Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee question

Rate this question

Marc D

Question

I’m service connected for my left knee and had ACL/meniscus repair before I got out on 2005. In 2009 I got 10% for the surgery and 10% for scars.

I filed for an increase and for the right knee pain as well. Had my C&P on the 23rd and had some limited ROM and x-rays done. 

Today my examiner called me and said I have arthritis in both knees. And a bone spur on my left foot. 

My question is does the fact that I have a service connected left knee, and now have pain/arthritis with limited ROM, get me the service connection? Just trying to see what hurdles I have to overcome to get it as a bilateral issue for knees. 

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Its rather well known that injuries often lead to arthritis.  But, you need to dot all the i's and cross all the t's as follows:

1.  You are gonna need a current diagnosis of arthritis of the knee by a doctor.  

2.  You are gonna need a competent medical opinion that YOUR arthritis is "at least as likely as not" due to you in service (service connected) knee injury.  You may already have that nexus, I have no idea.  I have not read your records.  However, since you got that call, certainly apply for arthritis, secondary to your sc knee issues, and check your records to see if he provided a nexus.  If he did not, you will need a nexus to document your arthritis for sc for arthiritis.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, broncovet said:

Its rather well known that injuries often lead to arthritis.  But, you need to dot all the i's and cross all the t's as follows:

1.  You are gonna need a current diagnosis of arthritis of the knee by a doctor.  

2.  You are gonna need a competent medical opinion that YOUR arthritis is "at least as likely as not" due to you in service (service connected) knee injury.  You may already have that nexus, I have no idea.  I have not read your records.  However, since you got that call, certainly apply for arthritis, secondary to your sc knee issues, and check your records to see if he provided a nexus.  If he did not, you will need a nexus to document your arthritis for sc for arthiritis.  

We need to write to NIH and recommend a higher level of oxygen than 88 investigated for full body function.  I am discovering that if I maintain above 93, I am more limber. Probably 95 or higher will be better.  Whatever is the level for an active teenager. I can put on my depends without help, etc. (and need depends less often).  I am suggesting that to my OT and PT therapists.  If we all do that, one interested in research may put in an application for an NIH research grant.  I am going to email the director of the Cheyenne VAMRC the suggestion to apply for the grant to keep from cutting employees as the VA is cutting services.

I think the vital organs get first call on oxygen depriving muscles and joints of adequate oxygen to reproduce the cells needed to keep limber and make muscle tissue, joint fluid and the soft cartilage that keep us limber and flexible enough.  My grip has improved.  I think I will be able to demonstrate even more grip improvement in my next OT.  

There are exercises that can improve your oxygen level before and with oxygen therapy.  Best to use those than a higher liter level of oxygen therapy or oxygen therapy itself.