Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ALS in the Military

• Founder

als-in-the-military.png

I read an interesting article from the Orlando Sentinel: “Caregivers want answers to mystery link between ALS, military service.”

Caregivers want answers to mystery link between ALS, military service | Orlando Sentinel

Well, they don’t know. What they do know is:

Per the ALS Association:

Existing evidence supports the conclusion that people who’ve served in the military are at a greater risk of being diagnosed with ALS and dying from the disease than those with no history of military service.

As outlined in this paper, study after study continues to demonstrate this to be true: If you serve in the military, regardless of the branch of service, regardless of whether you served in the Persian Gulf War, Vietnam, Korea or World War II, and regardless of whether you served during a time of peace or a time of war, you’re at a greater risk of dying from ALS than if you hadn’t served in the military.

We’re asking these questions today:

• Why is there a greater risk of ALS with military service?
  • What are we, as a nation, going to do about it?

ALS in the Military | The ALS Association

Research conducted in the US and Denmark reveals that vets are 1.3 to 2 times more likely than non-vets to succumb to this condition, regardless of whether or not they saw active duty during wartime. 

In 2008, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs began covering 100% of ALS treatments for veterans who served a minimum of 90 days in recognition of the illness as a service-connected injury.

ALS in the Military Summary
ALS in the Military Summary
https://www.als.org/navigating-als/military-veterans/ALS-in-the-Military
Source: ALS Association

View full record

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use