Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Double Dipping

Rate this question

Leo

Question

My spouse is rated Unemployable by the VA and rated Service Connected at 70%. She receives 100% SC disability. We are currently applying for SSD, my question is she entitled to receiving 100% SSD or will it be pro-rated because she is already receiving disability from the VA. She retired from the Air Force after serving served 30 years. So in addition to receiving VA disability she also receives her retirement pension.

Leo

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

is she a FERS retiree or a regular military retiree? If regular military there is no offsets if they are under the FERS program then there are offsets but I don't think they started military FERS accounts until just recently but it ain't double dipping my step father got all of them Air Force Retirement, Postal Service retirement and SSD he was making more retired than I was working back in the 80's and 90's lol

Guest RickB54
My spouse is rated Unemployable by the VA and rated Service Connected at 70%. She receives 100% SC disability. We are currently applying for SSD, my question is she entitled to receiving 100% SSD or will it be pro-rated because she is already receiving disability from the VA. She retired from the Air Force after serving served 30 years. So in addition to receiving VA disability she also receives her retirement pension.

Leo

If she is approved for SSD there is no offset. someone mentioned fers retirement but that does not seem to apply in her case.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA is one thing.

The SSA is another.

If you are qualified to draw both, then you can draw both.

One has nothing to do with the other.

One (SSA) you paid into.

The VA is something that you were guaranteed/promised if you would only just sign this line, right here, and raise your right hand and promise to "defend against all enemys, domestic and foreign......etc, etc." You paid into that, also, just in a different currency......!

Leo,

My husband drew SSD, Military Retirement, and a 20% VA Compensation last year. The big thing military retirees have to watch for is not working after retirement. You have to have so many credits paid in during the last 10 years (like 5 years of credit in the last 5 years). My husband went to school after the military and then taught part time for a local college (not a Social Security Employer) so he almost missed getting SSD. Had he waited any longer to apply -- he would not have had enough credits paid in the last 10 years -- and working a little longer wouldn't have helped because each quarter he worked - he woud still be dropping off a quarter at the beginning of the 10 years -- thus staying even.

Free

Leo