Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will This Mri Report Support Claim?

Rate this question

k9healer

Question

I am currently receiving 10% for my back since surgery in 2004 decreased my claim from 40% to 10 % for my back. I told them it was not any better and they finally did MRI 3/8/07. I have received and increase for my rt knee swelling and weakness from 10% to 30%.

Radiology Report reads as follows:

L5/S1 disc dessication and bulge causing bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. There appears to be postoperative changes at this leevl. Primary diagnosis Code: ABNORMALITY

What does this mean?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"Pai in my hip and back and numbness in toes has been going on again since 6 months after surgery. This is the first MRI since surgery. I had C&P last Novemebr and" etc

I could see these as problems BEfore the surgery but not after it-

By all means put the depression in your claim, tell them of any pain meds you need and any side affects the meds cause-

and as the MH person said -the depression is a secondary condition.

What have the docs said is the Cause of this pain and numbness?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

The neurosurgeons said it is the bulging disks and sciatica that is causing the problem. I have another appt with neurosurgery on friday 3/30/07. They want to schedule surgery. I cannot afford to have the surgery.

I only receive 40% and if I am out of work I do not know how I can pay the bills. My VSO at the MOPH said I can apply for 100% if the Dr put me out for surgery. What if they deny me?

Im really stressing about this. I do not know what to do. I dont have surgery I live with this pain. I do have surgery and I could loose everything.

Guest RickB54
I am currently receiving 10% for my back since surgery in 2004 decreased my claim from 40% to 10 % for my back. I told them it was not any better and they finally did MRI 3/8/07. I have received and increase for my rt knee swelling and weakness from 10% to 30%.

Radiology Report reads as follows:

L5/S1 disc dessication and bulge causing bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. There appears to be postoperative changes at this leevl. Primary diagnosis Code: ABNORMALITY

What does this mean?

It means that you had an operation, and the MRI shows the changes caused by the operation. This would be normal in an abnormal way. In other words it shows just what it should so. The MRI might help support the claim but I doubt it because you were already re rated after the operation. Seems that you will need to keep seeking treatment and if that doesn't help a request for increased disability might be in order.

I've sometimes needed to get 2nd or third opinons on MRIS and Xrays from VA...they always seem to screw it up.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

The neurosurgeons said it is the bulging disks and sciatica that is causing the problem. I have another appt with neurosurgery on friday 3/30/07. They want to schedule surgery. I cannot afford to have the surgery.

I only receive 40% and if I am out of work I do not know how I can pay the bills. My VSO at the MOPH said I can apply for 100% if the Dr put me out for surgery. What if they deny me?

Im really stressing about this. I do not know what to do. I dont have surgery I live with this pain. I do have surgery and I could loose everything.

Do not live with the pain, it will eventually make it worse for you. apply for SSD and then apply for the 100%. You do what you have to do, I know it is stressfull. Depending on the type of work you do, you will most likely get SSD if the DR. Says you can no longer lift,pull, push, climb, bend,ext.but it does take the initial 6 months. Have they sent you to the pain clinics to RF the back and if so did that help? With JohnM's back it took them 6 months decide on surgery and then it did not really help, but he can at least walk. The Dr. at the pain clinic RF'ed JohnM's back 4 times and it did nothing for him. He lost his job because he was off work to long and the day before his surgery he recieved a letter of acceptance from SSD. The bills will always be there but your health will not. If having surgery will help you get around then I say to you GO FOR IT but again you need to do what you need to do. I know for JohnM he is able to get around not as fast as it was years ago but for now he can at least walk. At this time another surgery will not help him and he knows eventually he will be in a wheel chair so for now he is happy to be able to get around the pain is still there and there is times he can not get out of bed or walking to much will also cause an increase of pain.

I wish you all the luck in your desicion. I am sure my responds did not help you in deciding "living with Pain is stressfull" and "stess is not good for your health especially the heart"

JohnM's Wife