VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stroke

Rate this question

bguerrero

Question

I'm retired from the USMC and also recieving 20% va hypertension/some skin problem. Will, two months ago I had a 2 TIA's which lead up to an acute stroke and since had 5 more TIA's. All in all I've been in and out of the hospital the past 8 weeks. Now thier saying I'm getting complex migraines so bad that my right side becomes weak like a stroke at it last up to 2 -3 hours at a time. Any idea's on the va ratings on this? And advice? I just started to get my medical records in order and will be visiting the San Diegq DAV office this week. I have recovered from the stroke but not 100%. I'm a Letter Carrier for USPS and so for un able to carry mail.

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I just drop off medical records to the VA for the Migraine secondary to the Stroke. During my C&P exam last week for the stroke, he question me about the migraines. Hopefully there won't be another exam. In my records the Neurologist states the migraine's developed from the stroke. My big concern now is my job, with the residuals from the stroke and the migraine flair ups, my employer is not to please. I'm working but on limited duty for now, can't carry my entire route. I don't have a walking route! With this VA math, I'll be lucky to get a 50% rating!

"I had every test done Echo of the heart, MRI,Angiogram. I have no heart problems just atherosclerosis and high cholestrol."

That is good-an ECHO reveals extent of any serious damage of atherosclerosis in the part where they measure the arteries as to blood flow.

Atherosclerosis in service connected diabetes however is strongly associated with DMII and should be claimed as secondary to DMII.

It is part of a medical trilogy-high cholestrol, high tryglycerides and DMII

impact on heart can combine and cause atherosclerosis.

Part of the hyperlipid hypothesis.

HBP also can cause atherosclerosis.

Got the brown envelope today, not so good news. Got 100% for 6 months for Left cerebral infarction. 0% for Atherosclerosis. They deferred the decicision on the migraine due to that they need more evidence. I'm still being treated by my Neurologist, I'm going to a sleep lab next week! Just another claim to add on to later. My question is, do I get real money for 6 months or is it like the way they pay me the 20% from my retirement check?

I don't really know much about stroke ratings. I feel for you about the migraines though. Mine are terrible. I think you'll fall in the 50% for the migraines.

I'm just thinking out loud here(well okay, with my fingers) but if you feel your still having memory problems you may be able to get that rated also. Berta can chime in if she wants. DC930something is dementia due to stroke I believe. Dementia is memory problems ect. Just a thought.

Got the brown envelope today, not so good news. Got 100% for 6 months for Left cerebral infarction. 0% for Atherosclerosis. They deferred the decicision on the migraine due to that they need more evidence. I'm still being treated by my Neurologist, I'm going to a sleep lab next week! Just another claim to add on to later. My question is, do I get real money for 6 months or is it like the way they pay me the 20% from my retirement check?

Bq you will get your full retirement plus 100 percent from the VA. If you are claiming the headaches secondary to the stroke they will not rate them until the six months has passed.