VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Combined Rating And Tbi

Rate this question

Sailorman

Question

Greetings everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew that if under the new TBI schedule of rating if this new criteria would be combined with other disabilities? I am scheduled for my TBI exam this coming Friday which ties into my appeal dated by to 1996. I requested an evaluation under the new criteria. Also, is their anyone out there that has been granted an increase?

Sailorman

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for your responses,

Let me rephrase my question. Will the new TBI rating be combined with any other rating not related to TBI? The previous criterion was not combined with any other rating because it was tied to a brain disease.

Last thing; is a good idea to give the physician a print-out of all my symptoms at the c&p examination? I am thinking on drafting a list of my symptoms and making the physician sign for it during the exam. This way I will not forget to tell the doctor anything about my disability and by them signing for it I will have proof that the examiner was informed of my symptoms. What do you all think?

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you can't make the doctor sign for this and it may upset him. He may think you are trying to get over. You could print out your symptoms and tell him you did this just to refer to because you have a bad memory. You don't want things to look too prepared or he may think you got it out of a book. You want the doctor to believe he has discovered all these symptoms via his outstanding talents.

Thanks for your responses,

Let me rephrase my question. Will the new TBI rating be combined with any other rating not related to TBI? The previous criterion was not combined with any other rating because it was tied to a brain disease.

Last thing; is a good idea to give the physician a print-out of all my symptoms at the c&p examination? I am thinking on drafting a list of my symptoms and making the physician sign for it during the exam. This way I will not forget to tell the doctor anything about my disability and by them signing for it I will have proof that the examiner was informed of my symptoms. What do you all think?

Again, the answer is yes.

Actually, the previous criteria stated this "This 10 percent rating will not be combined with any

other rating for a disability due to brain trauma."

The 10% rating could be combined with other ratings not related to TBI under the old ratings. Just not combined with other ratings for TBI such as Dementia or paralysis. With the new criteria, the ratings can be combined whether they are from TBI or any other unrelated disability as long as symptoms do not overlap.

It may be helpfull to take a list of symptoms. The new C&P for TBI can be fairly thorough if done correctly.

Have you had neuro-psych testing? If not, it is unlikely to get higher than 40% under the new criteria. Impossible to get higher than 40% in some facets without testing.

I went to the C&P exam as scheduled. I already received a copy of the exam report. The test diagnostics were:

Headaches, the chronic daily headaches are related to tension or depression.

The second kind of headaches sounds more like a migraininous kind of headaches.

C- The headaches are at least likely as not likely 50/50 probability caused by or as a result of head trauma.

These migraines were also listed as a severe type.

Neuropsych testing is pending.

Also, I provide the doctor the list of symptoms and she said tat list was very helpful and that she wishes all veteran followed that practice.