VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I file PACT Act, Depressed Mood, Coronary Artery Disease, Spine/Neck

Rate this question

RichardZ

Question

Since 2015 when I retired I've been 80% which includes 60% Chronic Fatigue, 30% Insomnia, 10% Hemorrhoids.  My VA psychiatrist (who happens to also be the Hospital Chief of Staff) has strongly advised me multiple times to file for a service connection under the PACT Act.  I've strongly disagreed with him since I do not see a PACT Act connection (other than possibly using DEET and as supply troop regularly disposing of toxic substances - none identified in the PACT Act).   He, my psychiatrist has told me that it would likely get approved and I should say that toxin exposure has exacerbated my behavioral health issues.  I do not feel comfortable filing under the PACT Act however, I am considering asking VA to connect my Moderate/Major Depression Disorder and Anxiety disorder secondary to my rated Insomnia.  Also considering filing for my recently worsening coronary artery disease (CAD) and spinal stenosis, spinal disc disease.    Details follow and thanks in advance.  e

Recently, the VA noted my severe atherosclerosis in several CT Scans and in December 2023, I had stents put in 2 coronary arteries.  I have copies of my military medical records that show I was twice seen in the military for chest pain and several times prescribed crestor for high cholesterol.  Both of these military medical appointments were in the 1980s.   Though I've been taking crestor and other statins ever since.  

Also, since my retirement in 2015 I've had several  months long episodes of back and neck pain for which I've been seen by VA and civilian doctors.  In 2022, an MRI revealed multi-level severe disc degeneration, stenosis, and spondylosis of my sacral, lumbar, and cervical spine and ongoing tendonitus left scapula and shoulder.   I have been seen once on active duty for a cervical spine injury and one for a right shoulder injury.

So basically, I'm asking for advice on whether it's reasonable or not for me to proceed with claims for PACT Act, depression/anxiety, CAD, and/or spine/neck issues?

I only started thinking about this because my VA Psychiatrist has been almost pressuring me to file a PACT Act claim.  Until that, I never though about filing.  I'm retired, I have a good military and civil service retirement and am satisfied with the 80% rating I currently have.  Again much thanks in advance.  - Richard

Edited by RichardZ
mis spelled my name

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Community Owner
On 3/16/2024 at 11:35 PM, RichardZ said:

Hi brothers (and/or sisters).  Hey I'm the OP.  I sure appreciate your detailed feedback, info, advice and will read several more times.  

I've got a follow on question regarding applying for service connection under the PACT Act.   Where within the VA.gov website disability application process does one indicate that they are applying under or associated with the PACT Act? 

I was on VA.Gov for awhile today and as I progressed through starting a new claim I expected to find a screen, box, or field where a vet would indicate they were applying for service connection under the PACT Act.  Do I have to name the disability first for example recurrent major depression episodes and then subsequent to that on the website/app indicate that I'm applying under the PACT Act?  Thanks.  I'd ideally just like to apply for connection and be noted that I'm covered under the PACT Act alone without immediately naming a medical condition. 

Much thanks once again.  

Hears the link to the PACT ACT at the VA.  Just because you have presumptively issues doesn't mean that you will get service connected for a presumptive. You will need a doc to state. 1. You have one of the presumptive conditions on the list.

2. You will have to have a doc state you have one of the PACT ACT presumptive conditions.

3. How were you retired? Medical or retired with 20 etc.? The more information you give us the better we can help you.

As brokensoldier244th has stated, "Diagnoses of hyperlipidemia, elevated triglycerides, and elevated cholesterol are laboratory results and are not, in and of themselves, disabilities. 61 Fed. Reg. 20,440 (May 7, 1996). " The fact that you had stents put in 2 coronary arteries I am betting that there is a diagnosis that will related to your cholesterol. depending on what the diagnosis is it can be ACT ACT. (Gulf War Syndrome.) 

Your 60% Chronic Fatigue, and Possibly 30% Insomnia, and the stents put in 2 coronary arteries. Are under the PACT ACT. (Gulf War Syndrome.) 

Your back conditions should be filed as a separate claim. The VA may combined the into one claim kind of separated by the PACT ACT. brokensoldier244th may be able to give you more guidance on how the VA will process them both.

Lastly I just read an article that related  DEET with PCB's and Dixon the same thing that is in Agent Orange

Posted (edited)

If multiple new issue claims are filed within a year they get combined into one claim. Whether it’s 1 issue or 20 it all gets worked at the same time. If you are asking for increases those go on as well.

If you are appealing something that’s a supplemental claim and is worked on its own. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th