Ad free subscription.

This eBook will teach you how to get C-Files (paper and electronic) from the VA Regional Office.
How to Get your VA C-File

• Topics

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Loss of compensation
      I have 20% compensation for lower back strain (5295). My civilian Spinal Doctor, after spinal injections, etc, recommends surgery to relieve spinal stenosis. Will I loose my compensation?
    • Social Security disability
      Those under the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) pay into Social Security. Social Security makes up about a quarter to third of the federal employees retirement.  That's of course, it's still available when you reach retirement.
    • 100% P and T SMC L
      I have often wondered if I would qualify for L or housebound for similar issues.  I have been holding out honestly hoping the caregiver program opens up to Desert Storm era veterans.  I would love to know how you went about your claim for L.  Congrats!!
    • "other than likely more"
      What the f**k does this mean?, "Mild degenerative changes as described above other than likely more prominent facet arthropathy lower lumbar spine"  That is the comment from my VA clinic NP in myHealthyvet from a thorasic spine xray taken earlier this year from my civilian doctor that she requested.  I was asking for and got from her a prescription for Naproxin so I would not have to pay out of pocket. This is the comment she is reffering to ("described above") from my problem list in myHealthyvet. "xray 7/11 mild thoracic DJD&DDD, mild lumbar DJD" So, am I gettling better or worse? "other than likely more", WTF?? My mom is in the nursing home, but was and English teacher and my daughter is an English teacher, maybe I will run it by them, ha, ha. Hamslice PS, I am at 20% thorasic for ROM.      
    • 25 Year Long Service Connected Disability Denied After C/p Exam.
      I will continue to fight for those benefits as long as I can. Today was or should I say is a Good day for me and my family. As I went by the VSO to get clarification on some things about my Appeal that did not make sense. And while there I had questions about the New Claim for Depression secondary to Bilateral Patella Femoral Syndrome. They were able to access the real time updates of the VA system, where as eBenefits is usually 24-48 hours behind or maybe even more. Anyways the nice lady that pulled it up ask if I had received and letter from the VA yet. And I told her no we had not received anything other what see was looking at for me. With a Big Smile on her face she said there is some very Good News. So I was hoping great they finally made a decision on something. She told us that my Claim for Depression was approved and Rated at 50% Yes that is very Good News to me and my family as it is a starting point. They denied any back pay except for the part from when I filed it in February 26,2016. So yes it is good and I was expecting a better decision for the back pay.  I did ask what that made my Disability Rating now what that decision. And she said it made my Disability Rating 60% and i was a little shocked at it being only 60%. I will not know for sure until they send me the exact amount of pay and when it will start. i am working on getting a Lawyer to look through my C-file and see what all is there and not there and what is being done correctly and what needs to be done now. I am including the Decision Letter that she printed out for me today and posting it here. Thanks all for your understanding and patience with me.      
    • Space A Travel For 100% Pt Sc Dav Petition
      Lets ask our congressmen what happened to it. That was last years defense bill. J
    • IU and SSDI Journey
      Thanks Berta! (so happy it worked out for you eventually)   I have an "intent to file" in the system that is asking for an increase on PTSD along with IU.  Going to add the SA secondary to PTSD into it, headaches, et cetera. So I have the Sleep Dr stating "More than likely", the Voc Rehab "denial", my VA PCP stating "unable to maintain gainful...", and the SSDI approval.  (The issue is, I can't add docs and finish the IU part on E-bennies until I suppose I RESIGN from work, since I was on STD and now on FMLA).  Was told by some that being on STD/FMLA was the same as "working" and would be detrimental to applying for IU, so I did SSDI first.  
    • 90 rated?
      What benefits are their for someone that's rated at 90? I'm not stopping here but just want to use them while I'm at 90 to help out with my family.
    • Social Security disability
      The only time I'm aware the windfall provision comes into play is if you contribute to a retirement system in lieu (or instead of) contributing to Social Security.  This occurs when working for certain State Governments and the Federal Govt pre FERS (or CSRS employees).  I don't remember the reduction percentages being quite that high though.   Please take a look at this document https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf  it does a good job explaining how the windfall provision works.  FYI, there are different multipliers used in calculating your SS benefit.  The first calculator is 90% of a certain base.  The windfall reduces the percentage but it doesn't appear to me that it reduces it to the degree you were told.   https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep-chart.html States the following " *Important: The maximum amount may be overstated. The WEP reduction is limited to one-half of your pension from non-covered employment."
    • Attorney Telephone Consultation
      Had bad vibes from an attorney today while seeking someone to help me with my claims.. Bad Vibe#1.;  Was given a date and time that we would have the phone consultation, and he was 45 minutes late calling me. If I am NOT important enough for him to be PUNCTUAL at the beginning of our dealings, I'm thinking it will only get worse after I sign the contract allowing him to represent me.   Bad Vibe #2; I ALWAYS like to meet someone face to face before I decide to use their services. Wanting to do it by phone seems too impersonal, and made me seem insignificant. Plus, I like to get a read on somebody by their facial expressions and body language.     Bad Vibe #3; 2. He is telling me he is sure he can get me at least 70% and TDIU for my PTSD that was granted but not service connected. Told me he has great doctors to file an IMO, and get my rating service connected and and at a ratable 70% disability. He isn't God, and has no idea what's in my C-File, and to tell me this, scares me.   Bad Vibe #4; 3. Cost His charge will be 30% of award of compensation. He also said I would have to pay a cost for IMO of $2000.00. I said "Why do you charge 30%?" He said, "Because I am worth it."   He's mailing the contract  for my signature. Something tells me it will have disclaimers, hidden fees, and a lot of stuff that will really be bad. Currently the VA  granted a 1151 claim based on negligence, for anxiety and depression @ 50%. I have two more open claims. One is 1151 for spine, the other is tinnitus/hearing loss. Checked Ebenefits and  the decision letter on the tinnitus/hearing is in the mail I didn't see a new disability added, so it must be a denial letter. So.... they going to deny a tinnitus claim by a person that worked on 671 Detroit Diesels as a mechanic for almost two years?   The attorney seemed disinterested in the spine, and other claims. I told him the spine claim has been deferred, and he asked if the VA has done a C&P for my spine. I told him, no. Attorney told me he'll file a NOD on the PTSD non-service connection, and get a copy of my C-File. Seemed to me that is where he is focused , on the PTSD. I don't know why.   I'm near Orlando. Any suggestions/recommendations for a law firm besides Hill and Ponton?  

• HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran providing FREE information and community to veterans since 1997.

I am proud that I've been able to offer all that HadIt.com has for free for 19 years and continue to do so. HadIt.com does accept contributions to help with costs we also offer paid ad free subscriptions. None of the paid options are required. The forum, the website, news site and podcast are free and will remain so. If you choose to support the site with a contribution or a subscription it is appreciated but never required. If you choose to make a contribution or purchase an ad free subscription, you can do so here. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danang_1969

Travel Pay

19 posts in this topic

I understand that VA travel pay has increased to 28.5 cents per mile. A vet may go to the travel pay window at the VAMC and collect their travel pay after the visit occurs or the vet can call the eligibility office within 30 days after the visit has occurred; give your name, date of the visit, what facility you went to, and your last four and request a check be mailed to you; if no travel pay window exists at the satellite clinic you went or you failed to do it while you were there for any reason. How many vets can find this travel pay telephone number on www.va.gov? I can't. How many are aware of being eligible for this travel pay? Please anyone add any information about travel pay that I have missed or please correct in errors in my understanding. I believe many vets are missing this benefit from not being aware of these facts or not having the number of the office to call and request the check be sent to your home. I just discovered it not long ago; but all those visits that occurred over 30 days prior to finding out are not recoverable.

Danang_1969

It depends on how far away you live from the VAMC/clinic as to how many visits within a one month period are required to get travel pay. I live about 30 miles from my VAMC, and I have to have appointments on four seperate days in a calendar month to be eligible for travel pay. This doesn't apply to C&P's. You always get travel pay for a C&P.

There still is a deductable ( Not sure how much it is it was $18.00 at the old rate) ,in my case I do not collect travel until I complete three visits within one month. But then it is more than twice as much as before

the deductible is 15.65 per visit for the first 3 visits

I live 65 (about) miles from My VAMC and rarely go more than once a month. All I know is that my T-pay for a regularly scheduled visit wen't from $9 to $24!

(Does disability % factor in?)

There are many unanswered questions concerning travel pay; it seems. This information should be provided on www.va.gov but it’s not. We know the pay is 28.5 cents per mile but need to know what numbers to call in requesting travel pay; when no travel window is provided at the VAMC; we need to know exactly who is eligible; for how much and what instances. In all things “we have not because we ask not” as the creator of the universe explains. I don’t believe that was the main topic HE was referring to; but it certainly applies the VA claims process as we all know. Many vets are 10 to 100% disabled; and the vets have not because they ask not. Many times the vet ask not; because they don’t know how to ask; and in some cases the vet is not able to ask in the manner that is required by the VA to receive. Someone who is really up on travel pay would really promote things on hadit.com for the vet; by posting all the information on travel pay the VA has failed to post. Maybe VA travel pay having it’s own special tab section here on hadit in the benefits process information section in redneck language.

Danang_1969

Travel Pay is paid for treatment of a Service Connected injury and also for all Veterans who are 50% or more who live far enough away to collect it. The only way you can find out is to ask for it at the travel pay window after you go to an appointment.

A rough guess is if your round trip is over 60 miles you can get it. Or you make more than 3 visits a month. Or its a C&P or visit to treat a service connected injury.

You can also go to the business office if the travel pay window is closed, or if there isn't one.

Thanks guys. I live over a 100 miles from the main state facility. I live almost that far from the outpost facility; where I go most of the time. This outpost facility has no window and no business office but you have to call and request it. The drill has been to call the eligibility office at the main facility for travel pay after going to the outpost facility. Since I found that telephone number from another vet and have been able to get Thur to them and request it; I have drawn travel pay and I'm only 30% for all visits. Have I drawn it unjustly or is there a variation in states rules and offices? See what I'm saying.

Danang_1969

Edited by danang_1969

Danang you are eligible per the FAQ on the VA gov site:

Reimbursement for mileage or public transportation may be paid to the following:

Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated at 30% or more;

Veterans traveling for treatment of a service-connected condition;

Veterans receiving a VA pension;

Veterans traveling for scheduled compensation or pension examinations;

Veterans whose income does not exceed the maximum VA pension rate;

Mileage reimbursement is made at the current rate of 11 cents per mile. Travel payment is subject to a deductible of $3. for each one-way trip. There is an $18. per month maximum deductible.

You are not subject to a deductible if you are traveling for a compensation or pension examination.

Looks like the VA hasn't plugged in the new rates yet.

stillhere

I inquired about travel pay (back pay) they said they will go back 2 years. Just wondered if there is a reg or if it is local decision. I am at 70% for past year 30 % for several before that.

at the VA where i go, Fargo, nd, they will only go back 30 days for travel pay, no exceptions, I even have asked the veteran advocate, and he says, yes, 30 days is the limit they go back, so if some VA go back 2 years, then very lucky.

The clinic that services myself has a travel pay form at the desk where I check in.

You have to ask for it.

sledge

Does anyone know the Form # to complete for travel pay????

The form number is 3542. The current VA travel pay rate is 41.5 cents per mile. The first 3 trips, each month, have deductable of $6 per round trip and then the full amount is paid, for all other trips that month.

pr

Does anyone know the Form # to complete for travel pay????
Edited by Philip Rogers

I travel over 300 miles round trip for many doctor visits, the last time I went they paid me $123, the next time I went, last week, the travel pay window was closed, I was given a number to the financial office and I called the day after my appointment and the next day and the next day, then finally I spoke to someone and they are suppose to send me a form to sign and return, then they will send me a check.

I was there in June last year and was told that I did not qualify for travel pay because I was not 30% SC , later I found out I was eligible for travel pay because I was there for my SC condition. When I called them back, they said that was correct, but refused to pay me because it was more than 30 days ago, even tho it was their error.

The lady got a little upset, she told me that I should be going to the closest VAMC for my treatment and when I told her that it was the closest and it was over 300 miles round trip, she went uhhh ohhh.

Such is life, living in a small hamlet, 100 people, almost everyone talks to you like you live in a city. When I tell them the closest 4 way traffic light is about 20 miles away and the next one is about 40 miles away, many people go Wow, you live in the sticks. They may call it the sticks, but I call it paradise.

Edited by hurryupnwait

Hurryupnwait - I'd apply for the mileage for the June date and if denied, run it thru the appeal process. If you state your case they may approve it. If you don't, they win and you lose, automatically. It's a no brainer!!! jmo

pr

VA Travel Reimbursement

Reimbursement for mileage or public transportation may be paid to the following:

Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated at 30% or more;

Veterans traveling for treatment of a service-connected condition;

Veterans receiving a VA pension;

Veterans traveling for scheduled compensation or pension examinations;

Veterans whose income does not exceed the maximum VA pension rate;

2009 Mileage Rate Update: Mileage reimbursement has increased from 28 cents per mile to 41.5 cents. While increasing the payment, the current deductible amounts applied to certain mileage reimbursements will remain frozen at $7.77 for a one way trip, $15.54 for a round trip, and capped at a maximum of $46.62 per calendar month. On January 9, 2009, these deductibles will decrease to $3 for a one way trip, $6 for a round trip, with a maximum of $18 per calendar month. Deductibles can be waived if they cause a financial hardship to the veteran.

The deductibles are also waived for veterans traveling for scheduled compensation or pension examinations.

I believe this is the regulation that covers travel pay: 38 CFR 17.126

pr

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

PART 17—MEDICAL

Payment and Reimbursement of the Expenses of Medical Services Not Previously Authorized

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 17.126 Timely filing.

Claims for payment or reimbursement of the expenses of medical care or services not previously authorized must be filed within the following time limits:

(a) A claim must be filed within 2 years after the date the care or services were rendered (and in the case of continuous care, payment will not be made for any part of the care rendered more than 2 years prior to filing claim), or

(:) In the case of case or services rendered prior to a VA adjudication allowing service-connection:

(1) The claim must be filed within 2 years of the date the veteran was notified by VA of the allowance of the award of service-connection.

(2) VA payment may be made for care related to the service-connected disability received only within a 2-year period prior to the date the veteran filed the original or reopened claim which resulted in the award of service-connection but never prior to the effective date of the award of service-connection within that 2-year period.

(3) VA payment will never be made for any care received beyond this 2-year period whether service connected or not.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 7304)

[33 FR 19012, Dec. 20, 1968, as amended at 39 FR 1844, Jan. 15, 1974; 45 FR 53807, Aug. 13, 1980; 51 FR 8673, Mar. 13, 1986. Redesignated at 61 FR 21966, May 13, 1996]

Browse Previous | Browse Next

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For questions or comments regarding e-CFR editorial content, features, or design, email ecfr@nara.gov.

For questions concerning e-CFR programming and delivery issues, email webteam@gpo.gov.

Section 508 / Accessibility