VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied SSDI for lack of points

Rate this question

Lee2464

Question

IN 2006, I was rated T&P 100% service connected UA.  Because of this rating I was unable to work.  Just recently I learned that since I was T&P 100% I could and should apply for SS disability.  I went to the SSA home page and it stated I was not eligible for SSDI since I did not have 30 points ( of which 20 must be earned within the last 5 years).  How can the SSA expect me to work when the VA does not allow me to work.  Has anyone else faced this issue?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

You are pretty much stuck applying for SSI if you meet the income requirements but at 100% VA im pretty sure you don't. From what I have read they don't budge on the work credits thing. Ive heard of people without enough credits applying and getting denied, but then re-applying if their spouse has enough work credits for spousal benefits but I don't know how that works. As always, probably better to talk to a lawyer about it, the consult is free. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

You need 40 quarters (10 years) to get SSI when you retire.  You need to have worked within the last 5 years to get SSDI.

I don't think you can get around those two rules.

You do not need to work for 10 years to get SSDI.  An example would be when you get/got hurt right after you got into the work force.

The Social Security system, both SSI and SSDI are like the VA compensation system.  No one knows about them until it is too late some/most of the time.

Both, should be taught in High School.  You start working at that time and you have to sign up for selective service.  Would not hurt to know the rules before the game starts.

Not too many people know that you have had to have worked in the past 5 years to get SSDI.  Just think how many persons toughed it out for 6-10 years and finally gave up and went to get thier SSDI only to find out they were a day short.

Anyway, my rant for the day,

Hope you find some good news,

Hamslice

actually you can still apply... As long as you can prove that your disability began when you still qualified point wise.. you will not get retro back to that date.  I had to go through the same hoops... When i applied back in 2013 i had to prove that my disabilities began prior to 2009  when i had enough points with my last date of employment being 2005. i am not saying you will get a immediate approval and might need to appeal it but that rules say its in your favor if you had the points..