• hate-ads-subscribe-now.jpg

• Ad
  • Ad
  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ad

Examination For Housebound Or A And A

In my recent award for TDIU and SMC for loss of use of creative organ.........This statement was also noted: Examination for housebound status or permanent need for regular aid and attendance showed disabilities of Copd, cervical spine and lumbar spine spondylosis restrict activities. You use a walker for ambulation. OK copd and cervical spine are Not serviced connected. Va provider and social worker both claim need for aid and attendance and in fact had VA provided home care worker while wife was down with cervical problems. VA provided c/p exam on 11/19/12.. Vet required use of aid at all times to ambulate, ability to self feed: some difficulty: ability to dress and undress: some difficulty, ability to self bathe; marked difficulty, self groom some difficulty, toileting marked difficulty. Vet unable to walk without aid of another person. Circumstances vet can leave home: Medical care only.YES fuctional Impairments are permanent. During the examination the Veteran required help top take off and put socks back on, Wife had to help get his undershorts and jeans back on and buttoned.Can Veteran travel beyond current domicile? NO The aid and attendance was considered a new claim and they are still working on it and 2 more conditions. Should the senior RO have made a decision on this or will it follow its own course.

It should follow with a decision for A&A, although it might take a while yet.

Guest ranger11bp

I have not been here for a while. I was originally Ranger11bv. I just cant seem to get my account back.I tried the lost password thing to no avail.

I have not been here for a while. I was originally Ranger11bv. I just cant seem to get my account back.I tried the lost password thing to no avail.

When you get back to us - look up at the top of your screen

and you should see a little envelope with a red #1

click on that and it will take you to your personal message section.

I have put a temporary password in there for you that you can change when

you want to.

Got the results back from this claim. Just as I figured, all denied. (no surprise).

VA form 21-2680 shows you are able to feed yourself, are not legally blind and do not require nursing home care. You cannot prepare your own meals. You require medication management as well as assistance with bathing and hygiene needs. You are able to ambulate with the assistance of a walker.

Entitlement to SMC based on aid and attendance/housebound is denied as the evidence does not show you are permanently bedridden or in need of regular A/A, and are not substantially confined to your house due to service connected disabilities. I am only 70% but have TDIU pay at 100%. I don't know if I am ready to mentally deal with them at this time to even to file a nod. This has been a terrible time for me as I have been physical sick since Christmas with non service connected problems. But, I still have plenty of time to file nod or re-consideration if I so decide in a few weeks.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By VN-Vet
      Looking for the Wisdom of the crowd here.

I have not fie a claim with the VA – yet.

I intend to file an intent to file before the end of the month, so it would give me a year to further gather evidence and proof of my intended anticipated claims to be made and preserve ‘the month of ‘March of 2018’ as my file date.

I already had received some files from St. Louis, but unfortunately not all clinic visits were included, and several other documents I know were supposed to be in there. So, I faxed St. Louis again today for everything – well see.

I am a Vietnam Vet – so Agent Orange and all it is connected with will be on the list I intend to be checked out for. 

Of the missing clinic visits, the more important issues where problems diagnosed with my ears, that made me dizzy and nauseated daily, about 2pm everyday while on duty. Also, was a diagnosis and treatment with what I remember as a fungus that supposedly ate my skin pigment and left white circles on my tanned torso, I was given topical medication and pills of some sort. Yet another issue was the flaking of my skin on my head, face, mostly around the base of nose, eyebrows, and forehead. Seems like I was given topical meds and antibiotics. None of this was in the file I received. The clinic I was treated at was located in the secured compound housing HQ of the HHC 1st Aviation Brigade, Crypto Bunker and where I worked, , AVDAC (Aviation Data Analysis Center). Worse, I can’t find anything about where this was located on Long Binh base, or any information on it. There is noting in my file other than my assignment to HHC 1st Aviation Brigade, and I just noticed my file doesn’t even contain a review from HHC 1st Aviation Brigade, or AVDAC, just 3 hash marks under my review from the 101st Admin Company in Phi Bai. 

As far as I can tell, AVDAC received high praise, but our data and purpose were absorbed by other operations, as it should have been as technology advanced. So, I don’t know how to find anything about AVDAC, or how to find out what the clinic name was, who the doctor was, or how I might obtain the files if they are not sent to me in the request for all files today. We worked in a secured fenced in area and the tiny clinic treated mostly officers, lots of Generals, and the enlisted personnel that worked in the compound so we never had to be gone from or duty to the base clinic/hospital. I was told the old doctor, who was a hell of a nice guy, was the Surgeon General of Vietnam, but then, my Colonel (Colonel Short – about 6’6”) in charge of AVDAC really liked joking around with us. Any suggestions – I am stuck and the conditions that developed I in VN I had been able to control by various means for decades, but have always flared up with stress, illnesses, heat, dryness, etc. but the past several years have been very hard to control and painful. Every doctor I see says it is something different then the last doctor.
      So, before the year passes, I intend to be thoroughly examined by outside of the VA doctors, and I’ll take appropriate DBQ with me, even if they will not fill it out, maybe they’ll go over the checkboxes with me. Any Suggestions?

