Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Parkinson’s disease now covered under Camp Lejeune Family Member Program

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

VA makes another historic move to provide coverage for Parkinson’s disease as a neurobehavioral condition under its Camp Lejeune Family Member Program (CLFMP).

Family members of Veterans exposed to contaminated drinking water at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C. from Aug. 1, 1953, to Dec. 31, 1987, are now eligible for reimbursement of out-of-pocket health care costs associated with Parkinson’s disease.

Eligible family members can apply for assistance under the CLFMP.

View the CLFMP article in VA News: VA provides care to eligible Veterans’ family members.

CLFMP covers 15 medical illnesses or conditions, including Parkinson’s disease:

• Bladder cancer
  • Breast cancer
  • Esophageal cancer
  • Female infertility
  • Hepatic steatosis
  • Kidney cancer
  • Leukemia
  • Lung cancer
  • Miscarriage
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Myelodysplastic syndromes
  • Neurobehavioral effects – now includes Parkinson’s disease
  • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
  • Renal toxicity
  • Scleroderma

Addressing the Veteran community’s concern over the historic contaminated drinking water at Camp Lejeune has been an ongoing priority for VA. The decision to include Parkinson’s disease was supported by the result of a review by the National Academies of Sciences commissioned by VA’s Health Outcomes Military Exposures.

“Including Parkinson’s disease as a covered neurobehavioral condition is a big step toward covered care for both Veterans and their families,” said Dr. Miguel LaPuz, assistant under secretary for Health for Integrated Veteran Care. “This decision helps move the needle to get more family members assistance for those affected by the toxic water contamination.

“If you think you might be eligible, the best thing to do is apply now for assistance. If you have questions about your eligibility, submitting claims or how to get reimbursed for medical costs associated with Parkinson’s disease, contact our CLFMP coordinators at 866-372-1144 for assistance. We are ready to help.”

Visit the CLFMP page to understand who is eligible and to apply online.

What family members need to know

For family members of Veterans (spouses, children and those in utero) at the time of the toxic water contamination (Aug. 1, 1953-Dec. 31, 1987), a CLFMP representative will work with you to clarify what additional documentation may be required to fully process your eligibility.

VA may be able to cover previous medical costs for Parkinson’s disease depending on when you were first deemed eligible for the program. For more information, contact VA’s CLFMP coordinators at 866-372-1144 for assistance.

If you previously applied for CLFMP and were determined eligible for the program, submit the following documents: claim form, treating physician report, release of health information and medical statements, and send via fax to 512-460-5536, or mail to:

Department of Veterans Affairs
Financial Services Center
PO BOX 149200
Austin, TX 78714-9200

Resources and support

View the full article

View full article

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet