VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus Not Cuased By Jet Noise

Rate this question

Theblaze

Question

Just completed 20 years with USAF.

Also just finished my initial C&P 2 weeks ago.

Got the C&P notes today and found what I think is a problem.

I've had annoying tinnitus for over a decade. It was first recorded in my SMRs 5 years ago, and was recorded in my SMRs 7 times after that prior to discharge. I believe that the tinnitus is a direct result of 16 years of flying Air Force jets coupled with being subjected to 7 inglorious months of rocket attack while on the ground in Iraq . Yet the C&P Audiologist opined that since to the hearing test he gave me came back essentially identical to my service entry hearing test (hurray I thought, one valuable faculty of mine that was undamaged!), that my tinnitus was less-likely-as-not to have been caused by military service.

I'd appreciate any advice at this point. I am still prior to that initial DECISION, so is there anything I should do right now, in light of this peek I've been able to get at the C&P notes?

Thaks so much!!!

Blaze

BTW, here is the exact transcription:

"There is no current objective evidence of hearing loss, threshold shift, or cochlear damage/dysfunction that I would expect to see if his tinnitus were from military noise exposure, and it is my clinical opinion that this Veterans tinnitus is less likely as not caused by or a result of military noise exposure."

Good advice, and thanks to everyone for the replies!

It was an audiologist that offered the opinion from the C&P.

While I thought this particular condition would be an easy one since it is so obvious (to me at least), I see that it will require some work on my part.

But I'm up for that since I see this one as ultimately a win, just with some built in delay.

Thanks again!

Blaze

I was given a diagnosis of subjective tinnitus by a VA audiologist and also a hearing aid as my hearing test values showed mod impairment as well as were mod impairment for speech discrimination...this was over 2 years ago and the claim is still sitting at the VARO along with TDIU claim. All were denied , I requested DENOVO review DRO, got the same soc exactly the same as the first one with errors on it regarding % granted for other issues...sent in letters documenting their errors, have not heard a thing regarding these claims. When I call they say we received your form 9 blah blah blah, and are reviewing claim...hum entire file was at BVA about 2 yrs, then sent to VARO for C&P so how could someone be reviewing this when VARO only keeps a small temp file?

Get all the ammunition that is recorded in your files to fight them.

The reality is tinnitus is a subjective disorder...you hear it all the time, others can't get into your head and hear it. They may spectulate whether they can assess this via exam of the inner ear canal, but it is spectulative. Look up on the net under noise levels of jets, durations of exposure and seek as others recommend, another audiology exam by a certified audiologist.

Like Pete53 said. If you joined the service without tinnitus, and got a diagnosis of tinnitus during your service, then it is what it is. Your hearing test was one persons opinion. I wouldn't worry about it until you get the rating decision letter, and see what your rating is for tinnitus.

Best of luck to you,

--Jim