Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Multiple Claims Combined Into One C&P exam

Rate this question

Arwest30

Question

I have a total of 5 claims that VA combined into one claim. I got notified from VES I have to do a C&P exam. They said the exam will be with one doctor for all 5 issues which are PTSD , Hip pain (secondary to Plantar Fasciitis) Arthritis in ankle from Plantar Fasciitis ( increase) Cyst Postoperative ( rated at 0% upon exiting military in the 90’s) and Sinusitis ( clamined h yes the PACT Act) and previously done a C&P exam.   Is this a normal practice to see ONE doctor for for the C&P exam for drastically different medical claims ? If so is this a good or bad thing?  Any information would be greatly appreciated 

• Greeter

Not typically. You should have a psychiatrist or someone in mental health and a np for the other. If it turns out to be unfavorable you can always dispute the examiners credentials and request another one. Often times the Va sends us to unqualified examiners. In that I recommend that you get an imo. However with ptsd the Va believes they are the only one that can deal with that. I wish you the best of luck. It’s best to allow the Va do their thing because what the Va does is what the Va does. There’s no way to predict them

Welcome to Hadit.com

It's all about the bottom line, which is money. If the VA think they can get away with it, they will try just about anything. Many years ago, the VA sent me to a mental health C & P exam and requested the examiner to give an opinion about my physical disabilities. For some reason when I went there the examiner was not there and the chief psychiatrist had to do my exam and it worked out well for me because he wrote that my depression was as least likely as not due to my physical problems and that no exam would fully be complete without both a mental health exam and a separate physical exam. 

It is normal or typical for the VA to lump claims up to try to process them all at once, but it is not normal or typical for the VA to try to have a psychiatrist to do both a mental health exam and a physical exam but as stated, the VA would try to do anything to save money except pay veterans their correct benefits.  

Edited by pacmanx1

11 minutes ago, pacmanx1 said:

Welcome to Hadit.com

It's all about the bottom line, which is money. If the VA think they can get away with it, they will try just about anything. Many years ago, the VA sent me to a mental health C & P exam and requested the examiner to give an opinion about my physical disabilities. For some reason when I went there the examiner was not there and the chief psychiatrist had to do my exam and it worked out well for me because he wrote that my depression was as least likely as not due to my physical problems and that no exam would fully be complete without both a mental health exam and a separate physical exam. 

It is normal or typical for the VA to lump claims up to try to process them all at once, but it is not normal or typical for the VA to try to have a psychiatrist to do both a mental health exam and a physical exam but as stated, the VA would try to do anything to save money except pay veterans their correct benefits.  

TY

• Community Owner

The VA regulation require psychiatrist or someone in mental health to do all MH exams. I would call VES and question them why a  psychiatrist is not doing it or a NP is not doing you physical exam. What does the referral say the person is psychiatrist, NP, etc.  I would call 800-Betty and tell them the same that VA regulation require psychiatrist  to do MH if one is not doing it.

You will save yourself a lot of work if you head it off now.

• Greeter

I too would get this sorted out like the others suggested. You need a mental health for mental health and physical for a pcp. I would hate for you to get stuck in appeals because an error of the Va. call and complain about this. Best of luck