Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA websites login issues: VA.gov, ebenefits, myhelathevet helpful phone number

Rate this question

RTCR65

Question

On 10/25/2022 at 10:46 AM, broncovet said:

I tried to login to va.gov.  They said my password was expired.  Ok, so I created a new one.  

Then, they wanted "2 factor authentication" which was sent to a phone I had 4 years ago, which has been disconnected as it was a land line.  So, it made login impossible.  

I went to my local VAMC.  In the past, the librarian was able to "in person" authentice, necessary for "premium" account at my healthevet/ebenefits.  

No more library due to covid.  

So, I was directed to Patient Advocate.  

PATIENT ADVOCATE explained:  

They gave me the login help for my healthy vet/ ebenefits/va.gov at 

1877 327-0022

or TTY 1-800-877 8339

Monday thru friday 7am to 7 pm CENTRAL time.  

On 10/26/2022 at 11:16 AM, Whodat said:

@broncovet, I am in the same situation. I can't log in to check/upload claim status or anything. The authentication process sucks because they have my old phone number and email which I don't have. 

I tried to log in with I'd me. I have a problem with uploading my driver's license so I tried to use my VA card. No-go. 

So as of now, I am waiting for a video chat from I'd me to verify me.

I was helping with my husband's claim, and we finally got the ID to work. The log in took me to the upload. As I had to return after a few minutes, a new login appeared requiring the license link via the phone. The link did not work and I was back where I started. As it is said to be a commercial site, I am avoiding it, and am in complete agreement that it is best avoided for our purposes. I was led to believe that myhealthvet was not secure enough, which of course does not make sense. I will pick one of the above. Thank you all for the helpful comments and sharing your predicaments. We can all relate! 

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

RTCR65, I tried to split this thread because the OP (Original Post is a few years old)

As to the website, it is currently having issues but I did get in. 

Sign in Error

We're sorry. Something went wrong on our end, and we couldn't sign you in.

Please try taking one of these steps to fix the problem:

• Make sure you are navigating to the correct application sign in page. If you have a URL for the application bookmarked, make sure it is up to date.
  • Make sure you move through the sign in process quickly. If you waited too long on the sign in page your request might have timed out.
  • Try clearing your browser's cookies and cache then try again. Depending on which browser you're using, you'll usually find this information referred to as "Browsing Data", "Browsing History", or "Website Data".

If you try the above and are still experiencing issues please contact your application support or call 800-983-0937.

2024-05-23T21:22:41Z

Something isn't right

We are unable to process your request. We have been notified of the problem and will do our best to make sure it doesn't happen again!

Unable to complete your request. Please try again.

If you try again and see this message, please visit our customer support knowledge base. Refer to the above error if contacting customer support.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

• Community Owner

You will need to go to https://secure.login.gov/ (Login.gov) and signup. It is the easiest way to login to va.gov. I think my DSLogin is still working but I have not tried it in a few months.. 

You may also note the following about the eBenefits.gov site.

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

Please see this link in reference to the problem you are having.

https://news.va.gov/12295/an-update-on-ebenefits/

As you may be aware, the eBenefits web portal was shut down for a period of time earlier this month, and a limited number of Veterans had some of their private information exposed to other Veterans or Servicemembers that were logged into the site.  I want to take the opportunity to explain what happened and what we are doing going forward.  I also want to apologize to any Servicemember, Veteran, or family member impacted by this interruption in service and inadvertent exposure of data.  You deserve better, we regret that this error occurred, and we are committed to serving you.

On the evening of Wednesday January 15, 2014, we updated a system that provides information to eBenefits.  While we were in the process of validating that the update was working, some Veterans notified VA that they were able to see other Veterans’ information when they were using eBenefits.  We took immediate action to examine these reports and discovered a problem had occurred.  As soon as the problem was confirmed, we stopped the update immediately and conducted a review to determine what went wrong.  We also took the opportunity to conduct a top-to-bottom review of the eBenefits system. eBenefits was brought back online after we were certain that the issue was resolved and that private Veteran information in eBenefits was protected.  The eBenefits portal is now available to use.

It’s important to know that this was not a malicious act of hacking to steal Veterans’ identities, but rather a problem introduced by a software update.  Regardless, we take any kind of data exposure seriously and will work to make sure this does not happen again.

In total, our initial analysis indicates that approximately 1,360 Veterans or Servicemembers may have had their information inadvertently exposed to other Veterans or Servicemembers.  Their information was potentially seen by as many as 5,351 fellow Veterans and Servicemembers who were logged into eBenefits during the time the software defect was in effect.  We sincerely hope that those who were able to view another user’s data protect their fellow Veterans’ or Servicemembers’ personal information as they would their own. If you saw another individual’s information, please do not share it.

VA’s independent Data Breach Core Team is continuing its review of this incident. When their review is complete, VA will reach out to each individual user whose information may have been improperly exposed about what steps should be taken and, as is standard VA practice, to offer free credit monitoring.

We greatly appreciate the Veterans and other eBenefits users who called our VBA call centers and brought this incident to our attention. VA cares deeply for every Veteran we are privileged to serve and that includes the protection of personal information.  We support the Veteran community, and we are all working together towards a common goal – to improve the lives of Veterans and their families. We encourage our Veterans to continue using the eBenefits portal as central location for Veterans, Servicemembers, and their families to research, find, and access their benefits and personal information.