Of the claims I intend to make, PTSD and MST PTSD will be on the list – top of the list in many ways. The PTSD has affected my life for about 44 years now, my kids and wife have suffered but all still love me. I have alienated nearly all my family, and have most other signs, there is no doubt I have PTSD, it depends if I am diagnosed with it. I started to going to a shrink a decade or so, but stopped short of being open, just couldn’t do it. Once again, any suggestions.

I am also concerned as how to handle MST part of my PTSD. I have issues from VN, but the MST happened on base in our barracks on Bragg. The issue gets very complicated, but I know the truth just how to prove it will be the crux of the matter. I am also afraid, as I have been for 44 years to push it, as I might lose any claim to PTSD for other stressors.
      Last question for the people familiar with MST, what do you think of the 2 MST Agents in very state, I think they work for the VA, maybe each state. Are they people I can trust – I have breathed a word of this to anyone except family and 1 old army buddy since I left the army. 

OMG – this is a book already and I haven’t scratched the surface of what I need help with
    • By abnrgr88
      Hello friends!  Quick question.....I am 90% overall and TDIU 100% with an appointment scheduled at the 1 year mark. Recently i have heard (through a VSO) that my wife and child are eligible for health care. Is this so??? thanks!
    • By unclejoe1
      I'm service connected for bilateral severe O.A hips 10%,secondary lumbar sprine,10% left and right knee 10%.My case was remanded back to R.O  for further development for my increase for hips O.A and to set C&P for my throat claim.  My question is if granted increase rate for my hips and granted service connection for  throat would I have to file for I.U or will they simply grant it if my ratings me the criteria. 
    • By Tbird
      For example: a veteran with PTSD works for a family friend’s business. The family friend provides the veteran with an office and duties that afford limited interaction with other people. The veteran’s salary pays his bills, and is over the current poverty threshold. Because the veteran’s job has been tailored to his individual needs (limited interaction with other people), his job is considered to be sheltered, and therefore falls under “marginal employment.” The VA cannot consider this job as being substantially gainful employment, and must not use it against him in determining IU.
      Marginal employment shall not be considered substantially gainful employment. Marginal employment generally shall be deemed to exist when a veteran's earned annual income does not exceed the amount established by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, as the poverty threshold for one person. Significantly, however, marginal employment may also be held to exist, on a facts found basis, based on employment in a protected environment such as a family business or sheltered workshop even when earned income exceeds the poverty threshold. Consideration shall be given to all claims as to the nature of the employment and the reason for the termination. 38 C.F.R. § 4.16(a).
    • By Tbird

