Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Coming off Active Duty

Rate this question

Smirak

Question

I'm quite certain this question has been answered, nut my search capabilities are like my professional baseball skills - almost non-existent.  

Anyway, my son is on terminal leave now for a couple more weeks.  He intends to file a few things from his AD time.  Does he/should he wait until he's officially released to file?  I know the EZ form's first question is are you on AD.  He has requested a copy of his military records, but does not have those yet.  Should he wait for those to come in before he files?  My thought is no, bit looking for an answer.

Thanks

Kevin

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Greeter

Personally I would make a list of his disability’s. Do not try to determine if they are direct, secondary ect. That is the raters job. Order his service medical records or personal information file as soon as you can. I would then contact a VSO agent for representation at your regional office. Then you should file this as soon as possible. You mentioned your sons case is terminal so you need to request an expedited case file. What disability’s did you have in mind of filing? What is the estimated time before his terminal? What was he diagnosed with his terminal illness? I’m sure others will chime in.

P.S. Please provide more information about your son as far as MEBS, and current disabilities. The more the information that you can supply the better we will be able to assist.

Edited by Dot09

57 minutes ago, Smirak said:

Anyway, my son is on terminal leave now for a couple more weeks.  He intends to file a few things from his AD time.  Does he/should he wait until he's officially released to file?  I know the EZ form's first question is are you on AD.  He has requested a copy of his military records, but does not have those yet.  Should he wait for those to come in before he files?  My thought is no, bit looking for an answer.

Your son should have already completed his initial claim when he out processed at his base under the BDD program. The BDD program may have a new name by now which I don’t know but it should have helped your son begin the process of putting his packet together to file a claim with the VA.

Benefits Delivery at Discharge Program - Veterans Benefits Administration (va.gov)

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Let's slow down here, being on terminal leave is not having a terminal illness. It is just extra leave time or final leave time before the ETS (Discharge Date).

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.