VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Questions regarding PTSD Claim

Rate this question

armyvet89

Question

Thanks folks. I was diagnosed with PTSD by a VA physiologist in 2011. I put in a claim for that and my knee the same year. I no showed to the C&Ps and was denied. Skip to the beginning of 2012 I ended up having to do some inpatient treatment for substance abuse and ptsd. I was reevaluated there and then again confirmed the diagnoses. The first diagnosis was under DSM-IV criteria and just 2 months ago i went back to the doc and we confirmed the diagnosis using the new DSM-V criteria. I resubmitted a claim for ptsd and my knee this June. I had a c&p where the doc did not diagnose me with ptsd but said i showed with depression anxiety and something about borderline personality disorder. My question is what are my chances of getting service connection for ptsd anyway? i mean ive seen my doc for pretty much the last 5 years and have been treated for ptsd ever since. i dont understand how a doc that has seen me 1 time for not even an hour can say that he cant confirm nor deny a diagnosis because of "substance abuse and i need 6-12 months of not drinking before a solid diagnosis can be given". will the rater take into consideration all of the documentation? how much weight does the c&p have compared to 5 years of documentation? im losing my mind here. i keep watching ebennies like its gonna change and show me something positive.

Id like to add that i have found out that this C&P doc works for or used to work for a company that tries to disprove SSD claims. Not sure why the VA would use him...

I will add this. I claimed sleep apnea secondary to ptsd and despite his not diagnosing me with ptsd he did write up a solid nexus for me (i believe it to be solid). Not sure why he would go to the trouble of doing this if he doesnt feel i have ptsd.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

The PTSD Forensic C & P Dr is required to be a Psychiatrist or Psychologist PhD, VA or contract Dr. The C & P exam is now based on the DSM V criteria. GAF's are no longer a significant rating component.  Keep in mind, prior PCP or Psychiatrist/Psychologist's non Forensic DX of PTSD is Trumped by the C & P Psychiatrist/Psychologist PHD's Forensic DX.

The C & P Dr opined regarding Depression & Borderline Personality disorder, if Evidence of Record is currently in your C-File, a possible SC for either of those MH conditions is possible.

As to your existing SA DX being SC'd Secondary to a PTSD DX, which you don't currently have, chances are slim & None.

Per a Hadit posting this am, recent C & P Dr posted in the Vet's DBQ current Medical/ Scientific Articles indicating that PTSD doesn't cause SA, it's actually the other way around, SC SA can result in a Secondary SC for PTSD.

Very Interesting! There are a great number of Elderly and not so Elderly SC PTSD Vets that have filed claims for recently DX SA as Secondary to their long standing PTSD SC's. This "New" SA research could be very problematic for their SA Secondary claims.

Semper Fi

What does "non forensic DX of ptsd" mean? What I am saying is that the dx did NOT come from the c&p doc but rather my va psychologist. Make sense? im just trying to see if theres a chance with that info. Im pretty confused. I know the ptsd dx is required by a va doc per regs but just dont know that a diagnosis prior to the non favorable c&p would help.

Treating MH Dept Psychiatrists/Psychologists PHD, private or VMC, specialize in establishing a rap ore with their patient. Their interviews are non adversarial in nature, very difficult to successfully treat a MH Patient that you've pi$$ed off.

The PTSD C & P should be considered as an Adversarial PTSD Interview, which will make or break your Claim. The C & P Dr is tasked with verifying the veracity of your reported PTSD Symptoms. These Drs are not concerned with treating your MH Conditions, just verifying their actual existence and to what degree, they are disabling.

If the C & P Dr concludes your over-reporting symptoms or that other answers to specific questions (sometimes asked 2 or 3 different ways) doesn't comport with accepted PTSD DXing standards, a negative DBQ will be completed.

Wouldn't hurt to review the PTSD DBQ and Current VA Clinician Best Practises for completing the Rating Dept Requested DBQ.

Semper Fi