Yes, in some cases you can. 
      I can’t work if I’m getting Unemployability, right? No, in fact, unemployability does not always mean that a veteran is not working. The key, however, is that all income earned from employment must be at or below the poverty level, or from a job that is considered to be “sheltered”. These types of … Continue reading
    • By Inarticulate&Distorted
      It's official! After 3 years 8 months of fighting the VA. Now at 100% TDIU P&T. Chapter 35 Bennefits will be a nice addition. I look forward to hearing your success stories too fellow Vets.
    • By Andyman73
      Recently I was DX and granted SCD for PTSD due to personal trauma (MST). I have also noticed a dramatic reduction in performance capabilities as well. I have not mentioned this to any of my doctors, VA or private. It's been hard enough to admit to the MST, without having to add the ED to it. But I've reached a point where I can no longer ignore it.  I'm only 44 years old and have far too much life left to live to continue ignoring the ED. I'd like to hear any suggestions or guidance as to the best way to file a claim for this as secondary to my SCD PTSD. Any and all suggestions from all parties are welcome. Also, should I start with making an appointment with my PCP?  Thank you to all who read and respond to this delicate and humbling matter.
      Semper Fi
    • By Ddsr
      If awarded IU with no PT what health benefits are dependents eligible for if any? Would ChampVa be available, or is it only for P&T  TDIU?
    • By tazntaylr
      I have been working with a VSO to file my claim. I am currently in the process of gathering information. Only thing, file for MST with PTSD or file PTSD. VSO was hung up on the sexual part of MST.
      Was in service 1991-2000. In 1995 was involved with a female soldier, who also was involved with another male (married) soldier. After an exercise and the last night sleeping together she asked me to kill his wife. After the second time I went to CID and wore a wire twice. While the Article 32 hearing was going on she was let out of pre-trial and started harassing me, being around me. I was moved from my company to another, and ultimately to the brigade HQ (rear detachment). Brigade HQ was deployed then. Both the female soldier and male soldier were other than honorable discharged, but I was exiled for a year. Not the same after. As I was getting out in 1999 I learned that she had asked other people in the unit to kill me. I was seen at a Vet center into 2000.
      Same time as the Article 32, my chain of command was trying to discipline me for an Article 15/court martial. The incident was with the female soldier (before she had asked me) and was on a trumped up charge. Even had the 1st sergeant threatened me in his office about "if he could not get me on that charge he would find another". After my time in Brigade HQ I returned to almost a new unit, only 5% knew me. All I wanted was out, but he harassed me every day to change my mind and go to the promotion board. Would not even let anyone drive me to airport to PCS.
      It took my wife to point out that when I get harassed or witness it at work that I am affected by it. I am currently being seen for it by the Vet center I was seen at before. The vet center had listed me as PTSD and marked as military trauma. 
      Also, I don't have anything from that time as I was not in a good place and as a 26 year old did not want the reminders in my barracks room. So if anyone knows how to get the CID or JAG records I am all ears.
    • By Aquabear
      Should I (does anyone??) write a timeline about my claim? Like a one page timeline or outline or my history. Example: I just sent in my Social Security Disablilty paperwork for my claim because my SSD was approved due to my damage to my lower spine(posted a few days ago) the judge approved it. I was in Voc rehab 9/2008-4/2009 withdrew from college due to physical/mental meltdown then again went back 9/2010-5-2011 and again had to withdraw because I physically and mentally crashed( I was approved to the National Honor Society). I was approved for SSD 11/23/2009 and I figured if I wrote it out on a timeline it would help the to show the VA exactly the time line since I'm thinking they are not good at that.
      Advice please and thank you in advance. 
      ((A quick FYI during this time I have been consistently getting spinal injections, spine fusion surgery, quad tear surgery, take pain meds(which make it hard to impossible to think theoretically) and doing physical therapy and PTSD group n one on one at VA PTSD clinic for 3 years now which helps with my daily anxiety.))
      Thanks again. 
    • By TexasMarine
      Recently awarded 70% for Bipolar Disorder, granted TDIU, proclaimed P&T, with correct claim date determined.
      I must Thank all of you for keeping my hopes alive over the years, when darkness set in.
      I must publicly thank Bergmann & Moore, LLC of Bethesda, Maryland, for without their perseverance and capabilities, I would not have had any measure of success.  Professional in every way imaginable.  I can not say enough about their latest hero, Fatima.  Fatima, thanks for being rational, thoughtful, knowledgeable and thorough!  Mr. Bergmann and Mr. Moore, you two rock!
    • By Wayne TX
      I am currently at 50% and I have submitted and still waiting on Appeals for another 110%, of which one is a 50% rating for Sleep Apnea whereby I have fully compiled with all rating guidelines plus nexus backed by two IMOs linked to secondary s/c already cited in past BVA decisions on Apnea decisions............thus I do anticipate at some point having a minimum of a 70% rating derived from my Appeals whereby one disability would also be above 50% itself. .............thus MY QUESTION:  I did not seek or included in my Appeals for Individual Unemployability because am only 50% thus not qualified at this time to seek same.  In assuming my Appeal for Apnea is granted I will have acquired the required a total overall compensation disability rating  of 70%, so can I still make a run/claim for IU at my DRO Hearing, or does that need to be filed now before the Hearing ever takes place to even be considered?  I will receive a Video Conference Hearing at RO.  Has anyone out there sought IU at their actual Hearing Date and got it based on Appeals exceeding 70% or greater once the Appeals were granted and awarded?
    • By Broken Cat
      I am in the process of putting together a claim package for mental health issues related to MST.  Try as I might, I cannot find a VSO with experience in my situation.  It's taken me years to accept that I need help and that I need to address this once and for all, so when I say that I cannot handle doing this twice (submitting a sub par claim and then doing appeals) I really mean it. From day to day, I vacillate between thinking my problems are actually other people's inability to cope OR feeling like there is no point to me and that I'm a burden.If it weren't for the whole not being able to pay bills and risking alienating my kids for all eternity, I'd be perfectly content letting the world turn while I hang out at home and being maladjusted and mean.
      In my perfect world, there would be a check list of things to submit for a fully developed claim. On this checklist, there would be a list of key phrases or high points that would help sway the decision makers into awarding adequate compensation. I haven't been able to find anyone that has had success doing this with a case like mine.  I have police reports from the MST.  I have trauma counseling records and AD medical records that clearly state a d/x for PTSD related to rape on X date. My counseling sessions identified dissociation behaviors, PTSD, and anxiety. One doctor even noted that I was combative and stated that I wished harm on my attackers. 
      Obviously, the Navy handled this clear cut case of rape, with evidence and my complete cooperation, like they do any scandal.  They buried it and came after me.  That might be a secondary stressor, but I've been warned that claiming a secondary stressor could hose up everything and to keep my mouth shut?  kind of amazing that the advice that is meant to help, sounds a lot like the advice that sent me careening out of control all those years ago.
      Anyhow, I survived, got married, got out, and went in and out of counseling.  Over the years, I've been diagnosed with PTSD, Chronic Depression, Chronic Adjustment Disorder, Agoraphobia, Generalized anxiety Disorder, and Dissociation Disorder.  I don't trust military medicine or the government, so most of my counseling was done through non-profit organizations and women's shelters. They're so secretive, that I felt it'd be safe to tell them what I went through and my statements wouldn't end up in the Navy's summary of Mishaps... again. So, I don't really have records of those, except for prescriptions that were reported to Tricare.   I do have my civilian medical records. It has page after page of doctors complaining that I broke down, was combative, emotional etc, etc.  I do have a few sessions with shrinks at MTFs in the last couple years. They were not keen on actual diagnostics, they just gave me the pills I asked for.
      I'm shopping shrinks to assess me and give diagnosis. I'm not sure I need a nexus letter, but I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt.  I have a letter from my ex boss describing how my work performance plummeted over the years and how he made accommodations to keep me on. I also have a letter from me, describing my bad days and my rituals to get through them. My husband and his best friend were witnesses to the fallout of my rape, in terms of the military's response to me.  They can verify in statements that I did report it and go into counseling. They can also verify that I'm socially isolated and very codepenedent on them to meet new people or get involved in activities.  I don't have a single friend that they didn't make for me, first.  I do not know how to people. I don't have friends from work. I don't have "my own" friends from church. I don't even have people who like me well enough, and include me in things, without my husband and his best friend acting as intermediaries.  
      oh, I also have the most recent sentencing transcripts for the ringleader of my attackers.  The judge stated that he felt this dude was unrepentant and a monster. He cited his past sex crimes, "both in the record and that didn't make it to trial" and his history of convincing others to help him conceal his crimes.  If that's not a shout out from the bench, I don't know what is.

