Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Beginning the Fight

Rate this question

Ej Towler

Question

Hello All, 

Thanks for your service. I filed my intent to file a claim for PTSD MST. I have the diagnosis but am confused about the Nexus letter. I will not give a great detail because it sometimes triggers unwanted responses. If the mental (depression, anxiety) for example caused stroke like events. I will need a nexus letter from both the physician and my counselor (psychiatrist) is that correct.  Is there a way to get example of these letters as my care providers are not "military knowledgeable"  and fear they might be put in the middle of a lawsuit. Second questions if any one is in Hampton Roads Virginia do you have the name of a psychiatrist who is military informed I could change to. I have applied to the VA for care benefits but am still waiting for a response. Thanks to anyone for your help. EJ

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

IT doesn't have to be from both, though that wouldn't hurt. It also doesn't have to be in a 'format'. Sometimes, like me, it was contained throughout my diagnosis and treatment notes what was caused by what. Basically you just need the doc to say "A is at least as likely as not....caused by B, because............1......2.......3....." Whatever their medical rationale is. "Is caused by", "Is likely caused by....", and "is at least as likely as not caused by......" are phrases that line up with what the raters have in front of them in the regulations for rating conditions, so obviously if the applicable wording is in place it helps. Its not a requirement, none of mine has that specific of wording, but then my regional office isn't 200,000 claims backed up so they usually do a pretty good job of rating claims. Im not in a high population area, though, like Texas, California, Florida, or somewhere on the East coast. 

This past hadit post contains excellent info on PTSD MST claims:

http://www.hadit.com/how-to-win-a-military-sexual-trauma-claim-2/