VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Topiramate

Rate this topic

Thank you for reading this and the hadit.com elders for keeping the site going and respectful.

I am writing this in hopes that my experience can help another looking for some info and it helps me express myself.

I am not a Medical professional and my case is unique as all our bodies will behave differently.

I am weeing myself off Topiramate. It was given to me for my pain- many lower herniated discs, neuropathy, nerve damage, severe pain in lower body parts also from the 200 stitches 40 staples and artificial skin. Per my Doc's guidance and a nurses daily phone calls, I am on a guided fasttrack off since I am having BAD side effects- BAD memory short/long term, lothargic, no drive to do anything, slow reaction speed, hard to spell, depressed(on top of PTSD), have failed every test the last 2 semesters in college (Voc Rehab), but before taking this med I had a 3.5 GPA.

Just wanted to put this out there for others.

It did and still does help with the pain but I can't do anything with my brain. I may have to go back on if/when I get off the pain attacks get severe again.

I had tried Gabapentum but stopped in 2 weeks- had nightmares and BAD emotional thoughts!

So now Oxycodone and Methocarbomol (Robaxin) for the pain- it's not perfect but helps. I need to do more meditation, some light exercise and eat healthier which will all help.

For those in pain I hope and pray for you that you find some reilef and what I have said hopefully will help one of you Vets out there.

I hope you all get some rest tonight fellow veterans- and those still serving whether on a rock or on the seven seas.

God bless the United States of America.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever tried Fentanyl? I have herniated discs and fibromyalgia...it takes the sharpness off but not all the time, but can help to fairly manage the pain. I use hydrocodone too. Cymbalta too.

• HadIt.com Elder

I like the fentanyl but getting the proper dose is hard. The VA is scared to death we will OD and they will get blamed. They don't care about your pain just CYA. The fentanyl takes the edge off without the ups and downs of the fast acting drugs like oxycodone and vicodin. I take both and I never know what will trigger my pain.

Fentanyl is a patch of some sort I believe but No havent tried it yet. I have Lidoderm and Flector patchces from my (outside VA) Pain mgmnt doc- VA said they dont give/have lidoderm or flector patches too expensive and yes I believe VAMC Northport said they worry about OD. Personally thats BULL***-pardon my french. They should have that! But my experience with VA Pain mgmt docs and pain meds docs are negative they dont want to give out the Oxycodone and Robaxin which is why I went to a doc outside - thank god my wife has an awesome job with great benefits that I can do that if not I'd be fighting with the VA.

Writing this late since my sleep was quickly interrupted by a bad dream/memory of being in the pit in 911 doing rescue and recovery so since I am up figured i'd write this. I am gonna take some meds to sleep do some breathing meditation and hopefully will be able to go forward.

Good nite and be at peace. If memory serves me correctly, I believe the balls to 4 watch in on patrol around some ship keeping an every vigilant watch now that our turns are over another american stepped up to the plate to take his turn and make sure these colors will never run. God bless you my fellow americans and our blessed country.