VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Zocor (simvastatin)

Rate this topic

The VA PC doctor prescribed Zocor for me. I have never required any medication for lowering my cholesterol and have not had high cholesterol until now. I am 57 and my last blood draw my cholesterol jumped up to 236, 41 HDL, 166 LDL, and 147 TRI. The problem is the LDL, +160 is considered high while 130 is considered the normal.

Those here that have taken or are taking Zocor, I'd like to know the side effects you have experienced. I am hesitant to take any statin drug. I am normally lazy during the winter and just a little less lazy during the spring and summer. I fail at keeping up a regular exercise program such as taking a walk around the block......for some reason I end up on my Harley and the day is gone! LOL I purchased a complete Bowflex Extreme fitness machine in July of '04 and it is still in the boxes it came in, unopened. Either the Harley or the guitar playing seemed to take over and I haven't even gotten around to setting it up.

Anyway, I have been prescribed Zocor 20 mg, but am supposed to split the pills and take only a half of a pill at bedtime once a day. So I guess I would be taking only 10 mg dose at a time and some folks have considered 10 mg a very low dose. I know if I could just force myself to do a little exercise and do it faithfully every day, the LDL would drop I am certain, but I am the problem I know.

All the news I've heard about statins causing permanent weakness of the muscles, lethargy, and changes in personality, etc. I don't know what to think. So for me, I'd like to hear from other vets that are taking this drug.

Semper Fi!

RockyA

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Rocky,

Sorry to hear your blood fat #'s have gone haywire. The most serious problem with any of the statins seems to be severe muscle aches, usually in the larger muscles, particularly legs. These can be very painful and develop into significant problems so you will want to stop the med and talk to the Dr if these develop. Also early on you should have liver tests (say after a month of seemingly benign use) to make sure your liver enzymes arent out of whack.

Dont know of the other side effects you mentioned but the statins are getting more and more favorable press and even being prescribed to people without bad lipids for heart protection. Good luck and by the way that is a smaller dosage

• HadIt.com Elder

Rocky:

Zorcor works for me and I have been taking 20 mg a day for over 6 years. My LDL is a little low 32 but overall 149 is not bad at all. The most common problem for some is weakness in muscles and you need to have blood work at least every four months to make sure not damaging liver.

I recommend it and 10 mg is a very low dose as most start with 20mg and I know quite a few who take 40mg.

So if you wnat my opinion I think your Doc is looking out for you.

Rocky- my neighbor, a WWII vet, developed a terrible limp after taking Simvastin-

The VA doc asked him if he was of Mid Eastern descent, he said no- are you Hispanic, he said no-

then the doctor asked what his ethnic background was- full bloodied Cherokee on his mother's side-

that was the reason for the limp-

The VA withdrew this med and prescribed another-

certain ethnic groups have reactions to meds and Simvastin is one of the meds that the VA has to be careful of giving out. The VA is supposed to ask your ethnic background before prescribing Vimstatin and maybe other statins too.

He is still limping a little but not as bad as before. He needed a cane it was so bad.

The VA is supposed to send side affect info with their meds or to out it in the med bag-

I think it is good idea to go to a medication site like Merck or the PDR (Physicians Drug Reference)

and check out if the meds match the pictures (PDR) and what the side affects are as well as contraindications-

some stuff cannot be taken with other meds.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rocky

I have been taking Zocor for a couple of years 40MG and the only effect has been a dramatic lowering of my cholesterol levels. It was hitting 270 and now is about 150 Total. Maybe 40 years from now our livers will turn to concrete but by then I will be dead and not worried.

I was on Zocor for about six months. I did get the aching muscles (hips and legs) and as far as other side effects, man I am tired all the time so I can't say that was the Zocor. I had blood tests run at the six month period and Doc pulled me off of it immediately. Whatever test it is that says your liver is getting messed up, well that showed positive for me. Since then I have been on Zentia, (four months) but my Cholesteral is still up around 235. Best of luck