Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is The Va There To Help Vets With Their Claims?

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have read many hundreds or maybe thousands of BVA Claims and have yet to see where a VA Attorney was helpful to a Veteran. I wonder why this is. Isn't the purpose of the VA to help Veterans not be adversarial and yet that is the way it is.

Is there anyone on Hadit who believes that the VA tried to help them with their claim?

It seems to me that as we try to get the wounded Veteran back up and functioning the VA is missing an opportunity to lead rather than follow. For most of these Veterans it is not rocket science that shows they are needing help and plenty of it.

The VA should appoint free legal representation to any Veteran who has to stand before the BVA of CVA in my opinion.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience is people who work for the VA who are just plain dishonest.

I am tired of dodging pot holes placed in front of me for me to fall into.

The Lord knows that I have enough trouble with my balance, that I don't need this.

To my knowledge, if the AMC is being honest, my claim is finally out of the overflow and ready to rate. If I receive a denial, will I continue this claim? I doubt it. I may ask for reconideration, but that will be it for me.

Five years is enough for me and I am out. I will free up space for another vet. Far too many valium pills to continue.

I feel that I have been treated for the same conditon after service beginning in 1967, as my discharge was 1964, and their is a connection between the two.

I have been to Psychiatrist, and I refuse to leave the " Board Certified Internist" that has saved my life several times since 1978, and this would be at the age of 34 years of age.

If he doesn't know me after 29 years, versus a 30 minute C&P, then I am out.

To have the same physician for 29 years, to me is saying a lot. He did not diagnose my anxiety and depression, this was done by a Family Practice Doctor and a Board Certifed Psychiatrist. He has just taken over where they left off.

I would have to say in truth the U.S Navy first typed the words nervousness, headaches and irratibility, this was done by two Board Certified Psychiatrist in the U.S. Navy. They are also the first to type the drugs "Librium" and "Cafergot".

Is there a connection between the treatment in 1964 and treatment again in 1967 and for the next 42 years and for the rest of my life is for the VA to decide.

I know that there are many on this site that feels that the VA is here is help me and I am sure that I will hear from them on this post.

I only pasted what " Hoppy" already said for me.

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

I'm sorry to hear that Josephine:-( I think another big problem with the VA is accountability. They break their regs ALL the time at the RO level and, to be honest, I think they knowingly do so some of the time. They violate these regs to justify lower claims, which take years to appeal and when the veteran wins the case (as they should when the BVA properly uses the regs) NOTHING is done to the original RO who clearly violated those statutes. How many times have we heard a veteran say they have 3 doctors saying they are 100% disabled, but the RO uses the ONE descending voice (typically the MD the RO set up for a quick C&P) in order to lowball the claim....how is this not a direct violation of reasonable doubt? By VA law if one sees 4 equally qualified doctors and two say the veteran is 100% and two say the veteran is 70%, the RO should give the benefit of the doubt in favor of the claimant and award the 100%, but they don't; time and time again.

As with the gentleman who had his rating dropped recently (in another thread) JUST because the RO opened his case (without new evidence) and let some doctor "review" it without even seeing the veteran....this should be criminal, but they will get away with it and, as a result, they will do it again and again and again, because our VA representatives have failed us miserably and are scared to stand up to these people and call them for what they are; criminals. VA law *IS* the law...they are laws mandated by the congress of this great country and I am dumbfounded that someone can knowingly ignore a direct mandate from congress and not even get a slap on the hand.

Until we hold them accountable, cases will be mismanaged and the process will depend on whether, or not, you get a good, honest reviewer; NOT the merits of your case.

Edited by Jay Johnson

• HadIt.com Elder

Jay,

What you are saying is true. If only someone would clean up all the Regional Offices.

How can this be going on in today's society?

Male veterans every where are being deprived of their rights. veterans fighting like crazy, when our government should be happy and thank them for their service.

This is not the case and I am afraid that it is going to get worse.

I know now that joining the Navy at the age of 19 was the most stupid thing that I have ever done, but I actually thought that I would receive an excellent opportunity for an education and " See the World".

I just spoke again to the Patient Advocate, which reviewed my C&P with the Board of two Psychiatrist that gave me the personality disorder and he said, " Dr. xxxxxx and Dr. xxxx feel that all women that join service have some type of personaltiy disorder and want to get away from home for adventure and the night life.

Women do not join the service for an education and for any good reasons.

I think they just called me a "xxxxx"

I will receive an answer any time, I expect, and I will post their decision.

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

Jay,

What you are saying is true. If only someone would clean up all the Regional Offices.

How can this be going on in today's society?

Male veterans every where are being deprived of their rights. veterans fighting like crazy, when our government should be happy and thank them for their service.

This is not the case and I am afraid that it is going to get worse.

I know now that joining the Navy at the age of 19 was the most stupid thing that I have ever done, but I actually thought that I would receive an excellent opportunity for an education and " See the World".

I just spoke again to the Patient Advocate, which reviewed my C&P with the Board of two Psychiatrist that gave me the personality disorder and he said, " Dr. xxxxxx and Dr. xxxx feel that all women that join service have some type of personaltiy disorder and want to get away from home for adventure and the night life.

Women do not join the service for an education and for any good reasons.

I think they just called me a "xxxxx"

I will receive an answer any time, I expect, and I will post their decision.

Thanks,

Josephine

Josephine

I try to think of the waiting time as, "not a day lost but a day closer to a decision."

Paul

When I count my blessings I count my family and friends twice.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Well done is better than well said.

• HadIt.com Elder

Paul,

I am wishing for your benefits to be forth coming very shortly. I love to hear that a veteran has received them.

Much success with your clue claim also.

Always,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

I have a primary care doctor at the VA that is "well known in his knowledge on VA and medical background in Heart and etc." However, ever time I get to see him its a 5 min Q&A and not eval my issues. While I am 100 & becuase of I/U, I never used him. After speaking to a nurse and a Nurse Practictioner who works with my doc on some occasions....they quoted him in his dismissal statements. "Let me guess......********". I was told he is one of those civilan doctors who never seen combat, and while he knows things to help vets, he goes out of his way to make sure things are worded for denial. This coming from two staff members in his primary care office....It's shameful......I went to this Nurse Practitioner (same authority in VA) and they were absolutely great. I just wish I can change my doctor to this one. I'd have to say VA isn't on the side of the Vet, unless your working with Vets who are in a position to help. The others look for the paycheck, and look at Vets as a burden.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------