VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Queston About Siezure Disorder

Rate this question

loner62quiet

Question

I received a TBI in March of 1966 was in the hospital two days and had a Grand Mal seizure. I was put through all of the tests available at that time. I was sent to nuero ward in Germany and retested all the same tests and a few more. I was released from hospital with a med. profile that basically said I could do nothing. The tests never `showed a problem, but the seizures continued. I have had headaches and a few other problems since discharge in 1968. Do you think I have a claim?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you have never filed a VA claim before, it would be good to get a copy of your SMRs and subsequent private medical records.

Also ask for a copy of your 201 (Personnel file)
NARA on line is where you can request those records.

"was released from hospital with a med. profile that basically said I could do nothing" Could you elaborate? I mean, you did continue Active duty???until 1968?

Was that a Military med board discharge?

Do you have proof that the TBI occurred? Was a concussion documented?

TBI testing in the 1960s is nothing like it is today.

If you have had continuous seizures and treatment for them since service. would your private doc (if you arent a VA PT, be willing to give an opinion that the seizures stem from the TBI that caused the Grand Mal seizure ?

We have info in our IMO forum on that as to how the opinion should be worded.

This post here might help you:

More info is in our TBI forum.

Are there any other disabilities you have that might be service connectable?

Were you in incountry ,Vietnam in the 1960s?

Edited by Berta

There is no question the seizures are caused by the brain injury I spent a total of three months in different Army hospitals. They were trying to figure out the cause of the seizures and all the testing was aimed at a brain injury. The profile that I had basically stated that I could not drive carry a weapon wear a gas mask or wear a steel pot. This was a little hard as I was a heavy equip. operator. After all of this I was shipped back to the states to a company that was building for ship to Nam. I trained these people on a lot of diff. machines and I was not shipped with them. Once I got back to the states I went on sick call and spoke to a so called doctor I wanted to get treatment for the seizures and the headaches I was given Darvon and no med for the seizures. I asked this doc if you are not going to give me med for the seizures drop the profile which he would not do.

I was in a car accident and exited through the windshield striking the dashboard on the way out. I had a broken jaw and minor cut to the scalp. The accident happened around mid night and I woke up in a dentist chair around 9:00 am the next morning. They wired my mouth shut and I was put on a ward in the hospital. I ha d my first seizure the second night I was in the hospital. Then all fun began all the tests they could perform were done and six weeks later I was discharged from the hospital after more seizures. Returned to my unit and was shipped to a hospital in Germany for more testing EEG and every test they could come up with. All of this should be documented in my med. records

I was discharged on my regular ets date in 1968 Not a med discharge.

I became a drifter for many years and have avoided doctors as much as I can, have had seizures since discharge, but ride them out on my own.

I am a loner as being around a lot of people make me nervous. I worked as a bodyman for years as it is a profession that allows you to work on your own. This is another reason that I avoided doctors in most states if you have a seizure it is a 6 month suspension of your lic. and I could not afford that.

I have been very lucky as I have never been injured during a seizure. And have never been taken to hospital for one.

I am retired now and have been doing a lot of thinking about this problem and how I was treated by the military after my accident. now I believe it is time for them to step up and help me out

Berta is on the money bud. Sorry to hear about your health. I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago with Micro Seizures apparently while I sleep, and now I am on Meds. I too down the road I guess will submit a claim. God Bless and keep us posted.

You have to remember I was discharged in the 60,s at that time there were no discharge physicals no info on how to file a claim or any other benefits talked about. All I wanted at that time was to get as far away from the Army as I could get. I still have a major problem understanding why I wasn't put out on a medical.

Perhaps something in the following reg might be helpful - I doubt it, but perhaps.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=89f188ce6d9707db2078d6288dc5e0b3&node=38:1.0.1.1.4.1.60.66&rgn=div8

§3.157 Report of examination or hospitalization as claim for increase or to reopen.

(a) General.

Effective date of pension or compensation benefits, if otherwise in order, will be the date of receipt of a claim or the date when entitlement arose, whichever is the later.

A report of examination or hospitalization which meets the requirements of this section will be accepted as an informal claim for benefits under an existing law or for benefits under a liberalizing law or Department of Veterans Affairs issue, if the report relates to a disability which may establish entitlement.

Acceptance of a report of examination or treatment as a claim for increase or to reopen is subject to the requirements of §3.114 with respect to action on Department of Veterans Affairs initiative or at the request of the claimant and the payment of retroactive benefits from the date of the report or for a period of 1 year prior to the date of receipt of the report.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 5110(a))

(b) Claim.

Once a formal claim for pension or compensation has been allowed or a formal claim for compensation disallowed for the reason that the service-connected disability is not compensable in degree, receipt of one of the following will be accepted as an informal claim for increased benefits or an informal claim to reopen.

In addition, receipt of one of the following will be accepted as an informal claim in the case of a retired member of a uniformed service whose formal claim for pension or compensation has been disallowed because of receipt of retirement pay.

The evidence listed will also be accepted as an informal claim for pension previously denied for the reason the disability was not permanently and totally disabling.

(1) Report of examination or hospitalization by Department of Veterans Affairs or uniformed services.

The date of outpatient or hospital examination or date of admission to a VA or uniformed services hospital will be accepted as the date of receipt of a claim. The date of a uniformed service examination which is the basis for granting severance pay to a former member of the Armed Forces on the temporary disability retired list will be accepted as the date of receipt of claim.

The date of admission to a non-VA hospital where a veteran was maintained at VA expense will be accepted as the date of receipt of a claim, if VA maintenance was previously authorized; but if VA maintenance was authorized subsequent to admission, the date VA received notice of admission will be accepted.

The provisions of this paragraph apply only when such reports relate to examination or treatment of a disability for which service-connection has previously been established or when a claim specifying the benefit sought is received within one year from the date of such examination, treatment or hospital admission.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501)

(2) Evidence from a private physician or layman. The date of receipt of such evidence will be accepted when the evidence furnished by or in behalf of the claimant is within the competence of the physician or lay person and shows the reasonable probability of entitlement to benefits.

(3) State and other institutions. When submitted by or on behalf of the veteran and entitlement is shown, date of receipt by the Department of Veterans Affairs of examination reports, clinical records, and transcripts of records will be accepted as the date of receipt of a claim if received from State, county, municipal, recognized private institutions, or other Government hospitals (except those described in paragraph (b)(1) of this section). These records must be authenticated by an appropriate official of the institution. Benefits will be granted if the records are adequate for rating purposes; otherwise findings will be verified by official examination. Reports received from private institutions not listed by the American Hospital Association must be certified by the Chief Medical Officer of the Department of Veterans Affairs or physician designee.

[26 FR 1571, Feb. 24, 1961, as amended at 27 FR 4421, May 9, 1962; 31 FR 12055, Sept. 15, 1966; 40 FR 56434, Dec. 3, 1975; 52 FR 27340, July 21, 1987; 60 FR 27409, May 24, 1995]