Jump to content


Third Class Petty Officers
  • Content Count

  • Donations

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About jason

  • Rank
    hadit.com Intern

Previous Fields

  • Service Connected Disability
  • Branch of Service

Recent Profile Visitors

2,619 profile views
  1. State of Vermont Department of Veterans Affairs State of Vermont Benefits for Veterans and their Families Veteran Advocacy The application process for veterans benefits can be confusing and intimidating. If you would like someone to work for you to help make sure you receive the state and federal benefits you and your family deserve, contact our Veteran Service Officer, Mr. Richard Reed. He is a trained and certified professional veterans' advocate who will work on your behalf for no fee. You can reach Richard toll-free at (888) 666-9844. Email Richard! Discharge Records The Office of Veterans Affairs maintains copies of active duty discharge records for most veterans who entered the service from Vermont. We help veterans locate their records, will store copies of their records, and will make certified copies of records...all free of charge. Because of the federal Privacy Act, we need to have your request for your discharge in writing. You can come to our office, mail a request, or fax a request. Although we have a Records Request Form, you don't have to use it. If you don't want to use the form, just send us a letter requesting a copy of the discharge (it doesn't have to be typed) with the veteran's name, Social Security Number, date of birth, and approximate dates of service. Make sure to sign the letter and include the address you would like the discharge mailed to. We only release the discharge to the veteran, or the veteran's next of kin if the veteran is deceased. If the requestor is the next of kin, please provide the veteran's date of death and the relationship to the veteran. Requests can be faxed or mailed...sorry, we can't take Email requests for records. If we don't have your discharge, you can request it from the state you entered the military from or from the National Personnel Records Center. If you need a full copy of your records, to include your medical records, you would need to get them from the records center. Requests from them take a minimum of two months. NEW: The National Personnel Records Center now accepts Online Requests for records. Records Request Form Vermont Veterans Memorial Cemetery The Vermont Veterans Memorial Cemetery is located in Randolph Center. It provides veterans with a resting-place that honors their service at a cost lower than a commercial cemetery. In addition, certain family members may also be buried with the veteran. Applicants can choose from government markers or custom made commercial markers. Burial Application Form Vermont Veterans License Plate Veterans can receive a Vermont Veterans License Plate when they register their vehicle. Veterans can have a Vermont Veterans License Plate on each of their cars. The Department of Motor Vehicles will charge $10 the first time a vehicle is registered with the plate. Of this fee, $5 goes towards the Office of Veterans Affairs to fund their activities. Veterans License Plate Application Form or APPLY ONLINE! Vermont Veterans Home Link is to Vet Home's site Veterans, their spouses, and some dependents and parents may be eligible to live in the Vermont Veterans Home. The home offers a complete range of specialized health care services. Goals focus on dignity, independence, and the highest quality of life for each resident. You can contact the Vermont Veterans Home by following the link to the left to their web site or by calling them at (802) 442-6353. Financial Assistance The Office of Veterans Affairs provides emergency financial assistance to veterans and their dependents by providing a one-time payment. Applications are processed over the phone or in person. Applicants will need to provide detailed information on their income and expenses to apply. Call 1-888-666-9844 to apply Employment and Training Assistance Each State Department of Labor Career Resource Center has professionals who are trained to assist veterans in finding work or job training. They are extremely knowledgeable about veterans' benefits and can refer veterans to the state and federal programs designed to meet their needs. Your local phonebook will have the number of the closest office. When you call, tell them you're a veteran. The link to the left will provide a directory of these professionals in the state. High School Diplomas for WWII and Korean War Era Veterans Veterans of the World War II and Korean War Eras who do not have a high school diploma may be eligible to receive one from a Vermont high school. Applications are verified by the Office of Veterans Affairs, and the diplomas are issued by a secondary school picked by the veteran. High School Diploma Application Form or APPLY ONLINE! Hunting and Fishing Licenses; Green Mountain Pass Veterans with a Department of Veterans Affairs Service Connected Disability rating of 100% can receive a free lifetime hunting and fishing license. They can also receive a free Green Mountain Pass, which provides free access to state parks. For the hunting and fishing license, you will need to obtain a verification letter from the White River Junction Benefits Office (1-800-827-1000). Submit the verification letter with a standard license application and send it to the Fish and Wildlife Department in Waterbury. You can call them at (802) 241-3700 for more information. Applications for the Green Mountain Pass are found at your town clerk's office. Vermont Medals Veterans who entered the military when they were a resident of Vermont, regardless of where they live now, and received an honorable discharge may be eligible for a state medal honoring their service. There are two medals: The Vermont Veteran's Medal (Bronze) and the Vermont Distinguished Service Medal (Silver). The Vermont Distinguished Service Medal is awarded to those who served in a combat theater. Veterans may choose to have the medals mailed to them or presented in a ceremony. In cases where the veteran is deceased, the medals may be requested by a family member. Medals are usually mailed within 4 weeks of our office receiving an application; those who request a ceremony may have to wait up to a year before there will be a presentations. Medal Application Form or APPLY ONLINE! Vermont War Bonus The War Bonus is a program that dates back to the War of 1812. It was started to reimburse soldiers for the use of their weapons, horse, etc. during their military duty. Since then, veterans who served during war-time have been eligible, with the last payments made to Vietnam Era veterans. The bonus pays $10 per month of service, to a maximum of $120. Our office still accepts applications from Vietnam Veterans, and an extremely limited amount of funds are still available.
  2. The Utah Department of Veterans Affairs website is under construction. Here is its link: Veterans.Utah.Gov. This site had information, though. UTAH STATE VETERANS BENEFITS FACT SHEET Serving Utah's 161,000 Veterans Updated April 2004 Published by: Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs 550 Foothill Blvd Rm 202 Salt Lake City, Utah 84113 Salt Lake City Area Phone Number 801-326-2372 fax 801 326 2369 Statewide Toll Free Number 800-894-9497 E-mail tschow@utah.gov Web Page www.ut.ngb.army.mil/veterans PROPERTY TAX ABATEMENT: A Utah permanent place-of-residence property tax exemption equivalent to the military service-connected disability rating percentage is provided for disabled veterans or for their unremarried widows or minor orphans. Veteran's disability rating must be at least 10%, max. property tax exemption at 100% military service-connected disability rating: $82,500. Example: 10% disability X $82,5000 = $8,250 tax abatement. (Utah Code 59-2-1104 & 1105) Note: To apply for Utah Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemption, request VA Form 20-5455 from U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs (VA) at 800-827-1000, then file VA Form 20-5455, along with a copy of the veteran's U.S. Military active duty release/discharge certificate or other satisfactory evidence of eligible military service, and the tax exemption application, on or before September 1st, to the applicable county treasurer, tax assessor or clerk/recorder located in the county courthouse or county government building of each county seat DRIVERS LICENSE PRIVILEGES: Driver licenses possessed by persons on U.S. military active duty shall be valid 90 days after active duty discharge, unless driver licenses are suspended or revoked for cause by a police department or other judicial entity. (Utah Code Vol 2, Section 41) VETERANS LICENSE PLATES: Utah veterans license plates may be purchased for an initial $25.00 voluntary contribution for the Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs, plus a $10.00 plate transfer fee, in addition to normal registration and property tax fees, at Utah Tax Commission/Motor Vehicle. There will also be a yearly $10.00 renewal fee. Proceeds from the sale and renewal of these plates help to fund veteran programs within the state. Utah veteran's license plates display colored decal emblems of the U.S. military branch in which served (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Navy, Marines as well as the American Legion) and are further inscribed "UTAH HONORS VETERANS". Utah special group license plates for Purple Heart recipients, Pearl Harbor Survivors or former POW's are exempt of application and renewal fees: however, regular registration and property tax fees still must be paid. Proper evidence to present for special group plates includes Military Order of the Purple Heart or Pearl Harbor Survivors Association membership cards, or DD-214 (& equivalent WD AGO 5355) military discharge certificates. NOTE: You need not wait until renewal time to purchase the license plates. (Utah Code Vol 2 Section 41: Utah State Tax Commission/Motor Vehicle regulations) DISABLED LICENSE PLATES / WINDSHIELD PLACARDS: Disabled license plates having the blue & white international symbol of accessibility decal may be obtained by submitting a TC 842 application form, accompanied by licensed physician certification stating: (1) the disability limits or impairs ability to walk as defined in the 1991 Federal Uniform System for Handicapped Parking, and (2) the time period the physician determines the disability will continue. Disabled veterans applying for Utah disability license plates especially should note that veteran disability letters from the VA Regional Office are not acceptable evidence to Tax Commission/Motor Vehicle offices. However, licensed physician certifications by VA doctors are acceptable evidence, provided the following is stated in the letter: (1) the disability limits or impairs ability to walk as defined in the 1991 Federal Uniform System for Handicapped Parking, and (2) the time period the physician determines the disability will continue. Normal fees for plate transfer, registration, and property taxes still must be paid upon initial application and renewal of disability license plates. Upon request, one additional disability windshield placard may be issued to disabled persons applying for or already possessing disability special group license plates. For more information, telephone toll-free 800-DMV-UTAH. (Utah Code vol 2 Section 41.) DISABLED PARKING PRIVILEGES: Disabled persons (including disabled veterans) may park an appropriately marked vehicle for reasonable periods without charge in metered parking zones or in restricted parking areas (spaces clearly identified by the international symbol of accessibility as reserved for disabled persons.) Only vehicles appropriately marked with disability special group license plates or disability windshield placards hung from the front windshield rearview mirror attachment may legally park in accessible (disabled) parking spaces. (Utah Code Vol 2, section 41) VETERANS JOB REPRESENTATIVES: Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVER) and Disabled Veterans Outreach Person (DVOP) are located statewide in the larger employment offices of the Utah Dept. of Workforce Services. They provide intensive employment related services for targeted veterans: referral to job opportunities, resume writing, referral letters, veteran's preference, employment counseling, etc. Please see attached list of veterans' reps. (Utah Code Vol 2 Section 35 VETERANS JOB PREFERENCE: Eligible veterans or un-remarried spouses are granted either 5 or 10 points, as applicable, for employment preference, added to the results of