VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got My Psych C&p Exam

Rate this question

ExAirman

Question

Got my C&P Exams - would appreciate your ideas on where I might fit on the Mental Disorder schedule.

Here are the important parts:

Diagnosis:

Axis I: 293.83, Mood disorder due to Graves Disease, Moderately Severe, with onset treatment in military service, following ablation of the thyroid gland, and use of Synthroid for Graves symptoms, without psychsis, but with passive suicidal ideations, denies intent and planning at this writting, Medicated continuously with Depakote. Sleep Disorder, Diagnosed in Sleep Laboratory as Sleep Apnea, with Use of CPAP machine, some Hypersomnia

Axis II: No Diagnosis

Axis III: (See concurrent Medical C&P Exam Reports)

Axis IV: Mild Psychosocial Stressors--Anxiety about the future and planning for future career plans, some anxiety about his ability to follow through with planning and realize goal

Axis V: Current GAF Score = 55

Judgement: Sound, no evident of impulsive or compulsive acting out behaviors

Thinking: Sometimes derailed with attention problems; essentially linear and goal directed. He worries about his ability to track information or task for ling, sustained periods of time. THis has been reduced and could have an adverse effect on ambitions to re-engage in school.

Mood: Moderately depressed, with passive suicidal idations, no suicidal or homicidal intent or plans. The mood disorder appears to be organic mood disorder, caused by his Graves disease and thyroid medications perhaps. It tests as moderately severe, although it has been continuously medicated with Depakote

There was reduced reliability and productivity due to Mental Disorder signs and symptoms cited/measured

Conclusions:

The veterans Organic Mood Disorder, predominantly depression, was diagnosed in the military and treated there my medicine and psychiatry, and was caused by or a result of diagnosed and treated Graves/thyroid disease onset during service

Thanks!happy.gif

P.S.

I was looking through my General Medical C&P and found the following:

Discussion:

"He is an intellegent, alert individual who appeared to be quite severely depressed."

"He has become somewhat of a social recluse but apparently is living in a friendly environment."

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you able to work? That is usually the main factor in rating mental disorders for the VA. However, you deserve more than 10% and that is for sure.

I guess I am able to work, I just haven't worked in over a year and don't have a lot of desire. Am planning on going back to school on the GI Bill next year sometime. I told the Psych Doc that I was concerned about going back to school in my current state - unable to complete tasks - and that is why I am taking so much time off - trying to get my head and body straight before I attempt. I just don't feel at all the same I did when I first when to college... lets see... 25 years ago ... don't know if I have the drive to do it...

Thank you for your information!

What were you trying to get for a disability rating?

Another thing is the government is about to shutdown... Not good!

I wasn't trying to get any particular rating when I submitted my claim - I thought I might get 10% - but after reading through the forums for the past month or so I think I might fall into the 30% - 50% range.

Also, I've been there when the Government has 'Shut Down' and it was always on Oct 1 when the continuing resolution hadn't passed. All 'Non-essential' personnel went on a 'paid vacation' for a few days - it was paid because they always were given back pay for the days missed... I would assume that the VA claims personnel are not considered 'Essential' and we will experience a bit more of a delay in our claim processing!

ExAirman,

IMO - from this C&P, SC for depression,will be granted as secondary to your SC'd Graves disease and your evaluation percentage will be somewhere between 30 & 50 percent.

You might want to post a question or two on how VA disability compensation is effected by any retirement pay you maybe in receipt of.

IMO - the the following quoted below, you just need to find something to keep you busy while you wait for them to adjudicate the 10 deferred issues.

"I retired from the USAF in Feb of 2010 and had submitted my VA claim paperwork in Jan 2010 as a Quick-start claim. Through a series of VA gaffs (I will explain more later) I was never sent in for my C&P exams and my claim was sent through the ratings process using only my military medical records. Fast forward nearly a year and in early Dec 2010 I received my claim response letter which provided me with a 10% disability rating for my Graves Disease/hypothyroidism issue and had deferred my 10 other issues for further review."

Thank you Carlie for your added insight. I've already researched how the VA pay affects my retirement pay and am taking that into account in my future planning.

You are surely right about finding something to do while I wait. I have seemed to have gotten my self in a rut with useless digging on these claims issues, that will work themselves out in due time - my digging isn't helping it or me any!

I'm trying to schedule my life a little different now, If left to my own devices I will spend all day in front of the computer checking e-mail, reading the news, browsing a bit, play a short flash game, checking e-mail... the cycle continues... and I don't get anything fulfilling completed. Started at the gym a few week back with a friend. She keeps me wanting to go to not let her down - and that is good both mentally and physically. Hopefully I can break out of this self-destructive cycle and go back to school like I want to. I don't want my disabilities to own me!

Sorry for the minor venting. Guess I just wanted to share a little.

Once again, thank you Carlie for your guidance and all that you do for the others on this site - it is awesome.