VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Confused

Rate this question

papahotel58

Question

Good evening,

I received a letter from the DAV Friday July 8th

It stated "This letter is not intended to serve as your official notification from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)."

I have been 90% for a year and I applied for IU and was denied after I lost my job July 2015 and haven't been able to work since.

It goes on to say:

The DAV has reviewed the most recent VA decision concerning your claim for benefits.

A combined evaluation of 100 percent plus entitlement to benefits at the 100 percent rate due to

individual unemployment has been assigned as a result  of the following actions,

IU granted July 11, 2015 to March 8, 2016... so its been back dated to when I first applied and was denied .... so Back PAY may be possible? I hope.

My DAV rep told me over the phone that after March 8th I will be at  the regular 100 percent rate " did not mentioning any P&T " what is regular 100%?

and it goes on to show increases from all SC issues.

50% PTSD

50% MIGRAINES

50% SLEEP APN

20% NECK L

20% NECK R

20% BACK

10% TINNITUS

10% SHOULDER L

My questions are;

1. How accurate are these DAV letters?

2. Is the letter from the DAV any indication that a VA award letter is any closer to reaching my mail box within the next month?

3. Estimate on how long before I see any back pay or Raise in my current 90% disability pay. if they are going back to July of 2015 it should be in the ball park of 14K + I'm figuring,

Thank you all for your help, its been a real struggle but hopefully things will be easier to manage finically and reduce some of the stress on my wife and myself as I continue to battle my own

demons.

v/r

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

What type of NOD did you file, DRO Review? The DAV might be notified of DRO Decision, it's great they updated you.

If you haven't done so, a couple things you may want to consider. 1st, go on-line to your Direct Deposit Bank/CU account Notifications, be sure your set up to receive Txt  Email notifications of all transactions. It's been my experience with Retro Awards over the past 8 yrs, the Retro hits my account usually 3 - 4 weeks before the actual VA Award Letter Arrives.

2nd thing, go on your E-Ben site, check for current Verification of Comp Benefit letters. I still can't believe it but my Bump from 90% IU to 100% scheduler w/SMC S (1) Awarded mid 12/15, was on my E-Ben 01/03/2016. Now that's WARP SPEED, right.

If you find the a New Comp Letter indicating your New IU Award, print a copy of it for your City Property Tax Department. That Award Letter can be used to claim Your State's 100% DAV or IU Vets Property Tax Exemption. Depending on your State, you might be able to get a refund for 2016 Property Taxes, already paid.

You might want to review a CHAMPVA Application for your wife, I think mine got RX Copays covered at least, back to the Award Date. Take your E-Ben letter to your VMC Dental Dept., your now eligible for Dental Services, make you 1st appointment.

Your 90% & IU, what condition & SC % was the IU Awarded on? I see a possible SMC S (1) "House Bound" Award. Depending on your family status, Vet & wife, would add about $345.00 to your 100% Comp Amount.

As to "Total & Permanent," don't count on it. Of your above listed SC's, only the SA could be considered T & P, all the other conditions could be expected to improve with time and treatment, at least from the VA's point of view.

Semper Fi

Just take the DAV letter with a grain of salt, and wait for the real letter.  The VSO letters are usually accurate, but the va can change their mind before they send your letter.  Its just not productive to go into a discussion of what the vso was thinking, as it does not matter anyway..