any written &/or oral exam or other related qualifying technique, by any Utah government entity (state, county, municipality, special district or other political subdivision or administration.) The U.S. Dept. of Labor will protect the veteran's rights to the Veterans Job Preference. (Utah Code Vol 3, Section 71 ) VETERANS HIRING PRIORITY: Any officers, agents or representatives of the state, or any contractor performing work for Utah state government, who willfully fails to hire a military veteran shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. (Utah Code Vol 3, Section 71) MILITARY LEAVE : Utah state, county or municipal government employees, who are members of the organized reserve/ national guard, are allowed full pay for 15 days of military leave per year for annual military encampment. Military leave is in addition to and distinguished from annual accrued vacation leave with pay. (Utah Code Vol 3 Section 67 & USERRA federal Uniformed Services Employment & Reemployment Rights Act.) VETERANS REEMPLOYMENT RIGHTS: Veterans and members of the National Guard and Reserves may be eligible for reemployment with their civilian employers it they meet certain requirements under the Uniformed Services Employment & Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). USERRA also provides protection against discrimination in employment because of service in the uniformed services (Title 38, chap 43 USC). Inquiries regarding reemployment rights should be directed to the U.S.D.L., Veterans Employment & Training Services (801-524-5703) (Utah Code Vol 3, Section 67 & USERRA federal Uniformed Services Employment & Reemployment Rights Act, as amended.) UTAH STATE DIVISION OF VETERANS AFFAIRS: The Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs located at 550 Foothill Blvd. #202 Salt Lake City, Utah 84113, on the corner of Wasatch & Foothill on the VA Medical Center Campus. The mission of the office is to provide counsel, assisting veterans and dependents in claims processing and establishing rights to state and federal benefits, along with providing information and advisory services. Veteran service officers under contract provide an outreach assistance program to rural Utah veterans, in conjunction with the Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs. DD-214's U.S. active duty military service discharge certificates are on file in the office for veterans discharged after 1980,record) or with a Utah forwarding address at the time of release from active duty. New legislation in 2000 changed the office to the Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs, effective 01 July 2000. (Utah Code Vol 2, Section 39 & Utah Code Vol 3, Section 71.) As of July 2001, the Utah State Veterans Cemetery & Memorial Park came under the direction of the Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs. As of July 2002, the Utah State Veterans Nursing Home came under administration of the Utah State Division of Veteran Affairs. UTAH STATE VETERANS NURSING HOME: The first Utah State Veterans Nursing Home, located by the VA SLC Healthcare System (veterans hospital), phone 801-584-1900; fax 801-584-1960, address, 700 Foothill Blvd, SLC, Ut 84113-1104, was dedicated on 22 April 1998 and became operational in May 1998. Quality nursing and health care services are provided for Utah veterans with U.S. military service during peacetime or wartime. While wartime service is not a requirement for admission to the nursing home, wartime veterans with one day or more of wartime service, as recognized by state and federal laws, have top priority. A veteran's spouse or surviving spouse may also qualify for admittance to the Utah State Veterans Nursing Home, providing the marriage to the veteran occurred at least one year before the application. (Utah Code Vol 2, Section 26) UTAH STATE VETERANS CEMETERY & MEMORIAL PARK: Located at 17111 Camp Williams Road in Bluffdale, phone number, 801-254-9036, fax number 801-254-5756. This states veteran's cemetery generally follows the eligibility requirements of VA National Cemetery System, including: any U.S. Armed Forces active personnel dying while performing duty or after having served during wartime. Reservist and National Guard retired personnel with 20 years of service are eligible for burial also. Surviving spouses and dependent children also are eligible to be buried in the Utah State Veterans Cemetery & Memorial Park, under rules established by the state of Utah. Authorized in 1988 by act of the Utah State Legislature, dedication occurred on Memorial Day, 1990. Veterans are not to be buried in any portion of any cemetery or burial ground used for paupers; cities, towns, counties or other political subdivisions of the state of Utah may provide proper sites for burial of veterans. (Utah Code Vol 3, Section 71) MILITARY DISCHARGE RECORDS: Utah State Archives has military discharge records for Utah (ACTIVE DUTY) veterans from territorial times (1849-1895) through 1979. The phone number for the archives is (801-538-3013) U.S. military service records on file will be copied by Utah State Archives for a small fee. Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs has active duty only U.S. military service DD-214's for Utah Veterans from 1980 to the current year. DD-214 certified copies are provided free of charge; toll free 800-894-9497. Utah National Guard Headquarters in Draper, Utah maintains file copies of National Guard bureau NGB 22 "record of separation" certificates for completed service in the Utah Army National Guard & Utah Air National Guard (1950-present). NGB 22 certified copies are free of charge; phone 801-523-4534. NOTE: For many years, veterans were encouraged to place their DD-214 on file with their local county recorders office. We no longer recommend this practice because of security issues. (Utah Code Vol 1, Section 17 & Vol 3, Section 71) FREE USE OF ARMORIES: Organizations of war veterans are entitled to have free use of state of Utah armories as meeting places, provided such use shall not interfere with the use of armories by the National Guard or organized militia of Utah. (Utah Code Vol 3, Section 71) FISHING LICENSE PRIVILEGES: Utah Disabled Veteran Fishing Licenses are available for Veterans, free of charge, from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. To qualify a Veteran must have obvious physical handicaps, such as, permanently confined to a wheelchair, paraplegic, minus at least one limb, permanently requiring crutches, blind or otherwise permanently disabled. (Utah Code Vol. 1, Section 23) SPECIAL FUN TAGS: Free of charge to disabled veterans, other disabled persons, and persons 62 & over are Utah Special Fun Tags, which allow free admission to most of the 44 state-controlled parks, campgrounds and other recreation areas throughout Utah. The Utah Special Fun Tags also allows a $2.00 off, camping fee discount Monday through Thursday, excluding holidays. Utah Special Fun Tags are available to disabled veterans upon application to the Utah Division of Parks and Recreation, along with a VA letter documenting 10% or greater military service-connected disability rating. Please call the State Parks and Recreation office at (801) 538-7220 to have an application mailed to you. (Utah Code Vol 1, Section 23) BUS / TRAX REDUCED FARE CARDS: Greatly discounted fares (65% reduced) to ride Utah Transit Authority (UTA) busses and TRAX light rail system are available for veterans meeting these criteria: Forty percent (40%) or greater military service-connected disability rating by VA or Eligibility for VA non-service connected pension: or Regardless of disability pct. Rating for veterans & others with transportation disabilities causing either: difficulty boarding or alighting from a bus/light rail system, difficulty standing in a moving but/light rail system, difficulty reading bus/light rail system schedules & understanding information signs, difficulty hearing announcements by bus/light rail system, or difficulty hearing announcements by bus/light rail systems operators. Persons receiving Social Security Disability benefits, SSI, or Medicare also my get UTA Reduced Fare Cards. Elderly persons age 65 and over qualify for Senior Passes at the same price as Reduced Fare Cards. To obtain UTA Reduced Fare Cards for .50 cents regular fares or $18.00 monthly fares, do the following: 1. Go to either UTA location at 167 S. Main St. or 3600 S. 700W. in SLC, 2. Complete UTA Reduced Fare Card application form, 3. Present evidence (a VA letter verifying service connected disability rating or non service connected pension, 4. pay $2.00 for UTA photo identification to incorporate on UTA Reduced Fare Card. (Utah Code Vol 4 Section 72, Utah Transit Authority Regulations & U.S. Transportation Regulations) GOLDEN ACCESS PASSPORT: A lifetime entrance pass to most national parks, monuments, historic sites, recreation areas, and national wildlife refuges that charge an entrance fee. The Golden Access Passport admits the pass holder and any accompanying passengers in a private vehicle. Where entry is not by private vehicle, the passport admits the pass holder, spouse, and children. The Golden Access Passport also provides a 50% discount on federal use fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, parking, boat launching, and cave tours. It does not cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires. A Golden Access Passport must be obtained in person at any federal area where an entrance fee is charged or at one of the agencies administering the Golden Access Passport. It is available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are medically determined to be blind or permanently disabled. Veterans may obtain a passport by showing proof of a medically determined permanent disability or eligibility for receiving benefits under federal law. A letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs stating the veteran's disability rating will suffice. Agencies administering the Golden Access Passport are Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Reclamation, Army Corps of Engineers, National Park Service, and Forest Service. COMMUNITY BASED OUTPATIENT CLINICS: Following is a list of the clinics that provide medical treatment to veterans. It is recommended that you contact the clinic to ascertain the requirements of the clinic. Ogden: 982 Chambers St., S. Ogden, UT 84403, 801- 479- 4105. Roosevelt: 210 W. 300 N. Roosevelt, UT 84066, 435-722-3971, Orem: 740 W. 800 N. Ste. 440, Orem, UT 84057 801-235-0953, St. George: 1067 E. Tabernacle, St. George, UT 84770, 435-634-7608, Nephi: 48 W. 1500 N., Nephi, UT 84648, 435-623-3129, Fountain Green: 300 W. 300 S., Fountain Green, UT,435-623-3129, Milford: 451 N. Main, Milford, UT, 435-623-3129. For further information on the clinics, please contact the VA Hospital at 1-800-613-4012. GENERAL INFORMATION: The Veterans Administration Regional Office (VARO) has re-located to a new building on the campus of the VAMC (VA Hosp.) in Salt Lake City, UT. VARO's new address will be, 550 Foothill Blvd., SLC. UT 84158. You will still be able to contact the VA by calling 1-800-827-1000. VA HOSPITAL: The VA-SLCHCS, (VA Hospital) is located 700 Foothill Blvd, Salt Lake City, UT. They can be reached by calling 801-582-1565 or toll free from within Utah, at 1-800-613-4012. By calling either number, you will be able to access any department that you may need. The Salt Lake City "Vet Center" is located at 1354 E. 3300 S., SLC, UT. They can be reached at 801-584-1294, or toll free from within Utah at 1-800-613-4012 ext. 1294. The Provo "Vet Center" is located at 750 N. 200 W., Provo, UT. They can be reached at 801-377-1117 or toll free from within Utah at 1-800-246-1197. Both centers provide counseling and referral services especially designed for "war era" veterans. They also provide an extensive "out-reach" program aimed at helping the men and women who proudly served their country. HOMELESS VETERANS FELLOWSHIP: The Homeless Veterans Fellowship is located at 541 23rd St., Ogden, UT. They can be reached at 801-392-7662. HVF provides transitional housing for up to eighteen months for veterans. They can also provide emergency food bags and personal hygiene items. Coffee and donuts provided during open hours. VALOR HOUSE: Located on the campus of the VA Hospital, in Salt Lake City, UT, the Valor House provides transitional housing for homeless veterans for up to two years. There are a total of 60 beds available. For more information regarding this program, please contact Rich Landward at 801-582-1565 ext 42703. You can also access the Hospital by calling 1-800-613-4012. VETERANS UPWARD BOUND: Located on the campus of Weber State University in Ogden, UT. They provide a valuable service to veterans in that they assist veterans in obtaining admission to post secondary schools. All of the services provided by VUB are free to the veteran. They will provide tutors to veterans in Ogden and Salt Lake City. For more information, please contact James Kopecky or Natalie Rose at 801-626-7173 Outreach Services: The Division of Veterans Affairs thru contract with service officers from local Veterans Service organizations provides assistance and information to veterans and their families in filing claims for VA or other veterans' related benefits. The service officers travel the state on a monthly basis meeting with veterans, who are unable to travel to Salt Lake City, at various Department of Workforce Services locations throughout the state. For a schedule contact the Division Offices at 1800 894 9497. Attention Purple Heart Recipients: The 2004 Utah State Legislature passed a bill into law, which requires Utah institutions of higher learning to waive the tuition of a Utah resident admitted to an undergraduate program of study leading to a degree or certificate, if the student has received a Purple Heart as a result of military service. NOTE: This takes effect July 1, 2004 ANY OTHER QUESTIONS, CONCERNS, IDEAS, OR COMPLAINTS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT OUR OFFICE AT 801-326-2372 OR TOLL FREE FROM WITHIN UTAH AT 1-800-894-9497. Pasted from <http://utvet.com/Utahvetsbenefits.html>
