to CUE for an earlier effective date or not. If any legal beagles have any thoughts see the attached pdf.

DROP-FILE-002_Redacted.pdf 195.98 kB · 9 downloads

I think it does.  It is the date and diagnosis that are important.  The RO has to get the file to use it. 

I will attach a couple CAVC decisions that indicate "complete consideration of the file" 

See what you think.  Write your claim following the citations in the CAVC decisions.  Do not use these decisions as citations but as a source of citations.

19-8812 Comer v McDonough TBI c seizures RVN.pdf 20-3507 Morris v McDonough inadequate exams.pdf 22-1917 Jones v McDonough Remand 4 extra-schedular c ref.pdf

Edited by Lemuel
clarify

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Searched my c-file PDF which consisted of over 11,000 pages. No text labeled "drop file", but that doesn't say much because the OCR text component used by the VA to make PDFs searchable is not great (likely came from the lowest bidder).

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

Looked up the definition of "Drop File".

Looks like a similar entry to a Medical Certificate or other initial entry by intake or discharge.  In this case probably your check out from an appointment.

1. dropfilenoun

A file used by a bulletin board system (BBS) to pass information about the BBS itself and the current user to an external door.