VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

ILP Begining

Rate this question

dsgsr

Question

Well, Had my first appt. with the counselor David Young at Togus. Asked for a Wood working Shop. Young stated that the VA does not build buildings. This counselor is in the wrong business,  he should have been a used car salesman. He is lacking in social skills. He gave me a pile of paperwork to bring home and fill out.

David

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Not unusual. In the way back, maybe pre 2010, all kinds of great things were provided by the IL Dept. Check out what Ask NOD recently got Awarded on Appeal. Big Axx Greenhouse!

Alas, that is no more. I'm on my 2nd run at the IL dept, 1st was in mid 14 and just recently had 1st appointment for 02/16  IL filing. The Voc Rehab Councilor, who is also the IL Program Councilor, spent just about the entire session telling me what the IL Program couldn't provide. Not too much about what it could provide.

Will just have to see how this pans out. You may have to be somewhat circumspect in what your trying to get. It's not advisable to alienate the IL Councilor, in the very beginning, I did that back in 14.

Semper Fi

In my heyday, if someone told me I couldn't get there from here, I took that as a personal challenge that demanded that I try to prove them wrong. That's exactly how I got my computer and greenhouse on appeal. I read here often that a VRC said "Ain't gonna happen". Do you believe that? You're talking to a gomer GS-11 with no authority. They are spouting the party line and M28 R. 

Let me explain. M28 is a manual-not a rulebook. It is a guide on how to interpret Chapter 21, 38 CFR. The law was laid down by Congress in 1982 in 38 USC 3120. There are 2,700 souls who are extremely disabled who entitled to ILP services every year. There is no limit on how many ILP you can have in a lifetime. Congress did not rule out greenhouses, woodworking shops or riding lawnmowers-VA's VR&E did-with no authority, I might add. This is a decision to curtail "freebies" to us that they think we do not deserve. You will find no law that says we are forbidden to get anything avocational. If you just roll over and accept what they say, you become another victim. 

When they told me I was never going to get a computer to use for Asknod.org, I filed an administrative appeal. Six months later, I had a state-of-the-art Dell with all the bells and whistles and a teacher for 2 months. I call this the Win or Die technique. Never give up. Eventually, they have to deal with you or they have to go to the BVA/ CAVC and explain to them why you don't get a woodworking shop. Sorry. The M 28 does not trump the BVA  or the CAVC judge. I've proved that in spades.

Follow the Yellow Brick Road.This isn't rocket science. Never accept no for an answer. ILP laws and regs were written to help us-not hinder. 

https://asknod.org/category/independent-living-program/

Thank you Asknod, This type of Information and support will help me (my wife) fight these asses and make case law that other veterans' can follow. If they won't adhere to the law, we can shove it down they're throats.

David