  3. State of Texas Department of Veterans Benefits EMPLOYMENT & REEMPLOYMENT Wartime veterans have preference in employment with State agencies or offices, as do widows and children of those killed on active duty. State agencies must practice veterans' preference until they have reached 40% veteran employment. Non-retired veterans who are employed by the State of Texas are entitled to claim their active duty military time toward retirement, provided they present a proper request and pay to the Retirement System the specified amount of retirement contribution for up to 60 months' military credit. Such contribution is paid at the rate which was applicable at the time the employed veteran first was covered by the state Retirement System, plus any accrued interest. We have provided a link to the State Law regarding veterans' preference laws. Additionally, a veteran is entitled to reemployment rights with his last employer when he is released from the Armed Forces of the United States, providing his absence is not longer than four years. The right of reemployment is available regardless of whether the veteran was, prior to service, employed by the State, county or city government, or by private industry. Reemployment rights of veterans are now provided by both State and Federal laws. We have provided a link to the State Law regarding reemployment rights. TEXAS VETERANS LAND BOARD PROGRAMS The Texas Veterans Land Board (VLB), a division of the Texas General Land Office, administers three veterans' loan programs: The Land Loan Program, Veterans Housing Assistance Purchase Program, and the Veterans Home Improvement Loan Program. We have provided additional information on our site and a link to the VLB website at http://www.texasveterans.org. TEXAS STATE VETERANS HOMES The Texas Veterans Land Board (VLB), a division of the Texas General Land Office, administers the Texas State Veterans Homes program. We have provided additional information on our site and a link to the VLB website at http://www.texasveterans.org. TEXAS STATE CEMETERY PROGRAM In the November 2001 statewide elections, voters overwhelmingly approved Proposition 7, a constitutional amendment that authorized the creation of up to seven state cemeteries for veterans and their eligible dependents. The cemeteries will be built and operated through a partnership between the Texas Veterans Land Board (VLB) and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA). The USDVA will fund up to 100 percent of the construction and equipment costs. The state will own and operate the cemeteries and fund most of the cost of operations. For further information, please go to the VLB website at http://www.texasveterans.org. NO COST MEDICAL RECORDS Under the Health and Safety Code, Chapter 161.201 Subchapter M, Medical or Mental Health Records, Texas veterans are eligible for no cost medical records when they are obtained to file a claim for a disability against the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA). The health care provider or health care facility is not required to provide more than one complete record for the patient or former patient without charge. Also, it should be noted, that some medical facilities will charge a small administrative fee for obtaining the records. FREE DRIVERS LICENSE FOR DISABLED VETERANS Under Texas Transportation Code Title 7, Chapter 521, Section 521.426, Texas drivers licenses may be furnished free of charge to veterans who have service-connected disabilities rated 60% or more by the VA or by a branch of the Armed Forces of the U.S. Application must be made prior to the time present drivers license expires. Application forms may be obtained from Department of Public Safety's license examining offices located throughout the State. We have provided a link to the to the Texas Department of Public Safety's Drivers License information website. Application forms should be completed by the veteran and forwarded to the VA for verification of service-connected rating of 60% or more. If a veteran was disability-retired from military service and has no VA claim file, proof of disability must come from their respective branch of military service. FISHING & HUNTING LICENSES FOR DISABLED VETERANS Disabled veterans are eligible for special hunting and fishing licenses, at a reduced cost. A disabled veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States is one who has a service-connected disability, as defined by the Department of Veterans Affairs, consisting of the loss of use of a lower extremity or of a disability rating of 60% or more, and who is receiving compensation from the United States for the disability. A resident veteran as described in the law may hunt wild turkey and deer without a resident hunting license if he has acquired a resident exemption hunting license. We have provided a link to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website for your convenience. FREE PARK ADMISSION FOR DISABLED VETERANS Free admission to Texas State Parks is available to any veteran who has a service-connected disability, which is rated 60% or more by VA, or a service-connected disability, which has resulted in the loss of a lower extremity. Application may be made at the headquarters office of any Texas State park by providing satisfactory evidence of service-connected disability. If such evidence is not readily available, it can be obtained from the VA regional office where the claims folder is located. The Texas State Parklands Passport is available to any veteran who meets the disability requirements, whether or not he or she resides in Texas. The Passport provides only free admission to the State parks, and does not exempt anyone from payment of other charges, such as camping fees, etc. We have provided a link to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website for your convenience FREE RECORDING OF DISCHARGES Under Texas State law, Local Government Code Sec. 0192.002, the County Clerk in each County is required to record, free of charge, the official discharge of each veteran who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. This free service is very important as it provides veterans with a ready source from which they can obtain a certified copy of their discharge whenever it is needed. It is the veteran's responsibility to have the DD214 or Discharge recorded. Please also note that if you do record your DD214 with the County Clerk, it then becomes a public record. See "Safeguard Your Discharge (DD214)" in MS Word or Acrobat PDF. Also note that the Texas Veterans Commission does not keep a record of your DD214 or Discharge. TAX EXEMPTION FOR VETERANS Disabled veterans who meet certain requirements, their surviving spouses and the spouses and minor children of a person who dies on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible for property tax exemptions on the appraised value of their property. The exemption is mandatory and applies to taxes levied by all taxing authorities in the State. A veteran, whose service-connected disabilities are rated less than 10% by the Department of Veterans Affairs, or a branch of the Armed Forces, is not entitled to a property tax exemption. For those rated 10% or more, the tax exemptions below apply: Disability Rating Tax Exemption 10% through 30% First $ 5,000 of appraised value 31% through 50% First $ 7,500 of appraised value 51% through 70% First $ 10,000 of appraised value 71% or more First $ 12,000 of appraised value A veteran whose disability is 10% or more, and who is 65 years or older, is entitled to exemption of the first $12,000 of appraised value of property. A veteran whose disability consists of the loss of use of one or more limbs, total blindness in one or both eyes, or suffers paraplegia, is exempt on the first $12,000 of the appraised value of his property. A veteran who qualifies under more than one of the exemptions may not combine the exemptions, but may take the one providing the largest exclusion. The surviving spouse of a person who dies on active duty is entitled to exemption of the first $5,000 of the appraised value of the spouse's property. A surviving child of a person who dies on active duty is exempt on the first $5,000 of appraised value of the child's property, as long as the child is unmarried and under 21 years of age. The surviving spouse of a deceased veteran who, at the time of the veteran's death had a compensable disability and was entitled to an exemption, is also entitled to that exemption if the surviving spouse is unmarried. This law is administered at the local level by the various taxing authorities. For answers to questions about property values, exemptions, agricultural appraisal, and protests to the appraisal review board, or to apply for exemptions, obtain an application from your appraisal district. PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED BETWEEN JANUARY 1 AND APRIL 30 SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES Disabled Veterans, Former Prisoners of War, Pearl Harbor Survivors, Purple Heart and Medal of Honor plates are among the special license plates available to eligible veterans and their survivors for personal use on their automobile or light commercial vehicle of one ton or less. Disabled veterans must have a service-connected disability rating of 50% or more or 40% due to amputation of a lower extremity. Former prisoners of war are eligible if they were captured or incarcerated by an enemy of the United States during a period of conflict with the United States and at the time of the capture, were citizens of the United States. Eligibility is for both former members of the Armed Forces and civilian U.S. citizens who were captured by an enemy of our government. For further information, contact either the nearest vehicle title registration office or your county tax office. We have provided a link to the Texas Department of Transportation's website for your convenience. PARKING PRIVILEGES for Veterans with Disabilities; Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients and Certain Other Veterans
  4. State of Tennessee Department of Veterans Benefits State Veterans Cemeteries Click for Burial Eligibility State Veterans Homes Free license plates for 100% service connected disabled veterans, Ex-POW's, and recipients of MOH, DSC, NC or AFC Property tax relief for combat related 100% totally disabled veterans and/or their surviving spouses. For additional information, go to: www.comptroller.state.tn.us/pa/patxrvet.htm Free hunting and fishing licenses for Veterans with 30% or more war service connected disabilities, after an initial one time fee of $10. Parking privileges for free license plate holders Veterans preference in State employment Credit for military service in State employment Motor vehicle privilege tax exemption for 100% disabled veterans Special/Memorial license plates for certain veterans Reemployment rights of public employees Registration of discharges by county registrar at no fee Pasted from <http://www.state.tn.us/veteran/benefitsstate.html>
  5. State of South Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs The South Dakota site has a very clear and well-made menu of their state benefits.
