Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Intro: Medically Retired From Army, What Now?

Rate this question

MrLogan13

Question

Hello everyone. I've been lurking and browsing the boards for a couple of days now, and I wanted to thank everyone for the wealth of information that is available here, and thank each and every one of you for your service.

Unfortunately, I could use some help and advice. Here is my situation:

In 2004, I completed my MEB and PEB for asthma that developed as a result of a bad case of pneumonia. I was placed on the TDRL at 50%. I was set to be reevaluated one year from that time. Before I left active duty, I made sure to refill all my prescriptions at the TMC; I had enough meds to last me about a year. It was my hope that I would be taken off the TDRL and return to active duty; that's all I wanted was to serve in the Army.

I was reevaluated in 2005 at Madigan in Ft Lewis, and the PEB decided to take me off the TDRL and permanently retired me with 30%. Before I left Ft Lewis, I made sure to refill all my prescriptions; I had enough for about a year again. Once again, my sole desire was to petition this later and get back into the Army. I knew it would be hard, but I was hopeful. Obviously by now, I know there's probably no chance of me returning to AD. I have never filed a claim with the VA, but now that I know there's no chance of getting back in, I want to file.

I really haven't been to the doctor too much for my conditions. That's going to hurt me, isn't it? Also, I have other conditions noted in my PEB that the Army didn't rate me on, such as Pes Planus, Allergic Rhinitis (the PEB stated that these conditions were incurred in service). In additions, I have problems that I had during service that didn't get on my PEB, such as joint pain, back pain, and tinnitus. I know I messed up by not going to the doctors. What can I do now to make it better, and improve my chances for a successful VA claim?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Mr Logan:

Welcome to Hadit. Not going to see a Doc is not helpful but if you have chronic conditions and a method of self treatment it can be explained. You might consider getting an outside medical opinion that gives you a current diagnosis and how severe as you certainly can prove it started in the Service.

Good Luck on your claim

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Do I understand correctly that you have never yet filed an original claim for service connected

disability - a form 21-526 ?

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Do I understand correctly that you have never yet filed an original claim for service connected

disability - a form 21-526 ?

carlie

Yes, that is correct. I guess I foolishly held on to the hope of returning to active duty, so I never filed.

I would file a 21-526 ASAP to get the earliest effective date possible.

If you don't have these URL's - I'm sure you will want them. Study all you can.

VA form 21-526, (fillable)

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-526-ARE.pdf

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...fr3_main_02.tpl

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...fr4_main_02.tpl

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/M21_1MR.html

Hope this helps a vet.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Well you are on the right track by visiting Hadit. There are many here who can guide you through the maze. It's a long road but it is one that you can travel on and eventually come to an end. The below advice to file you claim now is dead on. Yes you do need to go to the doctor and get treatment for those items contained in your service records and on the PEB. This will give you a current diagnosis, continuity of symptoms and assist in providing a nexus to associate your current disabilities to your service.

As you gather the medical evidence from you civilian docs you just simply send it to the VA to add to your claim. Since you just recently left active service it will be easy to establish a nexus to you service for these items.

Claim them all and gather all the evidence you can to support your claim. Hang here on Hadit and other vet sites on the internet and you will soon learn they system and become comfortable with it.

Welcome to Hadit, good luck with your claim and thank you for your service to our great country.