Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus

Rate this question

cuzeyecan

Question

Hello,

I recently applied for and increase and went from 20% to 50% but was denied again for Tinnitus. My entire career (21 yrs) I worked around aircraft out on the flight line.

Tinnitus hasn't even been SC. I completed my NOD paperwork and submitted it early January and just recently attached a buddy statement to this claim. I even had a letter from an Audiologist when I applied for the initial increase. Any suggestions?

Did the VA apply this Fast letter to your claim?

http://community.hadit.com/topic/64098-va-fast-lettermos-list-hearing-loss-tinnitus/

If they did and still denied, can you scan and attach their reasons and bases (and Evidence list) for the denial ? (cover C file prior to scanning it.)

We need to see how they handled the Audiologists report ( if they even read it)

• HadIt.com Elder

Beings there are no current testing for tinnitus, the veteran needs to let the audiologist know about the ringing in  your head/ears...of  what the sounds sound like to you, theres vets that say they have this awful ringing in the ears and some say it sounds like a hi-wire hum  and crickets and frogs siting  on a creek bank    what ever the sound is like describe that sound or what you think it sounds like...the audiologist will or should say you have tinnitus!

you have to tell them this sounds is about to drive you batty.

.jmo

................Buck

I'm still waiting for my C&P results from Jan. 2016. I did exactly what Buck stated and I was also denied SC for Tinnitus.

I worked in a fighter engine shop at the end of the runway where the aircraft launched directly over head plus I also worked on cargo aircraft on the flight line. Will be including this with my NOD filing in a few months.

• HadIt.com Elder

You may need to go to a private audiologist and take  your VA medical records str's and let the Dr read up on them and have the Doc to go by VA criteria and the Maryland CNC word test.

Just be honest and let them know why your there  be up front with them.

you can ask your VA audiologist Dept for a CD of the Maryland word test they use & request there hearing criteria also or you can ask the private audiologist to call the VA And ask..they have to give it to you  and maybe a small fee for the CD.

Keep in mind Not all Docs will do this but some will you just have to check around  and usually let them know there fee is no problem.

A ENT Doc is best for this/use his Audiologist. 

OR you can find the hearing test  criteria for VA here on hadit

print it off and take to the private Audiologist , Then while your there tell them about the ringing in your head/ears...and how it effects your life.

you can get notarized statements from family and friends to attest to your hearing problem.

this all can be used as new and material evidence.

Be sure and ask the Dr if he/she can state I have read his prior medical records & his  hearing loss in his/her opinion was/is caused from his prior military service as at least likely as as not'' from the loud noise he reports of loud daily noise from the flight line he worked on while in the military and his MOS is?

you have noise induced bilateral hearing loss which occurs over time from your ears being around loud noise while in military  and this veteran states he has not been around loud noise before or after his military service  veteran states that he does not hunt or fish.

This is the Audiologist Impression and he/she is not labial to the VA or any Federal Dept.

this usually cost extra but well worth the $$

jmo

..................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

USAF-VET

I'm only guessing but it sounds like to me your Audiologist didn't believe you about the tinnitus.

&usually tinnitus is for both ears at 10%  that's 5% for each ear...I think because they can't tell if it's just one ear or not? but the VA has them to rate both ears at 10%