  6. State of South Carolina Department of Veterans Affairs VETERANS REEMPLOYMENT RIGHTS Employees of the State/any political subdivision thereof, on or after June 25, 1950 has been, or will be, commissioned, enlisted/selected for service in the Armed Forces of the U.S. shall be entitled to a leave of absence from his/her duties as an employee of the State/any political subdivision thereof, without loss of seniority or efficiency or register rating. CREDIT OF STATE RETIREMENT FOR MILITARY SERVICE A person leaving employment with the State for military duty, may continue with the State's Retirement Program if he/she continues to make payments based on the salary he/she was receiving when employed by the State. An employee of the State with two (2) or more years of credited service with the South Carolina Retirement System may also purchase additional credit, up to six years, for militaryservice towards his/her State retirement. Contact State Retirement Systems at 1-800-868-9002 / 803-737-6800 for a cost analysis. ADMISSIONS TAX EXEMPTION Provides for the exemption of admissions taxes to athletic contests in which junior American Legion athletic teams are participants unless the proceeds are given to individual players in the form of salary or otherwise. INCOME TAX EXEMPTION ON RETIREMENT PAY Any person retired from the uniformed services or their surviving spouse, shall be allowed an exemption from the S.C. State Income Tax of $3,000 until age 65. At age 65 $10,000 of retirement pay is exempt. PROPERTY TAXES - HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION All persons who have been declared permanently and totally disabled by the Social Security Administration, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, other state or federal agencies, are eligible for a homestead exemption in an amount set by the General Assembly. This also applies to persons over age 65. FREE HUNTING AND FISHING LICENSES Provides for free hunting/fishing license to veterans who are totally disabled. License must be applied for directly from SC Department of Natural Resources showing proof of disablility. SCDNR phone 803-734-3838. STATE PARKS TOTALLY DISABLED PERSONS Provides that any South Carolina resident who is a permanently and totally disabled veteran may enter any state park at a reduced rate upon presentation of supporting disability documentation. The veteran may also apply for a reduced fee "Palmetto Passport." Certain services may require an additional fee. For more information dial (888) 88PARKS (887-2757) or (803) 734-0161. You may also find information about SC State Parks at www.southcarolinaparks.com. SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES Upon establishing proof of eligibility to entitlement, the S.C. Department of Public Safety, (803) 737-4000, may issue special motor vehicle license plates to the following: National Guard National Guard Retirees Purple Heart Recipients Disabled Veterans U.S. Armed Forces Retirees Ex-Prisoners of War Medal of Honor Recipients Pearl Harbor Survivors Normandy Invasion Survivors Marine Corps League PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION Provides that the dwelling house in which a veteran resides who has been rated as permanently and totally disabled by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs may be tax exempt. The tax exemption may be transferred when purchasing another dwelling. SPECIALLY ADAPTED HOUSING Provides for the exemption of state, county, and municipal taxes on the residence of veterans who have lost the use of their lower extremities or who has paralysis of one lateral half of the body resulting from injury to the motor centers of the brain. TAX EXEMPTION FOR COMPENSATION, PENSION, DISABILITY RETIREMENT PAY, AND VA PAYMENTS Provides that federal tax exempt moneys received from pension or compensation providedby the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, or disability pay from the Armed Forces will not be included in SC tax. PRESENTATION OF THE STATE FLAG TO FAMILIES OF DECEASED MEMBERS OF THE SOUTH CAROLINA NATIONAL GUARD Provides that the State Adjutant General's Office shall present to the family of each deceased member of the South Carolina National Guard a flag of the State of South Carolina, appropriate for use as a burial flag, upon application of a member of the family of the deceased. RECORDING OF DISCHARGES A certified copy of the recorded discharge may be obtained upon request. Any person desiring a certified copy of any discharge or certificate of lost discharge, may apply to the County Clerk of Court or the County Veterans Affairs Officer in which the discharge or certificate of lost discharge is registered and shall be furnished a certified copy. Fees for furnishing a certified copy of discharge or DD Form 214 may be established by each County,but may not exceed fifty cents. PARKING FEE EXEMPTION Provides for an exemption of municipal parking meter fees when a veteran's vehicle bears a disabled veteran ("V" tag), Purple Heart or Medal of Honor license plate. MARRIAGE, BIRTH, DEATH AND DIVORCE VERIFICATION Provides for the verification of marriage, birth, death, and divorce records without cost when such is required by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the S.C. Division of Veterans Affairs, the County Veterans Affairs Offices, or any out of state Veterans Affairs entities. STATE VETERANS NURSING HOMES There are two facilities in South Carolina: the E. Roy Stone Jr., Pavilion, which is located in Columbia, and the Richard Michael Campbell Veterans Nursing Home in Anderson, S.C. Admission to these facilities is limited to veterans who have been separated from the U.S. Armed Forces under honorable conditions and qualify as South Carolina residents who arein need of skilled or intermediate nursing home care. To apply for admission, contact the Department of Mental Health at (803) 737-5441 or 737-5282. FREE TUITION/EDUCATION ASSISTANCE (FREE TUITION FOR CERTAIN VETERAN'S CHILDREN) Provides for free tuition to the children of certain war veterans attending South Carolina state supported colleges and universities as well as state supported post high school technical education institutions. Certain residency requirements apply. For questions or to apply contact (803) 255-4255. Click here to download the Application for Tuition Assistance for Certain War Veterans Children (Adobe Acrobat pdf). ACTIVE DUTY PAY RELEVANT TO THE S.C. DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE AND TAXATION Non-resident armed services personnel who are legal residents of other States stationed within South Carolina by virtue of military orders, are not subject to South Carolina income tax on their service pay. They are, however, subject to tax on any other income earned in South Carolina by spouses of service personnel. SOUTH CAROLINA MILITARY FAMILY RELIEF FUND The South Carolina Military Family Relief Fund (SCMFRF), signed into law in 2004 by Governor Mark Sanford, provides monetary grants to families of South Carolina National Guard members and South Carolina residents serving in the U.S. Armed Forces Reserve components who were called to active duty as a result of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. SC Military Family Relief Fund Brochure (Word) SC Military Family Relief Fund Application (Word)
  7. State of Rhode Island Department of Veterans Affairs Unfortunately, the Rhode Island site has very little information. The following information was taken from Military.com. Rhode Island State Veteran's Benefits The state of Rhode Island provides veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefits. Rhode Island Veteran's Home Rhode Island Veteran's Cemetery Rhode Island Veteran's Benefit Counseling The Rhode Island Veteran's Home The Rhode Island Veterans Home, a 110-acre complex located on Mount Hope Bay, at 480 Metacom Avenue in Bristol, Rhode Island. The mission of the home is to provide quality nursing and residential care to those Rhode Island war veterans in need. Social, medical, nursing and rehabilitative services are also provided to veterans and their survivors and/or dependents to improve their physical, emotional and economic well-being. The Veterans Home consists of 260 nursing care beds in three skilled and semiskilled units and two ambulatory care units and two ambulatory care units with an additional 79 beds. The Rhode Island Veteran's Cemetery The Division of Veterans Affairs maintains a dignified and solemn military cemetery on 265 acres in Exeter, Rhode Island. The cemetery serves as a final resting place for Rhode Island Veterans who have served their country honorably during wartime and their eligible dependents. Twenty-year retirees of the Rhode Island National Guard have recently become eligible, as have reserve components of the National Guard and two-year active services personnel with honorable discharges. Rhode Island Veterans Benefits Counseling The Rhode Island Veterans Affairs Office offers benefit counseling including a variety of social services to Rhode Island armed forces personnel, veterans, and their dependents who are seeking assistance. This office processes all applications for admissions to the RI Veterans Home and will conduct home visits, if needed, for those veterans applying for admission. Other services handled by this office include casework, counseling, referral, budget management, and completion of claims (i.e. pensions, compensations, social security). The Veterans Affairs Office also provides information needed for the admission team at the Rhode Island Veterans Home to assign the proper level of nursing care to the veterans it serves. In addition, staff at the Veterans Affairs Office work with all state veteran services organizations to assist veterans with their requests for services.
  8. State of Pennsylvania Department of Veterans Affairs The Pennsylvania site is well organized. The link above takes you directly to a menu of the state's benefits.
  9. State of Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs Hunting and Fishing Licenses (Permanent Combination License) A free hunting and angling license for disabled war veterans rated at 25% or more with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Veteran must be an Oregon resident for at least six months. Application requires proof in the form of a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The letter must state the veterans service-connected disability percentage. Call 1-800-827-1000 to order your letter. The letter should be submitted with the Department of Fish and Wildlife Application Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife 3406 Cherry Ave. NE Salem, OR 97303 (503) 947-6101 Oregon Revised Statutes 497.102 and 497.121 Disabilities Permit for Hunting and Fishing The "Oregon Disabilities Hunting and Fishing Permit" is available to disabled veterans rated at 65% or more with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The disabilities permit is not a license or tag. Veterans must also obtain a Permanent Combination License. Application requires proof in the form of a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The letter must state the veterans service-connected disability percentage. Call 1-800-827-1000 to order your letter. The letter should be submitted with the Department of Fish and Wildlife Application Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife 3406 Cherry Ave. NE Salem, OR 97303 (503) 947-6101 Oregon Revised Statutes 496.018 Home Loan Program for Oregon Veterans ODVA offers a state veterans' home loan that is an additional and distinctively separate benefit from the USDVA (Federal VA) Home Loan Guaranty Program. The maximum loan amount for honorably discharged veterans is presently $417,000 (effective January 2, 2006). In some cases we can loan up to 100 percent of the appraised property value. Interest rates generally run about one percent below market — call to get a rate quote. All loans are made at fixed rates and veterans may choose up to a maximum loan term of 30 years. Download and Complete the Eligibility Form Current Home Loan Interest Rate Find a Local Lender or Mortgage Broker 1-888-ORE-VETS Home Improvement Loans Available with no loan fee. Minimal costs include escrow closing and title fees. The Department must be the first lien holder on all loans issued. Terms, conditions, and eligible improvements relating to the Home Improvement Loan are contained in ORS 406 and 407. Learn more about Home Improvement Loans Veterans' Preference Points on Civil Service Examinations All State of Oregon agencies apply Veteran Preference Points in accordance with ORS 408.230 and 408.235. Veterans' seeking employment should use the State of Oregon jobs homepage located at www.oregonjobs.org. Federal job opportunities are listed on www.usajobs.gov. An Oregon veteran must provide appropriate documentation to qualify for these additional preference points. Preference points are awarded to eligible veterans with additional preference for disabled veterans seeking employment with all state agencies, and are awarded as follows: A five (5) point preference for eligible Veterans. Application is made within 15 years of discharge or release from service in the Armed Forces A ten (10) point preference for Service-Connected Disabled Veterans. Application is made throughout the lifetime of the disabled veteran. Learn more about Oregon Veterans' Preference Points on Civil Service Examinations Oregon Veterans' Employment Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVER) and Disabled Veterans´ Outreach Program Specialists (DVOP) assist Veterans' in applying for federal, state and local government employment. The State of Oregon offers an array of services for employment assistance for eligible veterans, including: job search workshops, resume/application assistance, referrals to jobs, training, apprenticeships, vocational guidance, tax credit eligibility determination, job development, and more. Locate an Oregon Veterans' Employment Representative Oregon Veterans' Employment Rights Enforced by the United States Department of Labor, Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). USERRA protects all members of the uniformed services from discrimination in employment regardless of whether their uniformed service was in the past, present or future. Learn more about the law and access information about specific and general discriminatory practices Oregon Veterans' Education Aid Educational benefits for Oregon veterans to pursue an approved course of study or professional training in or in connection with any accredited state or other public school or accredited private school or accredited college. Benefits are paid for as many months as the veteran spent in active service, up to a maximum of 36 months. Eligible veterans are entitled to receive up to $150 per month. Learn more about Education Benefits for Veterans Find Approved Programs and Exams Approved Education & Job Training Programs Approved License and Certifications Programs Emergency Financial Assistance Program This program is for Oregon veterans and their immediate family (spouse, child, or stepchild) who are in need of emergency