Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Doctor Said Absolutely Not

Rate this question

Sherry

Question

I went to my appt on Monday and asked my doctor if she would put in for a scooter due to my sc pain issues, including the tarsal tunnel and plantar fascitis in my feet. She said absolutely not. I am young almost 29, but in substantial pain that makes me feel so terrible. I was really upset at her reaction to my request. I told her it would give me more independence to do fun things with my kids. There again she repeated the same statement and then added that once I got in one of the scooters, I would never get out. Of course that's an absurd statement in my opinion. She is a good doctor overall and I am pleased with her care more or less. But feel I am being discriminated against because of my age. I would like some opinions on if she has a valid point or should I go above her? Don't wanna piss any one off though. Or should I just leave it be and request one when I get older? I think sixthscents told me before that it goes before a board; not the doctor that gets to decide. Anyways I am frustrated. Thanks in advance.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sherry, I am a little older than you are and I understand the pain situation cause I live with pain on the left side of the body due to my stroke, 24 hours per day. However, I kinda feel that the doc is right. If we don't force these old bodies to move out then they kinda forget how. When we get into a situation, such as disabled, we seem to become complaced with our situation and once again the muscles in the body just give up.

I can not feel my foot but it hurts as though someone is ripping the flesh from the bone. This feeling is increased bunches with simple touch. however, in an effort not to give up walking I accepted the ideal of having a special made AFO which would allow me to feel the foot when it hits the ground plus it keeps my ankle from breaking. Although it increases my pain I force myself to move on cause I am afraid if I give up then my life will change forever. I guess what I am trying to say is that your doc seems to have your over all physical well being in her concerns and does not want you to give up one of your most valuable assets - the ability to walk- without a fight.

Hang in there and if you really need one I am sure it will come your way.

Sherry,

I'm 30 and have arthritis, I have no cartilage in my ankles and flat feet. I asked for a scooter 2 years ago when the pain was increasing beyond my control. The doc instead had me fitted for cuffs and strong braces so the pain was eased off a bit. Ask your doc for alternatives like the sturdy insoles or some kind of cuff. Even with support I still have pain but it's manageable and I am mobile and not stuck to a scooter. No I can't run, but my kids still enjoy my company.

"I guess what I am trying to say is that your doc seems to have your over all physical well being in her concerns and does not want you to give up one of your most valuable assets - the ability to walk- without a fight."

Ricky said this and I totally agree.

In a past post I mentioned that the VA said my husband would be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life -after he suffered a major stroke- that they caused (FTCA,Sec 1151)

This was a call to arms for me and Rod and as sick as he was in the VAMC,stuck in the wheelchair - with me 6 hours away from the hosp-running the livestock farm-as soon as we heard this diagnosis- we fought vigorously to get him rehabiliation.2 days later he was scheduled for rehabilitation.

A few weeks later per the VA Rehabiliation Dept-after him being in excrutiating pain during the rehab yet never complaining-

my husband walked again. The med entries in his records state after his first painful rehab appointment-"This veteran is an excellent candidate for rehabilition".

The same vet who would never walk again.

I think Ricky is right and that your doctor's point is very sound.

Dependency on a scooter or wheelchair is often unavoidable.

But I sure wish my husband had this type of doctor long ago- who

might have ordered the Rehab right away and would not have told us what these VA doctors did.

As it was- the rehab should have started weeks before it did- Rods arms and legs were atrophied so much that he could not move and the VA wanted us to believe this was paraysis from his stroke.

Good thing we didnt buy that at all.

• HadIt.com Elder

Over the years I have seen the VA hand out scooters like popcorn and most of the time they try not to do it. I don't know if you need one or not but I don't think that your chances are good. Have you thought about a walker that uses wheels and that you can use as a chair? I have also noticed that a lot of Vets use a wheel chair as a Walker at the VA.

If you have Medicare you might see what they have to say about a scooter?

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Pete you stand a better chance with Medicare at Dorn you have to be darn near bed ridden to get a scooter, they don't even like paying for walkers I see most vets with the long arm canes I guess they are cheaper, now at Augusta I see more scooters and walkers with seats built into them I guess a lot of it is which VA hospital you go to. I was lucky when I got my power chair the doctor on the "board" that approved them was my cardiac rehab doctor and my bad back and low ejection fraction made it possible for him to authorize the power chair, I use the walker most days but I have been known to use the chair when I am in to much pain to use the walker