Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Meds

Rate this question

Jerry_O

Question

I was just prescribed Prazosin HCL 2MG which I am told to take two every evening for nightmares. Has anyone taken these and would you please pass along your experience. Also, I take 60MG of Cymbalta.

Thanks.

Jerry O

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Prazosin, trade names Minipress® and Hypovase®, is a medication used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). It belongs to the class of alpha-adrenergic blockers, which lower blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels. Specifically, prazosin is selective for the alpha-1 receptors on vascular smooth muscle. These receptors are responsible for the vasoconstrictive action of norepinephrine, which in turn raises blood pressure. By blocking these receptors, prazosin reduces blood pressure.

Other features which add to the therapeutic value of Prazosin

1) The drug is orally active.

2) Unlike other less selective alpha blockers, which also block presynaptic alpha-2 receptors, it doesn't prevent inhibition of noradrenaline release. uninhibited noradrenaline release causes increased reflex tachycardia through the sympathetic baroreflex response that increases cardiac output, prazosin has a minimal effect on cardiac function due to its alpha-1 receptor selectivity.

3) Prazosin is also useful in treating urinary hesitancy associated with prostatic hyperplasia by blocking alpha-1 receptors, which control constriction of both the prostate and ureters.

Side effects of prazosin include orthostatic hypotension, syncope, and nasal congestion. The orthostatic hypotension and syncope are associated with the body's poor ability to control blood pressure without active alpha-adrenergic receptors. Patients on prazosin should be told not to stand up too quickly, since their poor baroreflex may cause them to faint as all their blood rushes to their feet. The nasal congestion is due to dilation of vessels in the nasal mucosa. One phenomenon associated with prazosin is known as the "first dose response", in which the side effects of the drug, especially orthostatic hypotension, are especially pronounced

• HadIt.com Elder

pssssssst......Hey GI, I gotta a seester and she's a.....ooooops, wrong board!

How about this?

pssssssst......Hey GI! I've discovered something that really does work, FOR ME. Might not work at all for others.....but, hey, it's almost as cheap as that kid's seester.

Benadryl. Take a couple of them just before bedtime.

I take Seroquel, or Quetiapine Fumarate... its used for Schizophrenia, or Bi-Polar which I am NOT diagnosed with, but it stopped the nightmares... so if it works.. what the heck.

I recommend the Physicians Desk Reference software, it covers almost every drug, and shows all the interaction, what is contrindicated, etc. Great tool, but a bit pricey... I use it ALL the time with claims though so it's well worth it.

It shows the brand name as well as the generic, etc. too.

Oh by the way for Benadryl:

Active Ingredients

(in each caplet): Purposes:

Acetaminophen

500 mg............................................Pain reliever/fever reducer

Diphenhydramine HCl

12.5 mg...........................................Antihistamine

Pseudoephedrine HCl

30 mg..............................................Nasal decongestant

Uses:

temporarily relieves these symptoms of hay fever and the common cold:

sneezing

runny nose

headache

minor aches and pains

sore throat

nasal congestion

temporarily relieves these additional symptoms of hay fever:

itching of the nose or throat

itchy, watery eyes

temporarily reduces fever

Warnings:

Alcohol warning: If you consume 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day, ask your doctor whether you should take acetaminophen or other pain relievers/fever reducers. Acetaminophen may cause liver damage.

Do not use:

with another product containing any of these active ingredients

if you are now taking a prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (certain drugs for depression, psychiatric, or emotional conditions, or Parkinson's disease), or for 2 weeks after stopping the MAOI drug. If you do not know if your prescription drug contains an MAOI, ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking this product.

with any other product containing diphenhydramine, even one used on skin.

Ask a doctor before use if you have:

heart disease

high blood pressure

thyroid disease

trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland

glaucoma

diabetes

a breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis

Ask a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are taking sedatives or tranquilizers

When using this product:

do not use more than directed

marked drowsiness may occur

avoid alcoholic drinks

alcohol, sedatives, and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness

be careful when driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery

excitability may occur, especially in children

Stop use and ask a doctor if:

you get nervous, dizzy or sleepless

new symptoms occur

pain or nasal congestion gets worse or lasts more than 7 days

fever gets worse or lasts more than 3 days

sore throat is severe

redness or swelling is present

sore throat lasts for more than 2 days, is accompanied or followed by fever, headache, rash, swelling, nausea, or vomiting

If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.

Keep out of reach of children.

Overdose warning: Taking more than the recommended dose may cause liver damage. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away. Quick medical attention is critical for adults as well as for children even if you do not notice any signs or symptoms.

Directions:

do not use more than directed (see overdose warning )

take every 6 hours while symptoms persist

adults and children 12 years of age and over: 2 caplets

children under 12 years of age: ask a doctor

do not take more than 8 caplets in 24 hours or as directed by a doctor

Other Information:

store at 59° to 77°F in a dry place

Inactive Ingredients: candelilla wax, corn starch, croscarmellose sodium, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hypromellose, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, pregelatinized starch, sodium starch glycolate, stearic acid, titanium dioxide, and zinc stearate

Questions:

Call 1-800-524-2624 (English/Spanish), weekdays, 9 AM - 5 PM EST

How Supplied: Available in boxes of 24 tablets

Copyright© 2006 Thomson PDR

So if you are taking an anti-depressant it might not be a great idea... thats what the PDR says anyway...