financial assistance. Assistance needs includes, but are not limited to: Emergency or temporary housing and related housing expenses, such as expenses for utilities, insurance, house repairs, rent assistance or food; Emergency medical or dental expenses; Emergency transportation; Expenses related to starting a business, such as business licenses or occupational licenses; Temporary income after military discharge; and Legal assistance. Veterans' Emergency Financial Assistance Program Veteran and Armed Forces Recognition License Plates Service-connected disabled veterans qualify for a one time registration fee for motor vehicle registration. Issued to honorably-discharged veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces who have a service-connected disability rating from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Application requires proof in the form of a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Call 1-800-827-1000 to order your letter. The letter should be submitted with the Oregon License Plate Application for Service-connected disabled veterans. ORS 805.100 Veterans may purchase a license plate set displaying the word VETERAN for a $10 surcharge in addition to normal fees from a local Oregon Division of Motor Vehicles office. The $10 surcharge goes to the support of the Oregon Veterans´ Home. Proof of honorable military service is required. Former POWs, members of the active Oregon National Guard and certain veteran service organization names are available on license plates. View All Veteran and Armed Forces License Plates Property Tax Exemption for Disabled War Veteran or Surviving Spouse If you are a 40% or more disabled war veteran, you may be entitled to exempt a portion of your homestead property's assessed value from property taxes. If you are a disabled war veteran or the surviving spouse of a war veteran, you may be entitled to exempt $15,450 or $18,540 of your homestead property's assessed value from property taxes. The exemption amount increases by 3 percent each year. Learn More and Download the Information Sheet. Oregon Veterans' Home Known as "The place where honor lives." the Oregon Veterans' Home is a skilled nursing care facility for Oregon veterans, their spouses or surviving spouses, and parents all of whose children died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. The 151-bed long-term care facility provides skilled nursing, Alzheimers and other dementia, and inpatient and outpatient rehabilitative care. The Oregon Veterans´ Home is a Medicare and Medicaid certified facility. Toll free information number 1-800-846-8460. Learn more about the Oregon Veterans' Home Oregon Conservatorship Program Estate and financial management program for certain veterans, dependents and survivors. Managing the financial affairs of these protected persons helps meet their current and future needs. Most of our clients have disabilities such as schizophrenia, head injury, and Alzheimer's disease that can negatively affect judgement and reasoning abilities. They are also easy targets for unscrupulous people who take advantage of them financially. Learn more about the Conservatorship program Veteran and U.S. Armed Forces Service Records Help in obtaining free certified copies of public records marriage, death, divorce, and birth records for VA claims purposes. Also note that county clerks will record veterans' discharge papers (DD Form 214) and provide copies of recorded documents free of charge to veterans and next of kin. More information about Requesting Military and Veterans' Records Oregon State Park Use Permits Service-connected disabled veterans and U.S. Armed Forces active-duty personnel on leave have free day-use parking and free overnight rental of RV and tent campsites for up to five consecutive days and no more than 10 days total in a calendar month. Learn More and Download the Application Form Oregon Veterans' High School Diploma A school district may issue diplomas under ORS 332.114 to veterans who did not graduate from a high school because they were serving in a war with the U.S. Armed Forces. Diplomas can also be issued to a representative of a deceased veteran. Learn more through the Oregon Department of Education Agent Orange Toll free information number 1-800-692-9666. Suvivors' Benefits Surviving spouses and dependents of military personnel who died while in active military service and to the survivors of veterans who died after active service. VA Benefits for Surviving Spouses Education Benefits Spouses and children of 100% rated service-connected disabled veterans along with spouses and children of veterans who died while on active duty may qualify for college or vocational education benefits. Educational Assistance for Survivors' and Dependents' Program (DEA) - Chapter 35 1-888-442-4551 www.gibill.va.gov Learn More and Contact your Veterans Service Officer Aid and Attendance Additional benefits to dependents requiring nursing home care or special care at home. Burial Benefits A burial allowance (if receiving or entitled to receive federal DVA benefits at time of death), burial flag, grave marker and, if desired, burial in a national cemetary. A spouse and dependent children are eligible for national cemetary burial. Burial Benefits Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (Survivor Benefits) Payable to the surviving spouse, children and dependent parents when the veteran died while on active duty or from an injury or illness which occurred in the U.S. Armed Forces. The VA adjusts monthly payments subject to certain factors. Death Pension (non service-connected related death) Death Pension is a benefit paid to eligible dependents of deceased wartime veterans. Payable to the surviving spouse and children of wartime veterans on a needs basis. Monthly amounts paid to surviving family members vary depending upon annual income. Employment Preference Preference for surviving spouses of service-disabled veterans in federal employment. These include, an unmarried spouse of certain deceased veterans, a spouse of a veteran unable to work because of a service-connected disability, and a mother of a veteran who died in service or who is permanently and totally disabled. www.usajobs.gov Home Loans Federal Loans to surviving spouses and children of veterans who died while on active duty, died of service-connected disabilities, or are rated 100% disabled. Insurance Claims Government life insurance. Mortgage insurance benefits for borrowers under the state veterans' loan program. Property Tax Exemption Exemption of a portion of the value from property tax for surviving spouses of deceased wartime veterans. Entitled to exempt $15,000 or $18,000 of homestead property's assessed value from property taxes. The exemption amount increases by 3 percent each year. Download the information sheet or call your County Tax Assessors Office. Social Security Possible increase in benefits for survivors, due to service credits. Also, supplemental benefits for low-income persons. Survivors' Medical Entitlement to medical care for surviving spouses and children of veterans who died of service-connected causes, if the survivors are not eligible for Tricare. Oregon Veterans Home In addition to providing nursing home care for veterans, the Oregon Veterans Home provides nursing home care for the veteran's spouse/surviving spouse, and certain gold-star parents who are now in need of nursing home and/or Alzheimer's Disease care. The 151-bed long-term care facility provides skilled nursing, Alzheimers and other dementia, and inpatient and outpatient rehabilitative care. The Oregon Veterans´ Home is a Medicare and Medicaid certified facility. Toll free information number 1-800-846-8460. Learn more about the Oregon Veterans' Home Public Records Help in obtaining copies of records necessary for veterans' benefits claims. Pasted from <http://www.odva.state.or.us/ODVA/statebenefits.shtml>
  10. State of Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs Unfortunately, the Oklahoma site provides very little information. The number they provide is 1-888-655-2838. This is the information they do provide: State Benefits A) Tax Exemption for 100% Disabled Veterans for sales tax, excise tax, and ad valorem tax (Spouse included for ad valorem tax only) FAQ: 100% Veteran Disability Exemption B) Free hunting and fishing permit for legal residents with 60% or more disability. C) State Veterans Center Ardmore--175 nursing care beds Claremore--302 nursing care beds Clinton--148 nursing care beds--8 domiciliary beds Lawton--200 nursing care beds Norman--301 nursing care beds Sulphur--132 nursing care beds Talihina--175 nursing care beds D) Emergency/Disaster Financial Assistance Program E) Reduced Fee auto tags Financial Assistance Program The Oklahoma War Veterans Commission recognized the need for a program to provide financial aid to veterans, their wives, widows, and children who are experiencing an emergency. Such must be due to an interruption or loss of job and income resulting from illness, injury or disaster such as loss of home due to fire, flood or storm. Unemployment not resulting from the above cannot be considered for one-time emergency aid and not as recurring source of income. Financial aid grants are available to eligible war veterans discharged under honorable conditions, who meet the one year residency requirement and who: Meets the definition of a war veteran as defined in Oklahoma Statutes 2001, Title 72, Section 67.13A. Has ninety (90) days of actual wartime service, in the Armed Forces for the United States during the period of a time in which the United States participated in a war, campaign or battle, but excluding any person who shall have served on active duty for training only, unless discharged from active duty for service connected disability falling within these dates: 1. WWI from 4/6/17 to 11/11/18. 2. WWII from 12/7/41 to 12/31/46. 3. Korean Conflict from 6/27/50 to1/31/55. 4. Vietnam Era from 8/5/64 to 5/7/75 (2/28/61 for Veterans who served "in country" before 8/5/64). 5. Persian Gulf war from 8/1/90 through future date to be set by law or presidential proclamation. Note: Proof of service is required. One (1) year residence in the State of Oklahoma immediately prior to date of application for financial aid. Other than death cases, a recent medical statement showing the veteran's inability to work is required for emergencies involving disasters such as fire, flood or storm damage to a home. We request a statement from the investigating agency concerning disaster claims. The widow or minor child's eligibility is based on the veteran's wartime service; however, on child welfare, the guardian or custodian of the child must have one (1) year residence as required item number 3. General Application Policies and Procedures Application for aid available through the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs must originate at the local post or chapter level of the veterans service organizations. Application will be completed by a Post Service Officer according to instructions and forwarded to the Muskogee Claims Officer for adjudication. Application should be accompanied by a copy of the veteran's discharge which will remain as a permanent record. Upon approval of a claim for emergency aid, a warrant will be mailed to the Post Service Officer, who will supervise the proper use of grant funds and maintain accurate and complete records of expenditures of each warrant received and return receipts to the Muskogee Claims Office. Financial Assistance funds are to be used ONLY for the actual necessities of FOOD, RENT and UTILITIES for veterans and their dependents. The funds cannot be used for old debts, doctor or hospital bills, car payment, etc. The following information is from Military.com Oklahoma State Veteran's Benefits The state of Oklahoma provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefits. • Housing Benefits • Financial Assistance Benefits • Employment Benefits • Other State Veteran Benefits Oklahoma Veteran Housing Programs State Veterans Center The following are state nursing homes located in Oklahoma: • Ardmore--175 nursing care beds • Claremore--302 nursing care beds • Clinton--148 nursing care beds--8 domiciliary beds • Lawton--200 nursing care beds • Norman--301 nursing care beds • Sulphur--132 nursing care beds • Talihina--175 nursing care beds Oklahoma Financial Assistance Benefits Tax Exemption Tax Exemption for 100% Disabled Veterans for sales tax, excise tax, and ad valorem tax (Spouse included for ad valorem tax only) Oklahoma Employment Benefits Veterans Preference In establishing employment lists of eligible persons for competitive and noncompetitive appointment, certain preferences shall be allowed for veterans honorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States. 1. Five points shall be added to the final grade of any person who has passed the examination and has submitted proof of having status as a veteran or unremarried surviving spouse of a veteran. 2. Ten points shall be added to the final grade of any war veteran of the Oklahoma Statutes who has passed the examination and has submitted proof of having a service-connected disability as certified by the Veterans Administration or Agency of the Defense Department within six months of date of application. 3. In addition to the 10 points preference such eligible war veterans who are in receipt of benefits payable at the rate of 30% or more because of the service-connected disability, shall be considered Absolute Preference Veterans. Their names shall be placed at the top of the register, ranked in order of their examination scores. Absolute Preference Veterans shall not be denied employment and passed over for others without showing cause. Other Oklahoma State Veteran Benefits Free Hunting and Fishing Permit Free hunting and fishing permit for legal residents with 60% or more disability. Emergency/Disaster Financial Assistance Program Reduced Fee Auto Tags The Claims and Benefits Division The Claims and Benefits Division provides many different services to the veterans and their dependents. The primary function is to assist veterans and their dependents with their claims before the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Claims worked through the Muskogee Claims Office help claimants obtain compensation and pension benefits. Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs Service Officers and Claims Officers are accredited with a number of service organizations in order to better represent the claimant with their claims and appeals. The Claims Officers will assist in the appeals process, and if necessary, represent the claimant at a personal hearing before the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Hearing Officer. The Muskogee Claims Office handles lifetime hunting & fishing permits, special veterans license plates, and the Financial Assistance Program. Pasted from <http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-b...terans-benefits>
  11. State of Ohio Department of Veterans Affairs Ohio's benefits are rather subdivided on their site. Hopefully, their site will provide you, without too much hassle, with what you need.
