Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

BackPay Question

Rate this question

Paula H

Question

OK, so I received notice that my claim was approved and I'm at 80% now.  I saw the update in EBenefits 9 Sept.   I got the increased amount 1 Oct.  My question is, when and how does the back pay workout?  My "Intent to File" was last April.   I've searched here and other sources and see conflicting answers.  Thank you

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

just my opinion only but if you filed the INT for this condition that you just got the 80% on  then your EED should be from the date you filed the INT with Adjustments from your % you were rated for before the increase to  the 80%

Buck is saying that your effective date should be your intent to file date which was April.  Therefore you should be getting back pay from April (May 1, 20015) up to August a total of 15 months, if I figured correctly.   If you had previous disabilities rated at say, 50% you would get an the extra 30% for that time period.    

When you will receive the retroactive pay is another matter, who knows??  Could be a month could be a year . . .

just my .02...

Did you receive the award letter or looking only at Ebennies?  Either one should show the effective date and the rating once a decision is entered.  Letter will usually have a table showing date, amount of payment etc... Also check the payment history section of Eben.  Depending on the amount of the retro, it may require additional approvals which may eat some time.  Congrats on the win!