Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Crsc,retirement,va Disability

Rate this question

DS_Wells

Question

I have been retired for about 11 days now. I am 60% DOD and 100% VA and entitled to CRSC that application has been sent in. I need a straight answer as to what money I am going to get Money is more than tight. I was under the impression that I would get all my retirement and disability and CRSC. since I am 100% disabled. Please someone explain this to me. Thanks again.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The VA said they have sent my decision packet. Where do I get the waiver of military retirement pay with that packet or somewhere else? I have sent all my CRSC in all of my stuff is combat my retirement pay is just over 1500 and I am over 100% for VA. CRSC said they just need that waiver and I dont know how to get it.

Normally, the VA does this automaticly, at least they did it in my case. If you can get on mypay's web site you can get your monthly pay statement and it will show your VA waiver. I sent a copy of my retired pay stub showing the VA waiver with my CRSC app. Also, your CRSC pay will be based on your 60% retirement from the military, at least that is my understanding of it from what I have read about the medical retirement. I would check the website for the army CRSC application. I know it is quite complicated to figure out the amount you will get. You should check the VA's site as well to find out if you qualify for CDRP too. You cannot get CRSC and CDRP together you have to choose one or the other. CRSC is not taxable, CDRP is. DFAS will ask you which one you want. Also, if any of your disabilities do not qualify for CRSC they will not be included in your CRSC payment.

I do believe your correct after surfing and searching and working with this memory of mine I remember them telling me they will automatically give me the higher benefit unless I elect for some reson not to. And the waiver is in the application for VA benefits and compensation block 25 I believe so I didnt remember because this was quite some time ago that I did that form. And with CRSC that goes entirely off of any injuries that are combat related or combat training and all of mine are. The CRSC pay table matches the VA pay table but with me not having 20 yrs there is an offset which CRSC will partially replace. There is an equation they use to determine the amount you get and it can be tricky but I do know that it can not exceed your retirement amount. Thanks.

Ok.... becaue you have less than 20 years,... you cannot be awarded VA and military retirement (concurrent receipt).

Disability retirement can be awarded based on a percentage of disability or based on years of active duty. CRSC is based on Length ( years) of service. Sometimes, disability retirement is higher that it would be if it was awarded based on disability vers years of service. Since you did not indicate how many years of active service you had it is impossible for me to give an opinion on how much your CRSC would be.

You should read the information at the link provided below, it will explain how CRSC is awarded better than I can.

http://vets.yuku.com/forums/83/Combat-Related-Special-Compensation-CRSC

Expect to receive a check from the va for your 100% rating, and a check from your service branch for CRSC But keep in mind that CRSC will not exceed your actual retirement pay of $1500.00

For example:

In my case I am rated 100% , but my combat related disability is 60% plus a K award VA compensation at 60% is $1007, a K award is $99.00 a total of $1106.00. but my retirement is only $1070 a month so I only receive $1070 as CRSC. My retirement pay , was based on years of service since at the time I retired years of service netted me a higher retirement pay than retirement pay based on a percentage.

The 50% CRSC is 50% of your applicable retirement pay.

Sorry, but this statement is off base.

Some veterans can have a va rateing of 100% at $2769 a month.

The same veteran may only have a year or two of service with retirement based on 30% disability... this means the veteran would receive CRCS at a rate no higher than his actual retirement which with only a few years of service will be much less that $2769. In fact depending on years of service some medically retired veterans end up with no actual CRSC even if the va rating is considered combat related.

Thank you all. I have done the spreadsheet. I have served 6 years 7 months. The spreadsheet showed 1800 which is more than my retirement which is 1540.00. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!!100% va 60% dod va is actually over 100% and it is all combat related.