  12. State of North Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs (The menu of state benefits is to the left on the page) Special License Plates P.O.W. A veteran, while serving in the U.S. armed forces was a prisoner of war and has received an honorable discharge from the U.S. armed forces, may be issued a special number license plate. On the death of the veteran, the surviving spouse may retain the numbered plate as an active plate. N.D. Veterans' Cemetery Distinctive numbered plates may be issued to individuals eligible for interment in the North Dakota Veterans' Cemetery. The surcharge collected will be divided between the Veterans' Cemetery Trust Fund and the Veterans' Cemetery Maintenance Fund. National Guard Distinctive numbered plates may be issued to members of the National Guard. The Adjutant General shall certify those members of the national guard eligible to receive the plates. Purple Heart Available to those recipients of the Purple Heart award as listed on the DD214 or Certificate. Transportation System The veterans transportation system is designed to aid veterans in transportation to a Veterans Hospital. Currently , there are 5 vans on scheduled routes bringing veterans to Fargo, North Dakota or Miles City, Montana. The cost of this program is underwritten in part by the Post War Trust Fund. National Guard Tuition Waiver Any qualifying member of the national guard who enrolls in any state-controlled school, shall, subject to national guard rules promulgated by the adjutant general, receive a waiver of the tuition charged by the school. The tuition waiver is valid only so long as the member of the national guard maintains satisfactory performance with the guard, meets the qualification requirements of rules promulgated by the adjutant general, and pursues a course of study in a manner which satisfies the normal requirements of the school. Free Tuition to qualified Dependents in North Dakota Institution of Higher Education. Any dependent of a resident veteran who was killed in action or died from wounds or other service-connected causes, was totally disabled as a result of service-connected causes, died from service-connected disabilities, was a prisoner of war, or was declared missing in action, upon being duly accepted for enrollment into any North Dakota state-supported institution of higher education or state-supported technical or vocational school, must be allowed to obtain a bachelor's degree or certificate of completion, for so long as the dependent is eligible, free of any tuition and fee charges.... provided that the bachelor's degree or certificate of completion is earned within a forty-five month or ten semester period or its equivalent; and further that tuition and fee charges shall not include costs for aviation flight charges or expenses. Hardship Assistance Grant The purpose of this assistance is to provide monies to give aid and comfort to veterans [as defined in NDCC 37-14] and their spouses, or un-remarried widow/widowers of eligible veterans. The individual must have an unmet need of dental work, eye glasses, hearing aids, transportation for medical treatment, or any special need for medical reasons, approved by the Commissioner of Veterans Affairs. Routine and maintenance procedures are not covered. Income will be based on established indexes such as pension rates and poverty guidelines which will be reviewed annually. Documentation will be required. The applicant must be a North Dakota resident for one year prior to application date. Documentation will be required. Medical bills showing all work completed, and all payments and credits must be received by the department within 60-90 days of the date of approval. Veterans Aid Loan Program The Veterans Aid Fund is a permanent fund to be used solely for the purpose of making loans to veterans or their widow/widowers. To qualify, the applicant is required to be a: peacetime veteran, wartime veteran or, National Guard with active duty [as defined in NDCC 37-14], or unremarried widow/widower of eligible veteran; a citizen and resident of North Dakota for at least one year, and have the financial ability to make payments. The maximum loan amount is $5,000. The interest rate is 8% per annum. Time limit can be from six months to 48 months. One half of the interest paid will be refunded provided the loan is repaid under the agreed upon terms. The Department has the right to take legal action to collect on delinquent loans. North Dakota Veterans Home The North Dakota Veterans Home, located in Lisbon, North Dakota, consists of 111 basic care and 38 skilled nursing beds. The Veterans Home was established to provide service to an eligible veteran who is: A bona fide resident of North Dakota for at least one year; or Served in a North Dakota regiment (activated N. D. National Guard); or Entered the Armed Forces as a North Dakota resident; or Is the spouse or surviving spouse of above veteran. Application may be made through any County Veterans Service Officer. Pasted from <http://www.nd.gov/veterans/benefits/homes.html>
  13. State of North Carolina Department of Veterans Affairs EDUCATION Any member of the armed services qualifying for admission to an institution of higher education, but not qualifying as a resident for tuition purposes shall be charged the in-state tuition rate for enrollments while a member of armed services in the state. SCHOLARSHIPS In appreciation for the service and sacrifices of North Carolina's war veterans, a four year scholarship program at North Carolina approved schools has been established for the qualifying children of certain class categories of deceased, disabled, combat, or POW/MIA veterans. To qualify, the applicant must: 1. Be under age 25 at time of application 2. Veteran parent was a legal resident of North Carolina at the time of said veteran's entrance into that period of service in the armed forces during which eligibility is established OR 3. The applicant is the natural child, or adopted child prior to age 15, who was born in North Carolina and has been a resident of North Carolina continuously since birth. 4. The veteran's disabilities must have occurred during a period of war. For Classes II and III, which are competitive, the application must be received in the Assistant Secretary's Office on or before March 1st. There is no deadline for Classes IA, IB, or IV. For additional information see attached chart giving a synopsis of the scholarships offered and North Carolina General Statute Chapter 165, Article4. For details and to see if the North Carolina school you have chosen is approved, consult a local VSO or write to the Assistant Secretary for Veterans Affairs, North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs, 1315 Mail Service Center, Albemarle Building, Suite 1065, Raleigh, NC 27699-1315. EMPLOYMENT Preference in State Government employment is granted to veterans, their surviving spouses or the spouses of disabled veterans, without regard to age, provided they are otherwise qualified. Military leave with reemployment rights is also granted State employees. The Employment Service Division of the Employment Security Commission assists in endeavoring to secure suitable employment for disabled veterans. Any person desiring information and assistance with matters related to employment and job placement should contact the nearest local employment office of the Employment Security Commission. Veterans Employment Representatives are available to render specialized service for veterans. GUARDIANS State law provides for the appointment and supervision of guardians for incompetent veterans, incompetent dependents of veterans and minor dependents of members of the armed forces or veterans in certain circumstances, to manage U.S. funds payable to such persons. LICENSES Hunting and Fishing All 50% or more disabled veterans may obtain a lifetime hunting-fishing license upon the payment of $10.00. Members of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in North Carolina, their spouses and their dependents under age 18 residing with them are deemed residents of North Carolina for the purpose of purchasing licenses issued by the Wildlife Resources Commission. Auto License Plates NC DMV American Legion. Issuable to a member or a supporter of the American Legion. The plate shall bear the words "American Legion" and the emblem of the American Legion. The Division may not issue the plate authorized by this subdivision unless it receives at least 300 applications for the plate. Bronze Star Recipient. Issuable to a recipient of the Bronze Star. The plate shall bear the emblem of the Bronze Star and the words "Bronze Star". Combat Veterans. Issuable to a veteran of the armed forces who served in a combat zone, or in waters adjacent to a combat zone, during a period of war and who was separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions. The Division may not issue the plate authorized by this subdivision unless it receives at least 300 applications for the plate. A "period of war" is any of the following: <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" value=1>World War I, which began April 16, 1917, and ended November 11, 1918. <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" value=2>World War II, which began December 7, 1941, and ended December 31, 1946. <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" value=3>The Korean Conflict, which began June 27, 1950, and ended January 31, 1955. <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" value=4>The Vietnam Era, which began August 5, 1964, and ended May 7, 1975. <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" value=5>The Persian Gulf War. Any other campaign, expedition, or engagement for which the United States Department of Defense authorizes a campaign badge or medal. Disabled Veteran. Issuable to a veteran of the armed forces of the United States who suffered a 100% service-connected disability. Distinguished Flying Cross. Issuable to a recipient of the Distinguished Flying Cross. The plate shall bear the emblem of the Distinguished Flying Cross and the words "Distinguished Flying Cross". Legion of Valor. Issuable to a recipient of one of the following military decorations: the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, the Navy Cross, or the Air Force Cross. The plate shall bear the emblem and name of the recipient's decoration. Military Reservist. Issuable to a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States. The plate shall bear the name and insignia of the appropriate reserve component. Plates shall be numbered sequentially for the members of a component with the numbers 1 through 5000 reserved for officers, without regard to rank. Military Retiree. Issuable to an individual who has retired from the armed forces of the United States. The plate shall bear the word "Retired" and the name and insignia of the branch of service from which the individual retired. The Division may not issue the plate authorized by the subdivision unless it receives at least 300 applications for the plate. National Guard Member. Issuable to an active or a retired member of the North Carolina National Guard. The plate shall bear the phrase "National Guard". A plate issued to an active member shall bear a number that reflects the seniority of the member; a plate issued to a commissioned officer shall begin with the number "1"; a plate issued to a noncommissioned officer with a rank of E7, E8, or E9 shall begin with the number "1601"; a plate issued to an enlisted member with a rank of E6 or below shall begin with the number "3001". The plate issued to a retired or separated member shall indicate the member's retired status. Partially Disable Veteran. Issuable to a veteran of the armed forces of the United States who suffered a service connected disability of less than 100%. Pearl Harbor Survivor. Issuable to a veteran of the armed forces of the United States who was present at and survived the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. The plate will bear the phrase "Pearl Harbor survivor" and the insignia of the Pearl Harbor survivors' Association. Prisoner of War. Issuable to the following: a. A member or veteran member of the armed forces of the United States who has been captured and held prisoner by forces hostile to the United States while serving in the armed forces. b. The surviving spouse of a person who had a prisoner of war plate at the time of death so long as the surviving spouse continues to renew the plate and does not remarry. Purple Heart Recipient. Issuable to a recipient of the Purple Heart award. The plate shall bear the phrase "Purple Heart Veteran, Combat Wounded" and the letters "PH". Silver Star Recipient. Issuable to a recipient of the Silver Star. The plate shall bear the emblem of the Silver Star and the words "Silver Star". Veterans of Foreign Wars. Issuable to a member of a supporter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The plate shall bear the words "Veterans of Foreign Wars" or "VFW" and the emblem of the VFW. The Division may not issue the plate authorized by this subdivision unless in receives at least 300 applications for the plate. Vietnam Veteran. Issuable to a veteran of the armed forces of the United States who served in Vietnam. The Division may not issue the plate authorized by this subdivision unless it receives at least 300 applications for the plate. Fees. Upon request, the Division shall provide and issue free of charge one registration plate to a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor, a 100% disabled veteran, and an ex-prisoner of war. All other special registration plates, including additional Congressional Medal of Honor, 100% Disabled Veterans, and Ex-Prisoner of War plates, are subject to the regular motor vehicle registration fees, plus an additional fee in the following amount: Active Member of the National Guard None 100% Disabled Veteran None Ex-Prisoner of War None Legion of Valor None Purple Heart Recipient None Silver Star Recipient None All Other Special Plates $10.00 DRIVERS LICENSE In general, State law allows a military drivers license expiration procedure within the Division of Motor Vehicles to renew upon request to North Carolina residents on active duty, to their spouses and dependent children. HANDICAPPED PARKING PRIVILEGES Disabled veterans issued a registration plate