Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypothyroidism and Sleep Apnea Denied

Rate this question

Gunnerdad

Question

Last entry I had submitted claim for AO SC Hypothyroidism with Sleep Apnea 2nd, and COPD 2nd.  All were denied because Hypo was caused by Hyper (Graves Disease) treatment. Saw no bases for DNA.

8-16-23 Filed claim for Hyper with evidence of studies at Buffalo University on over 200K Vets that showed AO exposed developed Graves Disease at 3X the rate of unexposed.  Claims check showed all claims referencing that study were approved.  Claim was closed within 4 hours and said letter was sent.  Only letter I've received was on 8-24 which stated they had reached out to the doctors I listed for treatment. Can't find any letter stating it was denied.  If it was closed on the 16th why the doctor letter and why no letter of denial?  So I have asked for a higher level of review and requested a conference with the reviewer so I can explain my claim.  Wondering if I have taken the proper route?  If approved it clears the Hypo claim as well.

Second part of same issue is the denied Sleep Apnea.  VA diagnosed me with a sleep study as moderate to severe and prescribed a CPAP machine. Because my COPD causes difficulty to exhale, I have struggled thru several versions and am now being fitted for the mouthpiece VA accepts as treatment.

I am now SC 50% PTSD.  Can I refile the Sleep Apnea as secondary to PTSD.

ClaimLetter-2023-8-24.pdf

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, Gunnerdad said:

Sorry I've been remiss on checking your messages.  Back has had me down so setting at computer was a no go.  Made a mistake moving to the Wild West where no help is available.  To me it's obvious why they didn't include it since it appears there are more Graves than Hypo.  I'll take your advice but assume it will take years for them to change their minds.  If you read the attached it not only shows the fact that exposed had Graves at 3X the non-exposed but ironically also showed that we had Hypothyroidism at a much "lower" rate than non-exposed so the wrong form of the disease was addressed according to that study. I wish the Doctor that performed the study would write my Nexus letter but several attempts has had no response. Dustoff referred me to someone for the Sleep Apnea nexus so I'm going to try that person and see how it goes.

2010-06-agent-orange-exposure-linked-graves.pdf 125.92 kB · 3 downloads

I am adding this to my calendar.  Under to do.  Thanks for posting the research.

On 2/7/2024 at 2:03 PM, pacmanx1 said:

Can you please explain? Your attachment states that the VA sent you a letter around 08/24/2023 and that has not been a year yet. You still have several months to get a copy of the progress notes from you doctors and submit them as evidence. Even though the VA requested this information/evidence, you can get a copy of it and send it to the VA but make sure you keep the original for your personal copy.

Please delete your personal information like your name and claims number. 

Sorry missed this.  The letter is for my Hyperthyroid claim (Graves) which they immediately closed. I've filed for a higher level of review with a conference to discuss it. The Sleep Apnea secondary is over a year ago for rejection.