VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Success At Last

Rate this topic

mssoup1

Yes-it is possible to get CHAMPVA retro- depends on their own criteria-

I got a letter like that too that I was possibly eligible- and CHAMPVA did approve it- It is independent of the VA in many ways- so CHAMPVA has their own application and regs they follow.

VA will make a decision on Chapter 35 but not a concrete CHAMPVA deciision -for this reason-

CHAMPVA:

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp

I think you can apply on line and they are pretty good at the toll free number too for questions.

Chapter 35- the VA has paid amost $10,000 for my Educational benefits so far and my daughter is using Chap 35 for her Masters in lieu of her GI Bill-

This is a wonderful VA benefit too that should not be overlooked.

Edited by Berta

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry,

Congratulations on your win as well. It seems I have seen a few posts at different forums where the veteran recently was given IU or IU/P&T. It is so great to hear of these success stories.

Also, I will get my husband to call Monday to get the IU/P&T letter. Thanks for the heads up on this. I also am going to apply for both the ChampVA for myself and the insurance and waiver on my husband. Also want the miitary ID card.

Berta,

Thanks for your response. You have been such a great help to a lot of veterans on this forum. I think their responses back to you shows that.

ChampVA will be a help to me if I can get that. As far as Education benefits, they won't really help me. Since I am retired on disability as well, (lots of health problems including 2 heart attacks and 3 TIA's) going to school for me is out of the question. Wish I had had these earlier on in life.

Again, thank you all for your continued support and help. I wish all of you much success in getting your claims approved.

mssoup1

• Founder

OUTSTANDING - Hard Fought Well Won battle...take some r and r you both deserve it!

Well!!!!!!!!!! We finally made it after all this time. Got the brown envelope in the mail today. All remands from the BVA were approved. He was given IU back to 2001 and according to what was written under the Eligibility to Dependents Educational Assistance it stated "Basic eligibility for Dependents Education Assistance is granted because the evidence shows that from June 29, 2001 you have a total service-connected disability that is permanent in nature." I take this to mean he is IU/P & T.

I am so happy because we can now sit back and rest. It has been a lot of work and patience to get here. Thank you all so much for all of the help you have given me in fighting for my husband.

I won't forget Tbird when we get some money in the mail.

Again, thank you all so much for your patience with me and all the help you have given.

mssoup1

• Founder

Co-Payment Reimbursement

After receiving your service connection at 50% or above you can receive reimbursement for co-payments made from you initial service connection date. Take your award letter to your treating VA Medical Center go to Patients Affairs and ask them for the reimbursement.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Just to know that I am now not going to have to file another appeal has taken a great burden off of me. As everyone knows, filing an appeal requires a lot of work and then you have to sit back and wait again. I just hope that everyone elses claim on this board gets approved and can then jump for joy also.

Berta,

You mentioned ChampVA. The letter did state at the beginnning that I was probably eligible for ChampVA benefits. It explained what I needed to do to file. Stupid of me, but I never thought we would win the IU/P& T so I don't think I spent as much time reading up on things like ChampVA. You mentioned the fact that I could probably get back pay on out of pocket money I had spent on past bills, at least back to 2001. Thanks for adding this bit of information. I don't think I would have thought about this.

Even after you win your appeal, you still find that you need the help of those on this board. And they are always there to give you that lending hand.

If anyone else has any information concerning IU/P & T, then I would appreciate any help you could give.

Again, thanks to everyone for all of the information and help you have given me over time.

mssoup1