Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How to file for 3 Diff traumatic events, all together or 1 at a time?

Rate this question

Kingdomdad1

Question

Hello Vets, so i had 3 different events as i mentioned, and all of them contribute to my VA diagnosis of Ptsd and Persistent depressive disorder. The question is how do i put them together in my intent to file as a group, or is it best to file separately 1 at a time? Btw i put in and intent under the title " mental health issues due to in service personal traumas, Suicide of a Loved One-Personal assault and MST.....

Thanks in advance

Even though you have different mental health issues, PTSD, Persistent Depressive Disorder and any other mental health conditions/disabilities, they all fall under one category which is Mental health, and the VA can and will only grant and rate one of them. The VA sometimes will combine the symptoms if they overlap and pay you at the higher rate of the symptoms that mostly describe your condition but as I say, you can only have one mental health disability rating.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Pacmanx is very correct.  PTSD has many symptoms such as depression, panic attacks, OCD, anxiety, and so many others.

I would file for PTSD and list your problems/symptoms of your PTSD as stated above plus sleep problems, social isolation (if any), paranoia (if any), etc.  All of these are considered symptoms associated/caused by PTSD plus of course flashbacks to the event or events.

PTSD carries higher disability ratings than just plain anxiety and/or panic attacks, etc.

Since you have been diagnosed with PTSD then file for that.  You can be rated for only 1 MH disability/disorder by VA as he said.

I have been rated 70% Nam PTSD TDIU since 1998 and before that 30 to 50% since 1985.

Now 100% P&T with SMC-S plus another since 2017.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO.

combinededitedcroppedperkins507thDustoffmedevacUH-1Hrescuehoist.jpg.66e9e75bebf35a15ff490302ec523268.jpg

Edited by Dustoff1970

5 hours ago, Dustoff1970 said:

PTSD carries higher disability ratings than just plain anxiety and/or panic attacks, etc.

Let's not get confused as to PTSD symptoms and Mental health symptoms ratings criteria are rated the same, even though PTSD symptoms may be more severe and or frequent they are still rated under the same category.  The VA would rate the dominant disability symptoms and sometimes combined the symptoms and then rate the dominant one. 

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

No confusion here.  OP said he/she diagnosed for PTSD and filing for PTSD is the appropriate disability application here.  Yes the VA raters may choose to rate the OP for major depression or some other MH symptom.  If totality of medical evidence and other evidence suggest PTSD then VARO will probably rate as PTSD.  

Here is my real life example of PTSD history.

In 1985 after hospitalization the VA shrinks in multiple diagnosis gave me first on Axis One a diagnosis of Episodic alcoholism, then on Axis II a diagnosis of major depression and on Axis III PTSD.  Later they dropped alcoholism and stuck with only depression and PTSD and then after that only PTSD.  Same with VA C&P exams.  

In very first VARO disability decision in 85 and thereafter to current day has only and always been PTSD because all the OTHER EVIDENCE (NON MEDICAL) proved I suffered PRIMARILY from only Nam combat PTSD and they listed the following symptoms as composing my PTSD.

1. Depression, 2. OCD, 3. transient paranoia, 4. anxiety panic attacks, 5. social isolation, 6. unemployed/unemployability, 7. many others.

Even tho PTSD was not initially the primary diagnosis fro me in 85 to 87 and till 91, I filed for PTSD and the VA raters gave me a PTSD disability rating at 50% that was increased to 70% and P&T TDIU in 98 to 2000.

I see no conflict in our comments.  If the VARO gives him a lower evaluation for another MH symptom and not for PTSD then OP can appeal with HLR, Supplemental or directly to BVA and argue his rating for PTSD or depression or whatever should be higher and maybe offer new evidence (if any).

We are saying the same thing in different ways.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO.

Edited by Dustoff1970

• Greeter

Keep it simple. Let’s say you file for ptsd directly service. Let the examiner determine the diagnosis and let the rater lump it all together. Don’t try and be the dr or examiner. Just be as detailed as possible during your examination. You can only be rated for one mental health condition but have multiple conditions to avoid pyramiding. I wish you the best of luck. You don’t need to put your stressors on your intent to file. Just list ptsd direct service connected.

Edited by Dot09

• Greeter

I personally recommend that you sign a poa with a vso so that he can assist with paperwork and have access to vbms records. Anyways if this has been filed once before and you are doing it again it would need to be a supplemental claim. I don’t memorize those forms off hand. I’m sure others will chime in to direct you to fill out the proper forms. But I do strongly recommend a vso poa.