VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Life Insurance While Waiting For Dic

MikeS

Question

Hi all:

I am T&P for PTSD for 8 yrs now.

I am 58.

Would a private life insurance company insure me even though I have PTSD?

I ask this because I am concerned about the time that it will take for my wife's DIC claim to be approved.

Thank you,

Mike S.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Hello Mike. Did you hear what I typed. IF you are TDIU P&T, then you are entitled to $10k worth of life insurance at no cost to you, and another $20k for, like, around $80 a month. Whether you have waited too long to apply for this insurance, that I'm not sure of, and, I'm to busy to look it up.........but, then, you can do that, right?

Hi LarryJ:

There is a 1year time limit. I missed it.

Thanks,

MikeS

What kind of insurance are you guys talking about?

Reason I ask it that in the link I posted it says this:

"Note: An increase in an existing service-connected disability or the granting of individual unemployability of a previous rated condition does not entitle a veteran to this insurance."

It was for SVDI.

I am glad to be corrected if there is something available for TDIU vets.

• HadIt.com Elder

What kind of insurance are you guys talking about?

Reason I ask it that in the link I posted it says this:

"Note: An increase in an existing service-connected disability or the granting of individual unemployability of a previous rated condition does not entitle a veteran to this insurance."

It was for SVDI.

I am glad to be corrected if there is something available for TDIU vets.

About SDVI RH Insurance

From VA Pamphlet #29-9 "Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance RH Information and Premium Rates":

Who May Apply for RH Insurance

You may apply for RH Insurance if you meet the following 4 criteria:

1. You were released from active service on or after April 25, 1951.

2. You were released under other than dishonorable conditions.

3. You have a service-connected disability.

4. You apply within 2 years from the date VA grants your new service-connected disability.

You must also send one monthly premium with your application, unless you plan on paying premiums by deduction from VA compensation benefits or alloment from your service pay.

You must be in good health, except for your service-connected disability(ies). You may qualify for this coverage even if you have been rejected for insurance by a commercial company or were offered a policy at high premiums because of your service-connected disability(ies).

Waiver of Premiums

We will waive your premiums if you become totally disabled from any condition before your 65th birthday and remain totally disabled for 6 or more consecutive months. This means that you will not have to pay premiums as long as you remain totally disabled. Please note that you can apply for waiver EVEN IF your disability began BEFORE you apply for RH Insurance.

IT IS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE TO APPLY FOR WAIVER, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO WORK DUE TO YOUR DISABILITY. The percentage of your disability does not determine if we will approve your application.

Supplemental RH Insurance

Supplemental RH Insurance is insurance you may be able to purchase in addition to your new or present RH policy. To be eligible for this supplemental insurance, you must meet ALL of these requirements:

1. Have an RH policy.

2. Be under age 65.

3. Meet the requirements for TOTAL DISABILITY.

4. Apply for this additional insurance within one year from the date you were notified that you meet the TOTAL DISABILITY requirements. (The date on your waiver notification letter from VA's Insurance Office.)

So, yes, if you are TDIU then this SDVI RH life insurance is for you.

LarryJ

Hi I am interesting in finding out about the free $10,000 of insurance if a veteran is rated 100% TDIU PT. I called the VA several months ago and was told that he did not have any insurance. But if it was free and he qualified how would I find out?

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi I am interesting in finding out about the free $10,000 of insurance if a veteran is rated 100% TDIU PT. I called the VA several months ago and was told that he did not have any insurance. But if it was free and he qualified how would I find out?

Well, just because "he" is TDIU P&T does not mean that he automatically HAS the insurance.......he has to apply for it. The VA should have sent a little "package" after he was rated TDIU, explaining/containing this stuff.

You can get on the VA.gov website and send an inquiry (IRIS inquiry) requesting information on signing up for the SDVI RH Insurance. BUT, bear in mind, there is that TIME LIMIT, so you best get crackin'!