VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowance Time Again

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

I went to the Prosthetic Department at my local VA Medical Center as directed by letter I received. I took my damage clothes and was wearing my devices as I do daily. I was ask if I was wear my devices and I told them yes. He wrote on letter that I was wearing devices and said I will make you a copy to keep. I ask him don't you want to see my damage clothing, he said that's not necessary, I said yes it is and I pulled out every thing I brought with me and showed him. He then said ok, I make that copy now. I said first you need to annotate on the letter that you observed my damaged clothing, he said okay and wrote on it and said would you like a copy now and I said yes I would. Veterans, please make sure that they make note of all damage clothing otherwise they could deny you allowance just like they did last year with me. My appeal is still waiting a decision. I was receiving a clothing allowance for over ten years and when they changed to dual allowances I was denied one of them because they stated that it was not noted that I showed damaged clothing even though I did but because it was not noted it was denied so I only received one allowance.

Last year I got my clothing allowance in the middle of September, and that was after I called the VAMC prosthetics department and asked where it was. They said it was processed and I didn't have to do anything more. I wonder if I have to call them or request it again this year. It's suppose to be automatic but??? Any feedback from people in the know about the VAMC clothing allowance is appreciated? I don't deal with this so I have no idea if I should be applying annually of if they are suppose to track this. Thanks?

Edited by harleyman

Thanks iceturkee for the info. I will keep watch to see if my clothing allowance hits the bank or if I get a weird letter from the prosthetic department trying to justify a denial!.

Harleyman you should check with your prosthetic department because I heard there were changes made and you have to apply yearly for clothing allowances.

Last year I got my clothing allowance in the middle of September, and that was after I called the VAMC prosthetics department and asked where it was. They said it was processed and I didn't have to do anything more. I wonder if I have to call them or request it again this year. It's suppose to be automatic but??? Any feedback from people in the know about the VAMC clothing allowance is appreciated? I don't deal with this so I have no idea if I should be applying annually of if they are suppose to track this. Thanks?

this was my second year receiving clothing allowance. i'm thinking it was may when the va sent me the form and a letter instructing me to fill it out and submit to my prothestics department. according to the letter, the forms were due nlt august 1. but i got mine in late september last year and i know it was submitted after deadline.

Edited by iceturkee

• HadIt.com Elder

Wow, that was weird......just check'd my account and BAM, clothing allowance was there. Time to get some new boots for the ankle and new jeans for the legs.

Last year it did not come until the end of August.....got both VA deposits the same day, must be on the ball this year.