are entitled to park in spaces designated for the handicapped and unlimited parking time in most parking zones having time restrictions. VOTING 1. Absentee Registration and Voting. Persons who are in the armed forces, their spouses, veterans in government hospitals, etc., who are otherwise qualified to vote may register and vote by mail in primaries and general elections, subject to the procedural details set forth in the law. 2. Disabled Voters, Primary or General Elections. Assistance in Voting. A voter who, on account of physical disability, blindness or illiteracy is entitled to assistance as prescribed in the law, in getting to and from the voting booth and in marking their ballots. Voting Outside the Voting Enclosure. Voters who are able to travel to the voting place, but because of age, physical disability or physical barriers encountered at the voting place are unable to enter same without physical assistance, may vote from their vehicles or in the immediate proximity of the voting place, subject to certain procedures prescribed by law. MINOR VETERANS AND MINOR SPOUSES OF VETERANS In general, State law grants to these persons the same rights and responsibilities as though they were of legal age (18 years and older), in order to enjoy those benefits under the laws of the United States relating to veterans benefits. RECORDS Discharges. The Register of Deeds of any North Carolina county is required to record, free of charge, all official discharges from the armed forces offered for registration. Free certified copies of discharges so recorded may be obtained by members or former members of the armed forces and by representatives of the N. C. Division of Veterans Affairs upon application. Other Records, Including Discharges. Representatives of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs who need copies of State and local public records in assisting clients may obtain same without charge. Exception: certain privileged and confidential records whose disclosure is otherwise provided for by law. Certified Copy of Public Record. A certified copy of any public record required by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs or the Division of Veterans Affairs for use in determining the eligibility of any person to participate in benefits made available by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs shall be provided without charge by the official responsible for the custody of the public record. The document shall be issued to the applicant for such benefits or any person acting on his or her behalf or the representative of the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs or the Division of Veterans Affairs. RETIREMENT CREDIT, MILITARY SERVICE, STATE AND PARTICIPATING LOCAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES Under certain conditions and subject to the confines of State law, credit for both State and local government retirement plans can be granted for military service performed by an eligible employee. Further inquiry should be made to Employee's Retirement and Health Benefits Division, N. C. Department of the Treasurer, Raleigh, N. C. INCOME TAX RELIEF Cancellation of Certain Assessments and Abatement of Income Tax. Any assessment of income tax due prior to the time a person was inducted into the Armed Forces will be canceled and abated if the serviceperson was killed while a member of the Armed Forces or is receiving service-connected disability compensation. No interest is payable on refunds made under this section of the law. Allowances, Servicepersons. Subsistence and quarters allowances, uniform and equipment allowances and mustering-out payments are not taxable to the serviceperson as income. Mileage and per diem allowances for official travel and transportation are excludable from the service income except to the extent that they exceed the travel and transportation expenses. Deductions, Servicepersons. Income tax deduction may be claimed for insignia, swords, aiguillettes, epaulets, campaign bars, cap devices, chin straps and the cost of altering uniforms necessitated by change in rank. Disability Pay, U. S. Government. All disability payments to veterans by reason of service in the Armed Forces are not reportable as income for income taxation purposes. Education and Training Allowances. U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs payments made to veterans enrolled in schools and training establishments under the GI Bill are exempt from income taxation. Grants for Motor Vehicles. Grants by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs for motor vehicles for veterans who lost their sight or the use of their limbs are exempt from income taxation. Grants for Specially Adapted Housing. Grants by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs to seriously disabled veterans for homes designed for wheelchair living are exempt from income taxation. Gratuity Pay, Six-Months. The six-months gratuity pay to a beneficiary of a deceased serviceperson is exempt from income taxation. Hostile Fire Duty Pay. Exemption is same as Federal Internal Revenue Service. Insurance Dividends, Government Insurance. Dividends and all other proceeds except interest on dividends from G. I. insurance policies are exempt from income taxation. Retired Pay. The following is exempt from income taxation: Any amount, not to exceed $4,000 received by a taxpayer during any year as retired or retainer pay as a result of service in any of the Armed Forces of the United States. PROPERTY TAX RELIEF Certain Vehicles. A motor vehicle owned by a disabled veteran that is altered with special equipment to accommodate a service-connected disability. As used in this section, disabled veteran means a person as defined in 38 U.S.C. § 101(2) who is entitled to special automotive equipment for a service-connected disability. Specially Adapted Housing. Disabled veterans who receive U. S. Government assistance under Title 38, United States Code Annotated for the acquisition of specially adapted housing are eligible for an exclusion from ad valorem taxation on the first $38,000 in assessed value of housing together with the necessary land therefore which is owned and used as a residence by the disabled veteran. Veterans Organizations. Real and personal property belonging to veterans organizations as defined by statute shall not be listed, appraised, assessed, or taxed for ad valorem purposes. Pasted from <http://www.doa.state.nc.us/vets/statebenefits.htm>
  14. State of New York Department of Veterans Affairs Who's Eligible? Eligibility for most veterans benefits--whether from New York State or the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) -- is based on discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions with a minimum period of service as specified by law. Active duty service generally means full-time service as a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, or as a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service, the Environmental Services Administration, or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Completion of at least six years of honorable service in the Selected Reserves also provides for home loan benefits for those not otherwise eligible. Persons serving in the reserves may also be eligible for education benefits. Men and women veterans with similar service are entitled to the same VA benefits. Service in 30 organizations during special periods that include World Wars I and II has been certified as active military service by the Defense Department. Members of these groups, listed at this site, may be eligible for VA benefits if Defense certifies their service and issues a discharge under honorable conditions. The Defense Department issues each veteran a military discharge form, DD214, identifying the veteran's condition of discharge - honorable, general, other than honorable, dishonorable, or bad conduct. Honorable and general discharges qualify a veteran for most VA benefits. Dishonorable and bad-conduct discharges issued by general courts-martial bar VA benefits. Veterans in prison and parolees may be eligible for certain VA benefits. VA regional offices can clarify eligibility of prisoners and parolees. Wartime Service Some VA benefits and medical care require wartime service. As specified in law, VA recognizes these war periods: Mexican Border Period - May 9,1916 through April 5, 1917, for veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or in adjacent waters World War I - April 6, 1917 through November 11, 1918; for veterans who served in Russia, April 6, 1917 through April 1, 1920; extended through July 1, 1921, for veterans who had at least one day of service between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918 World War II - December 7, 1941 through December 31, 1946 Korean Conflict - June 27, 1950 through January 31, 1955 Vietnam Era - August 5, 1964 (February 28, 1961 for NYS) through May 7, 1975. (For veterans who served in Vietnam during the period from February 28, 1961 to August 5, 1964 - this applies to certain Federal benefits only.) Persian Gulf War - August 2, 1990 through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation. Veterans may be eligible for certain state benefits if they served in hostile actions and received expeditionary force medals for the following: Lebanon - June 1, 1983 through December 1, 1987 Grenada - October 23,1983 through November 21, 1983 Panama - December 20, 1989 through January 31, 1990 Other Military Service - Veterans who served during periods other than listed above, and, who were awarded an Armed Forces, Navy or Marine Expeditionary Medal, may be eligible for Real Property Tax Exemption benefits. Important Documents The veteran's DD214 form or military discharge should be kept in a safe, convenient location accessible to the veteran and next of kin or designated representative. The veteran's preference regarding burial in a national cemetery and use of a headstone provided by VA should be documented and kept with this information. The following documents, if not included in VA files, will be needed for claims processing related to a veteran's death: (1) marriage certificate for surviving spouse or children; (2) death certificate if the veteran did not die in a VA medical facility; (3) children's birth certificates for children's benefits; (4) veteran's birth certificate for parents establishing eligibility. Filing Claims We recommend any veteran or family member who is considering filing a claim with VA for benefits should consult with their nearest New York State Veterans Counselor for assistance. Veterans, their families and survivors may be eligible for a variety of benefits and services provided by a grateful nation and state. The following is a summary of available United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and state programs within New York. For further information about these benefits, or help in applying for a benefit, contact the nearest state veteran counseling office SUMMARY OF BENEFITS AUTOMOBILE Federal: Certain seriously disabled veterans may qualify for a one-time payment of up to $11,000 toward the purchase of an automobile or other conveyance, or for special adaptive equipment on vehicles. State: Auto registration, Thruway permits furnished free to qualified, seriously disabled veterans who receive a VA adaptive vehicle grant. BLINDNESS Federal: Veterans in receipt of compensation for service-connected disability and blind in both eyes or who are in receipt of Aid and Attendance may qualify. Blindness need not be service-connected. Seeing eye dogs, electronic and mechanical aids available. State: A New York State Blind Annuity -- paid in monthly installments -- (2007 rate is $1,103.33 annually -- $91.94 monthly) is available to visually impaired wartime veterans and certain unremarried spouses. Follow this link for applications and more information. (New York State Blind Annuity) BURIAL Federal: Financial assistance for burial and plot expenses available for certain eligible veterans. Burial in National Cemeteries available to certain veterans and family members. Claim must be filed within two years after permanent interment. Headstones or grave markers are provided by the VA. An American flag is available to drape the casket and be given to next of kin. State: Payments authorized by counties for indigent New York veterans and certain family members; purchase of headstone also authorized. State: A supplemental burial allowance of up to $6,000 is authorized for certain military personnel killed in combat or while on active duty in hostile or imminent danger locations on or after September 29, 2003. CIVIL SERVICE Federal: Ten-point preference for eligible disabled veterans in competitive exams only. Certain requirements waived and special priority given in certain job categories. Unremarried widows, certain wives and mothers of disabled veterans also are eligible for preference. Five-point preference for wartime veterans honorably discharged. State: Qualified handicapped disabled veterans eligible for appointment to non-competitive State employment positions under Sections 55-b and 55-c of the New York State Civil Service Law. State and Local: Ten-point additional credit preference toward original appointment for disabled wartime veterans; five-points for wartime service; and two and a half points for competitive promotional exams. Job retention rights applicable to veterans and spouses of totally disabled veterans. Further information on jobs with New York State agencies is available at www.cs.state.ny.us or by calling (518) 457-6216 or by email at examinfo@cs.state.ny.us DISABILITY PENSION BENEFITS Compensation: Veterans with a disability or disease incurred during active service are entitled to monthly compensation payments determined by the severity of the condition or loss of earning power. Application may be made for the benefit anytime during the veteran's lifetime. Additional monetary allowances for dependents of veterans with 30 percent or greater disability rating. Disability Pension (Non-Service Connected): A monthly pension is payable to eligible wartime veterans with limited income and non-service-connected disabilities that are permanent and totally disabling. Veterans must be determined to be permanently and totally disabled for pension purposes. Payments based on annual income