Anyhow, I guess my question is, has anyone here done a fully developed MST claim with multiple bullet points for anxiety, phobia, ptsd, and depression, and get 100% or at least, a high enough rating to qualify for unemployability?  Without having to go through appeals and lawyers?  Was a police report enough, even if the military dropped it?  Should I give the C&P my evidence, letters, and my personal statement too? I'm sure I have 1000 more questions,  but I'm mostly looking for someone who has done what I'm trying to do.
    • By Dsom
      I'm confused on what to apply for.
    • By LanceJoseph
      My initial claim in 2010, I was granted 70% overall and 50% for PTSD.  I filed a notice of disagreement and in 2013 I was giving a C&P exam for the issues below and was granted 70% but I filed another NOD for the back dating of PTSD and the fact that they completely ignored my TDIU claim. The verbage on this letter is confusing and I'm curious is they are going to back pay my TDUI to Oct 25 2013? I underlined where I was confused.  If anyone could shed light on what I could possibly be expecting that would be awesome. 

• Our picks

• I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 
    • e-Benefits Status Messages 

Claims Process – Your claim can go from any step to back a step depending on the specifics of the claim, so you may go from Pending Decision Approval back to Review of Evidence. Ebenefits status is helpful but not definitive. Continue Reading
      • 0 replies
    • I was rated at 10% for tinnitus last year by the VA. I went to my private doctor yesterday and I described to him the problems that I have been having with my sense of balance. Any sudden movement of my head or movement while sitting in my desk chair causes me to lose my balance and become nauseous. Also when seeing TV if there are certain scenes,such as movement across or up and down the screen my balance is affected. The doctor said that what is causing the problem is Meniere's Disease. Does any know if this could be secondary to tinnitus and if it would be rated separately from the tinnitus? If I am already rated at 10% for tinnitus and I could filed for Meniere's does any one know what it might be rated at? Thanks for your help. 68mustang
      • 15 replies
    • Feb 2018 on HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran. Sharing top posts and a few statistics with you.
      • 0 replies
    • I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67.