VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD and Federal Law Enforcement

Rate this question

bigGUNs82

Question

Hi, brand new member here.

I have recently been honorably discharged from the military and have applied to several federal law enforcement agencies.

I am VA disabled for PTSD. Will this disqualify me from federal LE service? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I completed my degree in Criminology 12/2016, so this is a topic I am familiar with;

This is the most recent link I could locate relevant to your question (2014).   When I did "google" the question, a variety of links came up so there is information that applies, just not a direct answer because each state is different. 

Good Luck

http://www.policemag.com/channel/careers-training/articles/2014/01/military-vets-joining-law-enforcement.aspx

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I would think if you never had any indictments or charges brought up because of your PTSD they would give you a chance  and especially if you have  Criminal Justice Degree. or Experience in Law Enforcement?

Many Many Law Enforcement Officers have a diagnose of PTSD...It happens to some when faced with trauma event or events  in this field of occupation.

One of our members is a long time  Federal Marshall (Retired) georgiapapa I believe. 

Thanks Buck. I just have anxiety sometimes and get apprehensive around big crowds in open spaces and heights (when i can see the ground). I have nightmares about the sandbox sometimes and i lose sleep over it. But I've never acted out or freaked out. How might I contact georgia papa? (totally new to this site).

1 hour ago, L said:

I completed my degree in Criminology 12/2016, so this is a topic I am familiar with;

This is the most recent link I could locate relevant to your question (2014).   When I did "google" the question, a variety of links came up so there is information that applies, just not a direct answer because each state is different. 

Good Luck

http://www.policemag.com/channel/careers-training/articles/2014/01/military-vets-joining-law-enforcement.aspx

Thanks L. Ill give it a good read.

• HadIt.com Elder

Georgiapapa is not on hadit that much anymore  he lost his mom and his wife lost her mom about the Week apart or so  not to long ago., a double blow to the family & Georgiapapa has been busy with estates  and family matters.

he comes on hadit  to read up on the post  ever now and then, but you can PM him  he will get back to you.   He is an exceptionally Nice decent Man. 

Edited by Buck52

On 3/28/2017 at 5:39 PM, Buck52 said:

Georgiapapa is not on hadit that much anymore  he lost his mom and his wife lost her mom about the Week apart or so  not to long ago., a double blow to the family & Georgiapapa has been busy with estates  and family matters.

he comes on hadit  to read up on the post  ever now and then, but you can PM him  he will get back to you.   He is an exceptionally Nice decent Man. 

Ok, I sent him a PM. Thanks again

Not only is every state different, but each county will have at least two different departments, sometimes many more.  I am a cop in a small town in the sticks.  I'm 80% (none of it mental health), and know one knows or asks.  My chief knows that I have a VA disability but does not know any of my specifics.  I was 60% when I applied and it was not on any of the applications, etc.  I even went to the police academy at 60%.  I have lived here all my life and maybe that had a lot to do with it.  The town asked me to go to the academy after I got out of the Army and then hired me.  So, theres that.

My suggestion would be not to lie, as that is a sure fire way out the door as a cop, but to only answer truthfully any questions they ask., to include PTSD etc.  I doubt that that is a question they would ask.  A lot of LE jobs require a PT test to get hired.  This test is a lot easier than the military (Army) pt test.  1.5 miles in 15 minutes etc.  Anyway, I passed it at 48 years of age, however, I would not be able to pass it now.  But dont have too.  LOL..

Hope this helps and good luck,

Hamslice