Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Would This Be A Cue?

Rate this question

hurryupnwait

Question

This is taken from a denial letter I received in April 1973 from the VARO.

"Available records do not show that you received treatment for this condition during service nor was it recorded in the report of your examination at discharge."

Three days after my back injury my civilian orthopedic surgeon sent a letter to the post commander describing my chief complaint, past history, physical findings and diagnosis with treatment. He also stated that I was unfit for military service.

On my discharge exam it clearly states several back problems and then states unfit for retention.

In November of 1973 the VA sent me for a physical exam. They never sent me any further correspondence about the claim or the results of the exam.

In 1992, I requested my medical records from the VA and found the exam results from November 1973 along with my discharge exam.

It appears that no one at VA may have looked at my discharge exam or any other records.

There were no records available to them because they never requested them.

Thanks again for your help

Paul

When I count my blessings I count my family and friends twice.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Well done is better than well said.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Medically disqualified Discharged 11 December 1972

Why did you not receive disability benefits at the time of your discharge?

Josephine

Hurryup

I am kind of confused now. You were discharged on December 11, 1972, filed a claim in January 1973, and receieved a denial in Aprile 1973, then got an exam at the VA in Novemebr 1973? It is weird that you were medically discharged and did not receive compensation. What were you medically discharged for? (if you don't mind me asking)

Tim

Vet and proud of it

Medically disqualified Discharged 11 December 1972

Why did you not receive disability benefits at the time of your discharge?

Josephine

"Available records do not show that you received treatment for this condition during service nor was it recorded in the report of your examination at discharge. No further action may be taken on your claim unless you submit evidence to show that the condition was incurred in or aggravated by your military service and that it still exists"

In July 1972, I was called to active duty for two weeks amd on the second to last day of duty I injured my back I went to the sick bay and the Doctor told me that since my duty ended the next day that I should continue treatment with my civilian doctor, which I did.

Three days later I saw my civilian orthopedic surgeon, who sent a letter to the post commander describing my chief complaint, past history, physical findings and diagnosis with treatment. He also stated that I was unfit for military service.

On my discharge exam it clearly states several back problems and then states unfit for retention.

"Available records do not show that you received treatment for this condition during service nor was it recorded in the report of your examination at discharge. No further action may be taken on your claim unless you submit evidence to show that the condition was incurred in or aggravated by your military service and that it still exists"

In July 1972, I was called to active duty for two weeks amd on the second to last day of duty I injured my back I went to the sick bay and the Doctor told me that since my duty ended the next day that I should continue treatment with my civilian doctor, which I did.

Three days later I saw my civilian orthopedic surgeon, who sent a letter to the post commander describing my chief complaint, past history, physical findings and diagnosis with treatment. He also stated that I was unfit for military service.

I am beginning to understand, you were either in the Reserves or National Guard? Was there a line of duty investigation regarding the back injury? Who did your discharge physical?

Tim

Vet and proud of it

Sorry for the VA lingo-

here is Myler V Derwinski:

http://www.warms.vba.va.gov/cova/decision/91dec/myler.doc

I sure would file a CUE-if I were you.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have in your possession the sick bay records of the visit to the doctor, this would be the visit the day before your discharge?

Josephine

Hurryup

I am kind of confused now. You were discharged on December 11, 1972, filed a claim in January 1973, and receieved a denial in Aprile 1973, then got an exam at the VA in Novemebr 1973? It is weird that you were medically discharged and did not receive compensation. What were you medically discharged for? (if you don't mind me asking)

Yes, that is the correct chronological order.

In 1992, I requested my medical records from the VA and in there was a medical exam with " Rating Decision " as the heading, which was the first time I had seen this exam. In there, it states "Diagnosis: Muscle strain in the grade 1 Spondylolisthesis L5-S1 level" which was stated to be constitutional or developmental abnormality and there was no aggravation beyond the natural progression adherent in this anomaly.

I never did receive a determination letter from VA after this exam was done