VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medi Ports

Rate this topic

The VAMC Hopital here in Louisville Kentucky is operating on Veterans to insert medi ports primarily for Chemotherapy patients whose veins are so damaged by the tratment that finding veins is near impossible and causes a great deal of pain. These ports were used not only for chemo treatmens but were accessed to allow dyes for Cat scans to be done in the Radiology Department.

Recently the VAMC received a new Phillips CT scan unit that utilizes a computerized high speed infusion method. This new infusion method does not allow the old ports presently used by Chemo Veterans at Louisville to be used with this new injection method. The radiology department did this change with no prior notice to Veterans (or for that matter even the AETC Chemo Therapy Department)with the Old Medi Ports forcing the nurses to have to go back to hunting for non existing veins to insert IV accesses into; which I can personally attest to is extremely painful. There is a new High speed infusion medi port but that entails removal of the old medi port and insertin of the new high speed infusion port. No problem you think? well my oncologist attending physician ordered his new port to be placed in my upper chest. Personnel in the Radilogy department stated there was just too much of a chance of infection andthey refused to do the procedure.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The VAMC Hopital here in Louisville Kentucky is operating on Veterans to insert medi ports primarily for Chemotherapy patients whose veins are so damaged by the treatment that finding veins is near impossible and causes a great deal of pain. These ports were used not only for chemo treatmens but were accessed to allow dyes for CT scans to be done in the Radiology Department.

Recently the VAMC received a new Phillips CT scan unit that utilizes a computerized high speed infusion method. This new infusion method does not allow the old ports presently used by Chemo Veterans at Louisville to be used with this new injection method. The radiology department did this change with no prior notice to Veterans (or for that matter even the AETC Chemo Therapy Department)with the Old Medi Ports forcing the nurses to have to go back to hunting for non existant veins to insert IV accesses into; which I can personally attest to is extremely painful. There is a new High speed infusion medi port but that entails removal of the old medi port and insertion of the new high speed infusion port. No problem you think? well my oncologist attending physician ordered this new port to be placed in my upper chest. Personnel in the Radilogy department stated there was just too much of a chance of infection and they refused to do the procedure.

Can a Radiolgist Practitioner Assistant who is not a Doctor " Surgeon" insert medi ports ino Veteran Oncology patients? Local civilian regulating agencys in Louisville said absolutely not but of couse this is VA which they do not regulate; what is the regulating authority that allows a Radiologist Practitioner Assiatant to perform this surgical procedure?

Guest RickB54
The VAMC Hopital here in Louisville Kentucky is operating on Veterans to insert medi ports primarily for Chemotherapy patients whose veins are so damaged by the tratment that finding veins is near impossible and causes a great deal of pain. These ports were used not only for chemo treatmens but were accessed to allow dyes for Cat scans to be done in the Radiology Department.

Recently the VAMC received a new Phillips CT scan unit that utilizes a computerized high speed infusion method. This new infusion method does not allow the old ports presently used by Chemo Veterans at Louisville to be used with this new injection method. The radiology department did this change with no prior notice to Veterans (or for that matter even the AETC Chemo Therapy Department)with the Old Medi Ports forcing the nurses to have to go back to hunting for non existing veins to insert IV accesses into; which I can personally attest to is extremely painful. There is a new High speed infusion medi port but that entails removal of the old medi port and insertin of the new high speed infusion port. No problem you think? well my oncologist attending physician ordered his new port to be placed in my upper chest. Personnel in the Radilogy department stated there was just too much of a chance of infection andthey refused to do the procedure.

If you are asking what to do..... then I would say....If they don't want to do the procedure then perhaps you need to talk to your doctor and get this resolved.

The only way I have to resolve this problem in order safe guard my health is to have a private Surgeon remove the old port and place a new high speed port into my chest. They indeed are aware of the problem. Big question is can they use a non-surgeon to do this procedure?

Edited by rthomass

• HadIt.com Elder

What IS a Radiologists Practitioners Assistant?

I've never heard of such an animal. Not saying that there isn't one, just saying I've never heard of one.

Go to acr.org on the internet or call the Radiology Manager at Louisville, KY VA Hospital (502)297-5992. They exist but are rare. The real question is not what are they but why are they doing surgey.

Edited by rthomass