and net worth. EDUCATION Federal: The VA administers basic education programs for veterans and service persons seeking assistance for education or training. The programs may be non-contributory, contributory, or may be training for unemployed veterans. Children of Veterans (Federal): If veteran's death or total disability is service-connected during a period of hostility, the children may pursue approved courses in schools and colleges under the Dependents Education Assistance program. Orphans ages 18-26 receive a financial stipend for up to 45 months schooling. Certain children beginning at age 14, may be eligible for special restorative training. Widow(er)s and Spouses (Federal): Educational benefits and financial stipends also available to widow(er)s and spouses of certain veterans who died of service connected disability or who are disabled 100-percent from service-connected causes. (State) Veterans Tuition Award: Provides up to $1,000 per semester for full-time study or $500 per semester for part-time study to eligible New York State residents discharged under other than dishonorable conditions from the U.S. Armed forces and are: Vietnam Veterans who served in Indochina between Dec. 22, 1961 and May 7, 1975. Persian Gulf Veterans who served in the Persian Gulf on or after Aug. 2, 1990. Afghanistan Veterans who served in Afghanistan during hostilities on or after Sept. 11, 2001. Detailed information can be found at: www.hesc.org Awards for Children of Veterans (CV) (State): Provides to eligible children of deceased veterans or those service connected disabled of 40-percent or greater a non-competitive award of $450 a year. For detailed information www.hesc.org Military Service Recognition Scholarship (MSRS): Available to certain dependents of military personnel killed, severely and permanently disabled or missing in combat or a combat zone of operation since August 2, 1990. GI BILL BENEFITS for On-The-Job or Apprenticeship Training EMPLOYMENT and TRAINING As guaranteed by the New York State Veterans Bill of Rights for Employments Services, veterans are entitled to priority service at all New York State Department of Labor offices in referrals to jobs, as well as for employment counseling, vocational testing and other services. Veterans receive special priority for all services and training funded by the Job Training Partnership Act. For more information call 1-800-342-3358 or visit the Department of Labor's Web site: http://www.labor.state.ny.us/vets/vetresources.shtm HEALTH CARE Hospitalization: VA facilities give the highest priority for medical care to those veterans who are: rated service-connected disabled; retired by disability from active duty; were awarded the Purple Heart; in receipt of VA pension; are eligible for Medicaid; are former POW's; are in need of care for a condition related to exposure to dioxin or other toxic substance (Agent Orange) or Gulf War diseases, or exposure to ionizing radiation while on active duty. Non-service connected veterans may be treated if facility resources allow, and may be subject to a test of financial means and a co-payment.Outpatient Medical Treatment: VA provides medical services to eligible veterans on an outpatient basis within the limits of the individual medical facilities. Nursing Home (Domiciliary) Care (Federal): Admission limited to eligible veterans who are disabled, unable to earn a living and in need of medical treatment and full care other than hospitalization. Nursing home care can be authorized for a limited period on referral from VA medical centers. State Veterans Home: A 242 bed veterans home is operated by the State Department of Health at Oxford, Chenango County, for veterans, spouses and certain parents. The Department of Health also operates a 250-bed facility at St. Albans, Queens, a 126-bed facility adjacent to the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Batavia, Genesee County and a 250-bed facility in Montrose, Westchester County. A 350-bed Veterans Home is located on the campus of the State University of New York at Stony Brook, Long Island, and is operated by the university's Health Sciences Center. Health related care and skilled nursing services are available at all facilities. Admission preference is based on severity of illness or disability and need for care. INSURANCE Holders of USGLI, NSLI and VSLI policies can obtain information concerning conversion, beneficiary changes, loans and disability riders from their local State Veteran Counseling Center. Servicemembers with SGLI have 120 days following separation from service to convert to a permanent insurance plan. LICENSES & PERMITS Veterans with a 40-percent or greater disability rating are eligible for low-cost hunting and fishing licenses, and free use of state parks, historic sites and recreation sites. LOANS (HOUSING) Certain veterans and spouses are eligible for GI loans for homes, condominiums and manufactured homes. Participating financial institutions receive a guarantee from the VA covering part of the loan in the event of default on repayment. Applicants must apply for a certificate of eligibility. Veterans must apply for a certificate of eligibility. The VA guarantee may reduce or eliminate a down-payment. PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION Partial exemption from real property taxes is based on condition of service, with additional benefits based upon degree of service-connected disability. Applications must be filed before Taxable Status Day. Qualifying widow(er)s may file for benefit based on their spouse's service. Exemption applies to local and county property taxes. For more detailed information and applications, see: Frequently Asked Questions -- Veterans Property Tax Exemption RE-EMPLOYMENT Application to former employer for restoration to pre-military position, other than temporary employment, should be made within 90 days of separation. Job reinstatement is for like seniority, status and pay. Reservists after initial training must seek reinstatement within 31 days. REVIEW OF DISCHARGE Military Boards of Review have authority to correct and upgrade most discharges based on facts presented for consideration. SURVIVORS' BENEFITS Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC): DIC payments are payable to eligible spouses, unmarried children under 18, certain children pursuing higher education, certain helpless children, and dependent parents of veterans whose death was service-connected. Benefits are discontinued upon remarriage. Annual income of parents is an eligibility factor for parental DIC. Surviving Spouse Pension (Non-Service-Connected Death): Certain surviving spouses and children of a deceased veteran who served during a period of hostility may be eligible for a death pension. Amount depends on monthly income and, in some instances, net worth. Minor children may be eligible even though spouse remarries. VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION Federal: Entitlement to vocational rehabilitation benefits — including institutions of higher education, trade schools, apprenticeship programs and on the job training are available for eligible veterans with service-connected disabilities. State: The Office of Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities offers qualified disabled veterans vocational evaluation, consultation and training. VOTER REGISTRATION You can register to vote in person at your county Board of Elections, or at any New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs benefits counseling office. If you have any questions, visit your state veterans counselor who will provide you a voter registration form. SPECIALLY ADAPTED HOMES Federal: Certain seriously disabled or blinded veterans may be eligible for a grant to build or adapt their home to meet the wheelchair needs or other adaptations for the veteran's disability. State: Seriously disabled veterans who are eligible to receive federal funds to adapt their homes are exempt from local property taxes, including school taxes and special charges. Pasted from <http://www.veterans.state.ny.us/benefits.htm>
  15. Stat of New Mexico Department of Veterans Affairs Veterans' Property Tax Exemption Any veteran who served a minimum of 90 days consecutive active duty (other than for training), has an honorable discharge, and is a legal resident of New Mexico qualifies for a $4000 reduction in the taxable value of their real property for county taxation purposes. This benefit can also be used for a 1/3 discount when registering a vehicle in New Mexico. The benefit is also available to the unremarried surviving spouse of a veteran who would have otherwise qualified for this benefit. Download: Application Disabled Veteran Property Tax Exemption Any veteran who has been rated 100 percent service-connected disabled by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and is a legal resident of New Mexico, qualifies for a complete property tax waiver on their primary residence. Download: Application Vietnam Veteran Scholarship Veterans who have been residents of New Mexico for a minimum of 10 years, served in Vietnam, and were issued the Vietnam Campaign or Service Medal are eligible. The Vietnam Veteran Scholarship will pay full tuition and books at any state funded post-secondary school. Download: Application Children of Deceased Veterans Children between the ages of 16-26 whose veteran parent was killed in action or died as a result of their wounds incurred in battle, qualify for a full tuition waiver at any state funded post-secondary school. A $150 stipend, per semester, will be issued to help with books or fees. Download: Application Disabled Veterans Hunting and Fishing License Any veteran rated 100 percent service-connected disabled, qualifies for a free lifetime small game hunting and fishing license in the State of New Mexico. Download: Application Free Annual "Day Use" Pass for Disabled Veterans at New Mexico State Parks New Mexico veterans with a permanent one hundred percent service-connected disability may obtain one non-transferable annual day-use permit at no charge for personal use only. To obtain a permit, an eligible veteran shall present to the NM Parks Division a photocopy of the VA award letter indicating the veteran has a one hundred percent service connected disability; and proof of New Mexico residency, such as a New Mexico driver's license, or other state of New Mexico-issued identification. Veterans' License Plates Any veteran who was honorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the U.S. is eligible for a New Mexico veterans' license plate. A fee and registration is required for some plates. Armed Forces Plate Purple Heart 100% Disabled Veteran Pearl Harbor Survivor Ex-POW Medal of Honor Download: Application Exemption from Excise Taxes on Vehicle Purchases Any veteran who has suffered the loss, or complete loss of use of one or more limbs due to their service in the military shall be exempted from excise taxes when purchasing a new vehicle. Download: Application The Patriot Plate Enabled by 2006 legislation, the Patriot Plate is a special license plate that provides the public with an opportunity to recognize the contributions and sacrifices of the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces. Download: Application World War II and Korean Veterans High School Diploma Any WWII or Korean War veteran who joined the Armed Forces while attending a New Mexico high school prior to graduation is eligible for a high school diploma. Download: Application Military Discharge Papers Protection Military discharge papers filed with County Clerks in the State of New Mexico shall be available only to the veteran who filed them, the veteran's next of kin, or a person holding the veteran's general power of attorney. More info.... Special MacArthur Service Medal The Special MacArthur Service Medal is issued to known members or their survivors of the 200th Coast Artillery who were residents of New Mexico at their original time of entry into the US Military and served under Gen. MacArthur in the Philippine Islands. Special Veterans Day Recreation and Museum Privileges Any New Mexico resident who is currently serving or has served honorably in the U.S. Military, and his or her spouse and children, shall be entitled to the free use of any New Mexico State Park, including the waiving of all admittance, camping, permit or other user fees or charges, and, any exhibit of the Museum of New Mexico, the New Mexico Museum of Natural History, and the New Mexico Museum of Space History. The Special Recreation and Museum Privileges shall be valid only on Veterans Day. New Mexico Personnel Office Veterans Hiring Preference Veterans honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces and applicants currently serving in the National Guard shall have five points added to their final passing numerical scores on screening examinations performed by the State Personnel Office. Veterans honorably discharged with a service-connected disability shall have 10 points added to their final passing numerical scores. State Services Veterans Education and Training Services The State Approval Office is responsible for evaluating and approving education and job training programs under U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, GI Bill regulations. More info... Homeless and At Risk Veteran Services Through contracts with the New Mexico Veterans Integration Center (NMVIC) in Albuquerque and Mesilla Valley Community of Hope in Las Cruces, the Department of Veterans Services provides transition services for homeless and at risk NM veterans. Veterans' Military Honors Coordinates with military and local veteran organizations to provide an honor guard and bugler for military honors funerals for deceased veterans. Download: Vendor Form, VSO Request for Reimbursement Veteran Transportation Service The New Mexico Department of Veterans Services contracts with the Disabled American Veterans to provide veterans who are in need free transportation to the VA Medical Center in Albuquerque or to VA clinics around the state. To request service, call the DAV Transportation office well in advance at 505-256-2821. If you get voicemail, leave a detailed message and be sure to include your telephone number. Pasted from <http://www.dvs.state.nm.us/benefits.html>
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines