Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Statement of the Case Example – How to Read and Understand this VA Form

• Founder

38-cfr-19-29-statement-of-the-case-soc.png

38 CFR 19.29 Statement of the Case

After the VA receives a NOD from a veteran, it will prepare the Statement of the Case (SOC) for all issues that were not granted service connection or the maximum rating. The SOC explains the decision, including a cover letter explaining the appeal process. Also included in the SOC is a list of the issues being decided in the claim, a summary of the evidence, the pertinent laws and VA regulations related to the claim, and the decision and reasoning behind each issue. The SOC may include helpful information for the veteran to prepare his or her appeal. Still, the most important thing to remember about the SOC is that the veteran has 60 days from the date of the SOC cover letter to send in VA Form 9, which is the substantive appeal. Failure to respond to the SOC within 60 days by filing VA Form 9 may result in the appeal being closed and the decision becoming final.

Watch Attig Law Firm Statement of the Case Example
How to Read and Understand this VA Form

After watching this video, you will have learned:

• How to calculate the CORRECT deadlines for filing your VA Form 9 Appeal to the Board of Veterans' Appeals
  • What does a Statement of the Case look like?
  •  The 4 Parts of the Statement of the Case that you NEED to understand and verify
  •  Tips to make your arguments in your VA Form 9 
    Appeal to the Board of Veterans' Appeals BETTER based on what you read on the Statement of Case.
  •  How do you tell if the VA made some basic errors in denying your claim?
  •  Much more!

Statement of the Case (SOC): 

This document is crucial as it outlines the reasons for the VA's decision on your claim and sets the stage for your appeal to the Board of Veterans' Appeals. Here's a comprehensive guide to understanding and effectively responding to an SOC.

Important points

*   Understand the importance of the SOC in the VA appeals process.

*   Know the critical timelines and deadlines associated with the SOC.

*   Learn how to analyze and respond to the SOC effectively.

What is a Statement of the Case?

A Statement of the Case (SOC) explains the VA's decision regarding your claim. The VA issues it after you file a Notice of Disagreement (NOD) with the VA’s initial decision. The SOC includes a summary of the evidence, applicable laws, and the reasons for the VA's decision. It is essential to understand that the SOC starts a critical 60-day timeline for you to file your substantive appeal using VA Form 9.

Initial Steps in the VA Appeals Process

1. File Your Original Claim: Submit your claim to the VA for benefits.
  2. VA Decision: The VA will either grant or deny your claim and issue a VA ratings decision.
  3. Notice of Disagreement (NOD): If you disagree with the VA's decision, you file an NOD.
  4. Request a DRO Hearing: You can request a Decision Review Officer (DRO) hearing or an informal DRO conference.
  5. DRO Review Process: The DRO will review your case and either grant your claim or continue the denial.
  6.  Statement of the Case (SOC): If the DRO continues the denial, the VA will issue an SOC.

Analyzing the Statement of the Case

When you receive your SOC, it's essential to review it thoroughly. Here are the key components to focus on:

1. Cover Letter: The SOC usually starts with a cover letter, which includes the date of issuance. This date is crucial as it marks the beginning of your 60-day window to file your appeal.
  2. Veteran's Information: Ensure that your name, claim number, and social security number are correct. Any errors here can lead to significant issues down the line.
  3. Make sure that you listed all the issues you raised in your original claim and NOD in the List of Issues. If any issues are missing, you need to address this in your appeal.
  4. Evidence Summary: The SOC will list all the evidence the VA considered in deciding. Ensure you have copies of all these documents.
  5. Pertinent Laws and Regulations: The SOC will cite various laws and regulations. While this section can be dense, it's essential to ensure that the VA is using current and applicable laws.
  6. Decision and Reasons: This section outlines the VA's decision and the reasons for it. Pay close attention to this part, as it will guide your appeal strategy.

Common Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them

• Missing the Deadline: You have 60 days from the date on the SOC cover letter to file your VA Form 9. Missing this deadline can cause the dismissal of your appeal.
  • Incomplete Evidence: Ensure that all the evidence listed in the SOC is in your claims file. If any documents are missing, request them from the VA immediately.
  • Misinterpreting the Law: The SOC will cite various laws and regulations. If you're unsure about any legal references, seek clarification from a knowledgeable source.

Filing Your Substantive Appeal

To file your substantive appeal, you need to complete VA Form 9. Here are some tips for filling out the form:

• Be Thorough: Use continuation pages if necessary. The space on the form rarely details your arguments fully.
  • Address All Issues: Ensure that you address all the issues listed in the SOC. Include any issues that were omitted in your appeal.
  • Provide Specific Arguments: Relate your arguments to specific errors of fact or law made by the VA. Be as detailed as possible.
  • Sign and Date: Ensure that you sign and date the form. The reviewer may reject forms that are unsigned.

Conclusion

Understanding and effectively responding to a Statement of the Case is crucial in the VA appeals process. By thoroughly reviewing the SOC, gathering all necessary evidence, and filing a comprehensive VA Form 9, you can significantly improve your chances of a successful appeal. If you need assistance, seek help from accredited agents, attorneys, or veteran service organizations.

View full record

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use